Nova Scotia CGs

Discussion in 'Nova Scotia' started by Caper, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Caper

Caper Member

Our goal is to document the CGs we have attended.

Thus far...

Hidden Hilltop CG in Truro Nova Scotia.
    Well maintained and organized. Plenty for children to do.
    Facilities are amazing.
    mini golf
    small little petting zoo
    Pool
    large park (slides, monkey bars and other park things)and grass area
    100 ft slip and slide (very fun even for adults)
    arcade room / billiards
    various activities for children dependant on day of the week and weather
    hay rides
    rec room
    camp store
    propane filling station as well
    the bathrooms and shower houses are immaculate and updated

Caper

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Hoping to see some NS provincial park reviews. Hoping they are similar in setup as the Ont PP's

3. Winchested

Winchested Member

We will be staying at Blomidon PP for 2 nights without power as there is none there. We will be exploring the Minas basin area rock hounding the surrounding coastline. And murphy's camping on the ocean for two nights to explore the south coast.

Ill update you in a few weeks how they are.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Most NS provincial parks are unserviced, but large semi private sites and full washroom/shower buildings. Water fill station at entry and dump station at exit. Typically water faucets and pit toilets through out.

We've stayed at many of the provincial parks and they are our go to for a quiet camping place versus a entertainment place for the kids.

5. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

Sounds the same, and my ideal set up. I like to get hydro sites if they are avail, but not required. I only really use hydro to charge trolling motor batteries...but canoes work with paddles, so its a pure luxury really.

I'd like to camp out there next year. NS, NB and PEI

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

NS is putting power at least into provincial parks, Five Islands, Caribou-Munroe and Amherst Shore for sure, and I imagine most of the others are in progress too, not sure on completion dates.

7. Caper

Caper Member

Battery Provincial Park, St peters, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
    we stayed here June 19th, 20th and 21st
    Not much for kids to do as far as playgrounds and what not.
    a few hiking trails through the forest.
    The Loop with campsites in the 30's have amazing views over looking the ocean.
    The only bathroom open was the family room because of covid 19 protocols but it was new and immaculately kept.
    The site sizes were huge, we could have had 3 pop ups and 3 tow rigs on our site alone lol

Id give this park a solid **** 4 stars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    InsertWittyNameHere likes this.
  8. Caper

Caper Member

Whycocomagh Provincial park, Whycocomagh, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
    we stayed here June 26th, 27th, 28th.
    There was a playground for kids but it was closed due to covid 19 protocols. There are walking/hiking trails with the trail heads right in the park. And there are many hiking trails in the area a short drive away. We did the Humes River Falls approx a 15 km round trip, I did not complete it as i took some kids back to the car park while my wife and others completed the hike, the pics they have show a beautiful water fall with a nice shallow pool for cooling off.
    The sites are a decent size, water and electric. the washrooms were clean and well kept.

I'd give this park a good *** 3 stars (lack of views)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. InsertWittyNameHere

InsertWittyNameHere New Member

The Islands Provincial Park, Shelburne, Nova Scotia

We really enjoyed this PP campground. It has a nice mixture of wooded sites and water view and waterfront sites. It's directly across Shelburne Harbour from the town, so it has a nice view of the town's beautiful old buildings. Campground staff are very friendly and helpful. We saw people swimming and paddleboarding and the water felt nice on our feet! It has a nice loop to walk through the picnic park area with more views - town on one side, and beautiful wilderness on the other. I also discovered a rail trail right before we left that would have been really nice to walk along through the woods. The park is just down the road from the Birchtown Black Loyalist Heritage site and I think the rail trail may possibly lead there from one side, and to town from the other. Just one item to note, the comfort station (showers and flush toilets) are under construction, so call ahead to see if they're done if that's important to you. Looking forward to going back! It feels like a hidden gem as it's far enough from Halifax that it doesn't seem to fill up too quickly. It's only a 1 hr 1 min drive to Yarmouth if you're looking to do some sight seeing. Cape Forchu is really neat to see!

10. InsertWittyNameHere

InsertWittyNameHere New Member

Salsman Provincial Park, Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Such a sweet place that I don't even know if I want to recommend it. It feels like it's our secret! Beautiful spot on the water. You can truly get away from it all. We spent a day Sherbrooke Village, which I highly recommend if you're into heritage sites.