November 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Added 10 coats of Tung Oil to the chest of Drawers/ Dinette table.

upload_2019-11-21_14-20-20.jpeg

Just for the record I was not the person who spilt coffee on the bare, blond Baltic plywood that forms the table top.

The Shower boxes in the corner are finished with General Finishes hickory stain that has been preconditioned. It comes close to 2014 ALiner stain.

Sjm9911 and dbhost like this.
  4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Looks great. Job well done

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Packing it for the last trip of the year. The electric radiator has been keeping the cabin in the mid-30s into the 40s, depending on how cold the nights have been. We have the access cover off so the warm air reaches the pump, so will reinstall that before we leave in the morning.
    We're going a day earlier than usual, which is a good thing, since it looks like Wednesday will be an icky travel day here in the SW. It's getting windy, so I hope the weather doesn't arrive early. Right now, it is supposed to be rainy part of the time we're in Tucson, so the two rain structures, wind walls, and LP campfire are packed. If it gets too much for all that, we'll be half an hour from our friends' house, so we'll just go there for our main meals, etc. We'll have city water, so will be using that, but will also have a compressor with us, so can blow out the lines again if the lows end up plummeting.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I miss camping around Tucson.

Not sure why you'd be packing it in this time of year though. Just head down the mountain. We camped year round in Arizona pretty much every weekend I wasn't either working, or studying for finals...

I have some very fond memories of camping at Gilbert Ray, and Chiva Falls in the winter months, and General Hitchcock or just dispersed camping in Mt. Lemmon in the spring / summer...

Looks like Albuquerque (spelling is probably wrong, sorry) gets a bunch colder than Tucson... Reflectix in the windows, PUGs over the bunk ends and crank the heater...

I remember heating my VW Bus winter camping on Mt. Lemmon with a little coleman lantern for about 15 minutes before bed. It made it nice and toasty.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our off-season is now usually from just after Thanksgiving to March. My first trip with the trailer for '20 will be to Tucson and Arivaca (south of it) towards the end of March. I went to Grand Canyon in early December one year, but it was a mild week, and worked well. Since our reliable season was much shorter in tents, extending it in the pups and TT has been great.
    Part of the thing for us is getting from here to wherever. Bad storm coming around I-40 level, so if we were heading to Dead Horse Ranch SP in Cottonwood AZ, as planned for next Thanksgiving, we might have to cancel. As it is, cross winds may be an issue tomorrow. If it gets too bad, we'll find a place to stop.
    Another thing is being able to hike or whatever at our destination - we did Thanksgiving in SE NM a few years back, a bad front came through, and we came home a day early. Once we did Carlsbad Caverns and a couple of other things, we were out of things to enjoy in the wind and cold. With PUGs, rugs, an electric heater (no furnace), an electric blanket, we managed lows in the teens, but endurance is not enjoyment.

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I have friends in northern California and lots of family in Oregon, I know about the weather coming in from the west. WOW that looks bad. Combine a blizzard with a hurricane why don't ya? Good luck with that storm and stay safe!

Around here, unless you have a VERY effective AC unit, our tenting season also coincides with openeing weekend of deer season, last weekend of October, until just before easter. Outside of that window you REALLY need air conditioning, at least I do. I can not sleep when it is stifling hot and humid.

Now this is NOT mod related, but rather maintenance. I was able to get over to the camper yesterday and try out my HF 18v cordless drill on the stab jacks. And then thoroughly cleaned and lubed the screw, tried the drill again and got the results I was looking for. I borrowed dry lube from my friend. Don't recall the brand, blue can labelled dry silicone lube. Hoping that's the right stuff.

I see what folks are saying about the inside of the camepr getting dirty even sitting unused. We popped it up and took a shop vac to it.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Due to moving, fencing, etc. the poor thing (and Pebbles) has just sit there looking lonesome and forlorn. Maybe I will get caught up next month and be able to go, My new boat sits beside it and has never gotten wet except for the rain. However your stories and camping adventures have kept me going...

Sjm9911 likes this.