November 2020 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Nov 1, 2020.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Off-season is here for many of us, often time to do repairs and mods, make plans and so on. For those still able to camp, I am somewhat envious.

For those needing a battery charge reminder, here it is.

Our camping season is over, a good month earlier than usual since we got the TT. (I had the second pup out once warm December, but that's not the norm.) I'm getting the last of the bedding washed, letting it set a couple of days after it's out of the dryer, to make sure it's really dry, then putting it in the huge Ziploc bags for winter storage.
    My project for this week is going to be hauling buckets of water out to the TT and putting them down the drain and toilet. Next weekend, we'll take it for the final dump of the year and get it parked well for the winter. [When we arrived home two weeks ago, we planned to have one more trip.]

WannaTravel, DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. kitphantom

It's nice and warm today, so I wrestled the garden hose straight enough to reach the trailer, routed it underneath it and inside, with the addition of the more flexible hose we use with the Hydroflush when we dump. I got the black tank filled and the gray tank read full, though is probably not quite. I also got everything secured, so we're ready for the final tank dump of the season, probably this weekend.
    As an example of strange things that make campers happy, our new sewer hose set arrived today, we ordered it in August. The old one hasn't leaked since that trip, but we'll replace it for next season anyway.

Attached Files:

Kyle R Thorson and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I winterized the water system, threw some Fresh Cab packets around in it, buttoned it up, towed it home, & put a cover on it for the winter.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I visited it in the backyard. Checked the glue traps. Other then that checked on the price of new breaks. Seems that getting all new hubs assemblies with the breaks in them is almlst the same as replacing the pads. Oh well, i have a few months to save up for them.

kcsa75, xvz12 and kitphantom like this.
  5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Officially put it in hibernation until winter. D3984E43-FA56-429F-B411-F5BC57351E41.jpeg

6. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Cleaned, emptied and then towed it to it's indoor heated storage facility. Nice to have the driveway space back for the winter.

Pulled the battery and put it on a tender.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. hoverfish

hoverfish Member

Got the new lid for it out of the garage and temporarily sitting on it, tarped it and it all got snowed on a couple hours later.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Rolled it to a local state park last week and had a good time. I did put plastic trim around some storage area openings that were getting dinged from chair storage.

kitphantom likes this.
  9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Since we are not camping anymore this year I cleaned and winterized the pup. Also cleaned the vinyl on the bunk ends with 303 cleaner. Amazing what came off! Just need to open it up enough to stick some DampRid in there and put a tarp over the roof to keep leaves, snow and ice out of the A/C unit.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

A buddy came up to help replace my ceiling vents in the clipper. Told me for ages "oh it will take a couple hours each". It took four days for that, then another day to replace the cover on the escape hatch and dicor the roof. Then another day to install the new stereo in the dash.

Now I have to get the fuel intake line replaced (burglars cut it to siphon out the gas) and all new tires. Then I'll go camping nearby for a weekend for a dry run before venturing further out. Want to make sure there are no unknown issues from the burglary before venturing too far.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Was alcohol involved?

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

new axle (this one with camber) new (stronger) springs, new suspension bolts and shackles to fix 8,500 miles of wear and tear.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

No. [:D]

It's his usual pattern - once he gets started, he ends up basically rebuilding the entire RV. He just can't stop himself.

It does result in work that doesn't need redoing so I won't complain. [8D]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

New tires, and had the installers check the brakes and repack the bearings while they were at it. It is/was new to us this year so not certain when it was last done and we have a 4 day 600+ mile round trip coming up later this month with it. Need to grease the weight distribution hitch and spray the interior for bugs before our trip this weekend.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I took my high wall to the shop to get the damage from last months deer strike. They will pretty much rebuild the front storage box (thankfully the lid wasnt damaged) and replace a section of fiberglass siding on the drivers side.

kitphantom likes this.
  16. The Jolly Outdoorsman

The Jolly Outdoorsman New Member

Flushed the water heater and replaced the op valve and anode. Replaced the fresh water fill hose which finally gave up after 15 years, and then re-packed the wheel bearings. Hoping for one more weekend trip in the immediate vicinity before winterizing. We're already looking forward to next season!

17. kitphantom

Took it to the KOA for the final dump of the year, also last use of that sewer hose. We have a new one for next season. Discovered we are out of the seal conditioner we use in the toilet, so ordered that, so we didn’t need to rush to our dealer tomorrow. (The state goes into shelter in place Monday, so I bet people will be out stocking up. According the the evening news, they’re already heading to Costco and grocery stores. We had a feeling this was coming, so we’ve been stocking up with staples a bit more than we usually do. I couldn’t figure out if RV supplies are going to come under essential retail)
    Trailer is parked in place for the winter. Not sure if we can get it detailed with the regs beginning Monday, though, so we may end up covering it anyway.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

Today I received the cordless drill crank attachment from Coleman Pop Up Parts.

WooHoo!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. kitphantom

Now that the TT is parked for the winter, I put bowls of baking soda in the cupboard under the wink and fridge/freezer. I've been putting just one of the boxes that have "fabric" sides in the cupboard, but grabbed the wrong style a couple of weeks ago, so decided to go the bowl route and add it to the fridge too. Never gets smelly, except for a bit of the sort of alcohol odor of the RV antifreeze. [We've kept a box in the cupboard since we put the silicone spatter shield under there after doing onions. Turns out silicone really does hold on to odors and can spread them around.]

We now have WiFi in the trailer, which may be nice when I'm using it for project space. We'd bought a new repeater a while back, when we thought ours as going. It seems to be working fine now, so we put the new one in place for the house use, and decided to see if putting it in the garage would allow WiFi in the trailer. With winter coming on, we can't easily use the trailer as a isolation chamber, were one of us to get sick, but it's nice to have WiFi out there anyway. (I suspect we'd still need to run Ethernet if we want to stream video out there, we had to do that for the big TV in the living room.)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. Campergal40

Campergal40 I smell like a campfire!

After our last camp trip of the season (late September this year...a bit early but we’re getting a new canvas!) we took the pup to the car wash and scrubbed it down. Next, I removed all the old caulk and put new caulk down on all the seams. We removed the old canvas in preparation for the new canvas we ordered from Bear Creek. We washed down the entire inside of the camper and vacuumed out all the cupboards and storage bins. I’m now working on repairing (or possibly replacing) the crank assembly on our camper. I’ve never done anything like that before but it seems pretty straightforward. We’ve just got to wash the bedding and put the new canvas on when it gets here and that’ll be the last thing to do until spring!

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.