November 2021 - what did you do for your camper?

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Finally put that 30 amp receptacle on the wall outside the garage and wired it in.

Going on the last trip of the year in two weeks. Plan on doing my winterizing before we leave the campground.

Can you show pics and describe what parts you needed to make that happen?

I'd love to do the same. I guess I should just hire an electrician.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

We have yet to do that, but the warning from the RV Electricity folks is to make sure that any electrician understands what they are installing - apparently even professional electrician can get it incorrect. [https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-30-amp-outlet-rvt-1024/]

Here is a pic of the bracket Courtenay made for the new antenna for the rear view camera. The magnet does hold it tot he bottom, but he made it so it's secured over the top too. For lack of a washer, it did not get installed today.
We're not sure what we'll do when we cover the trailer for the winter, either just remove the antenna, or the whole thing.

Attachments

• antenna bracket.jpg
    antenna bracket.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 17

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
removed screen and fan blade from Fantastic Fan, and took it into the kichen for a through cleaning (necessary because we cook inside the Aliner).

I used mechanics orange hand cleaner (and paper towels) to remove the gease from the fan blades.

The owner's manual tells us that the fan blade and the screen are dishwasher safe on the top rack.

Last edited:

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH

Because my city is quirky about trailers in the driveway, I put in a 30 amp generator inlet. I am fortunate to have a auxiliary panel in my garage 15 feet away.

I used 10/2 Romex and a GFCI single pole 30 amp breaker in the panel to make the connection. You do not want a double pole breaker as that is for 220v connections such as a dryer.

I had to make a dog bone connector to have the right plug for the camper. I used a generator to camper dog bone and put the appropriate end on it.

Now when the city asks about it it is not for the camper but an emergency generator port.

Took about 2 hours to do. Drilling the hole in the brick was the hardest part. That said if you are not sure your abilities, consult an electrician.

Attachments

• 16363028837134773949060500343405.jpg
    16363028837134773949060500343405.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 16363029028723350473907404351466.jpg
    16363029028723350473907404351466.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 16363029285895382212576961764564.jpg
    16363029285895382212576961764564.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Vance

Jul 2, 2016
League City Tx.
Replaced the Seal on the cassette! Thought I did a good thing last year by putting silicone on the seal to keep it lubed. Well turns out petroleum based products will warp it. Had to replace as smell was overwhelming in the pup.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We use a liquid Thetford product to keep the seal "conditioned" on the flush toilet in our TT. No petroleum products in it - in fact, in the description on their website, it mentions that petroleum products will cause swelling and degradation of seals. (https://www.thetford.com/product/toilet-seal-lubricant-and-conditioner/)
I hadn't remembered reading that, the conditioner is just something we found early on with the trailer. It plays well with RV antifreeze, so I keep the seal covered with a mix of both in the winter. 7 years and the seal is still good, although I keep feeling like we're on borrowed time.
I suspect the valve conditioner is just about the same product. We've used that too, but over the off-season, we're going to have those black and gray tank valves replaced, since they are getting to the point where I can hardly open and close them, in spite of conditioner, rinsing well, and lubing the rod on the handles.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The new hinges for the cupboard and bathroom doors arrived, but that will probably be a winter project.
We made more reservations for next year. Last weekend, I got resesrvations at a USFS campground we've used int he past, it makes a good base to explore that section of the state. Today, I was just doing some research on a week in August that would work well for us, and we ended up making reservations for a week at a KOA in Gunnison, CO. We seldom use a KOA as a destination, although they are often an overnight stop for us. This one is centrally located in an area of Colorado we've been wanting to explore more, so we opted to make the reservations. Even for us, this planning way ahead.

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We took the pup for the last trip of the season! It's setup next to the garage now and will be emptied and cleaned before packing it up for the winter. I winterized it before we went on our trip.

Can anyone recommend a cover they like? (Brand) I think I will invest in a cover this year. I usually put a tarp big enough to just cover the roof. I want to make sure to AC unit is protected from snow/ice.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The extension antenna for the rear view camera is now installed on the trailer. Courtney used one of the extra holes on the front MaxxAir vent cover to secure it. We'll see how it works on our Thanksgiving trip.
The repaired closet door is back in place, with new hinges. We figured it made sense to install those now, that door is one of the more difficult to work on. The new ones look pretty much the same as the original ones.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
ordered Dexter heavy duty replacement shackels and bolts for suspension. Ordrered new rear hangers that reportedly will llow use of bronze bushings inside them! I will believe it when I get them in hand. Next up is finding someone to weld them to the trailer (after cutting off the ld rear hangers). Its mostly an overhead weld, so not to be trifled with.

Last edited:

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj

If your confterble working with electric and in panels, its not hard. We can walk you through it. I have a harder time with the 12 v stuff.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Because my city is quirky about trailers in the driveway, I put in a 30 amp generator inlet. I am fortunate to have a auxiliary panel in my garage 15 feet away.

I used 10/2 Romex and a GFCI single pole 30 amp breaker in the panel to make the connection.
Is there a switch between the panel and the "generator inlet"? If not, you have an exposed hot contact when the cover is flipped up.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Is there a switch between the panel and the "generator inlet"? If not, you have an exposed hot contact when the cover is flipped up.
I don’t leave the breaker on for that reason. Were it truly a gen inlet, I would have an interlock on the panel preventing me from turning it on when the main breaker was on.

Austin694

Feb 18, 2015
I have been prepping our Taos for sale. Painting cabinetry, fixing a lot of little things, thorough cleaning of canvas. Installed new laminate and edging on counters. This thing is going to be to nice to sell. Sad to see it go. But picking up new trailer this weekend.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Changing and making plans for trips. Courtenay has a cold, so we've had to cancel the Thanksgiving week trip, so our season is over :sad:. Task today and tomorrow is to undo the packing I'd already done, and get ready to winterize. We're expecting our first, and late, frost this weekend.
However, we were able to add to the trip already planned for May, to meet up with the friends we were going to spend Thanksgiving with.

Latest posts