November 2021 - what did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

bought all four 13" rims rims and 13" radials - "baby's got new shoes".

generok and DiamondGirl like this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Slowly unpacking it, to get it ready for winter. The nice thing about having a travel trailer these days is that it's easy enough to work inside it all winter, even when covered, since there's a big access panel on the door-side. Now that we have a dedicated electric radiator in it, it will be easy enough to turn it on to warm it up when I plan to work in there. With the side flap open, I can run the furnace too if necessary, once the radiator takes the chill off; it often is fine with just the radiator.
    For other camping-related stuff, such as extra paper goods, alternate bedding, and such, the guestroom/storage space/field guide library is getting a re-do this weekend. I think the guest bed has been used maybe 2 or 3 times in the 30+ years we've lived here. Time to donate the bed and make better use of the space; it will become storage with better shelving and outdoor library/exercise room. The gym I've gone to for 14 years, Courtenay for a few, is closing, as the owners retire. They are selling equipment and we're buying the stair step machine - Courtenay has a reputation in the gym, among trainers and members, of being a beast on it, since he trains for his mountains and canyon adventures. We'll see if I can conquer the technique to use the machine, I never did at the gym, but had plenty of other machines to use.

3. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

I finally ordered a tyvek cover. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I can put it on the pup in storage. Eventually planning to put up a covered portable garage for storage.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

Got the old thing tucked in on the patio for the winter. Fortunately, the new patio furniture the wife bought stacks well enough that the trailer still doesn't block the door... I was able to move it myself without hurting the corner of the garage, or my back.;) Having a come-along winch helped this time, so I didn't need help from the neighbor.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  5. Camping Party of 2

Camping Party of 2 Active Member

I made a S'mores Station

Smores station.jpg

generok, DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

247292022_593311601985074_2233921941306458460_n (1).jpg Went out and gave it a hug. It looked so lonely all covered up for the winter.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  7. davido

davido Well-Known Member

November was a bit of a slow month because things got cold. But I didn't do much of an update in October so here's October / November combined:

• Got a Camp Chef 14" dual burner Yukon stove for better outdoor cooking next season.
    • Topped off the water in the batteries.
    • Cleaned the trailer and put the cover back on, and tire covers.
    • Added a 4th bike rack to the crossbars. (I use inexpensive ones on my trailer, and happened to have one more inexpensive one on my car that wasn't needed there anymore). I like keeping the racks on the trailer in the winter as they support the cover and keep the snow load distributed better, while improving ventilation under the cover.
    • Fully winterized. Bought a new water filter and anode for next year. The old anode has enough left to keep it in place through the winter.
    I'm excited about the Yukon stove. I was growing tired of cooking inside the trailer, setting off the smoke alarm, bringing grease and food smells into the trailer, and so on. For cold weather camping it's fine. But in fair weather, and even rainy weather an outdoor stove and outdoor canopy are great. I may get the pizza oven attachment for it, for the kids for Christmas. They would love making their own pizzas and bread sticks camping.

TODO:
    • I really hate the BBQ grill that came with my trailer. It does a good job of burning things in some areas and leaving things in other areas uncooked. So I'll be looking to replace it with something nicer. My requirements are: Needs to stow in the same location as the original (inside the Thetford shower), needs to run off of the LP gas fitting on the side of the trailer. Should hang from the track on the side of the trailer. And absolutely should cook more evenly than the cheap unit that came with the trailer.
    • Thorough cleaning and re-organizing in the spring. It's so easy to carry too much stuff that never gets used.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Do you have this popped under the cover? Seems very tall for a pup!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Bought a new one last month and have a laundry list of things to deal with.

Done:
    • Built a 1/4" plate steel tongue bracket to mount a motorized trailer mover that was meant to be bolted via drilled holes in the frame.
    • Put a filter in the water filter housing....
    • Install my "Home made" wi-fi range booster components.
    • Repair both left and right valance curtains that were separated at a seem for several feet.
    • Install new bolt retainers for spare tire hanger. When spare was removed the bolts just fell out.
    • Spent a few hours underneath and protected/covered with flex tubing and secured all the wiring. Unbelievably a whole gang of some wires hung across the central tube for the lift system and came in to contact with the moving cable if they swung forward at all.
    • Relocate brake wiring as it was zip tied to the back side of the axle with several sections between ties hanging inches below the axle as prime target to be ripped out if passing over trimmed tree protrusions or tall rock at a campground etc... :(
    • Strengthen slide out seat frames with sister boards and a couple extra vertical pieces.
    • Cleaned tent of any dirt/grime/spots
    • Install my mid-frame jack "Sav-A-Jack" removable jack mounts.
    • Ran 12v wire for power to my rear facing camera
    • Mount rear facing camera

To-Do:
    • Awaiting new corner caps from Forest River because a few are cracked and former owner used bathtub caulk as a sealant there.
    • Awaiting new door swing retainer for top of door at roof side-board since one is missing to install.
    • Strengthen frame of front bench seats similar to slide out work.
    • Fix the frame around tire from a past blow-out
    • Wash exterior of dust/dirt from storage space it was in.
    • re-make/trim Reflectix for different window sizes of new camper.
    Probably more but I forget right now.

DiamondGirl, kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I really want to get a 30a receptacle on the outside of my garage too! I have a 20a plug on the opposite side of my driveway from where my RV pad is. What I really want is a 30a AND a 20a receptacle on the other side of my garage, because I park my truck on the RV pad once it freezes in winter, and I need to plug my block heater in and run a cord. The snow blower, on occasion, has found that cord and eaten it!

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, we must have the same snowblower. [:D]

DiamondGirl and generok like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Ok, finished taking the food out, wiped everything down. Sprayed my bug barrier, and put down 10 sticky traps and the irish spring. If nothing else it will smell good from the Irish spring! I used only one poision station this year. Instead of 3. And added the damp rid. Unfortunately, the grill is dirty, and I may not get to removeing it. So thats where the extra sticky traps went. Fridge is off and disinfected. Done for the year.

neighbormike, generok and DiamondGirl like this.
  13. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

Just got back from camping along the Colorado River. Had a blast. Lots of hiking and fishing. Thinking of going back to the same spot next month. Still undecided. We’re looking to buy a tandem kayak for our next camping trip. We can carry it above the truck topper for fishing the river and lakes when camping.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

14. Sjm9911

Those kyacks are heavy. I had one of the sit on top tandems, it went to a freinds on the bay. It just was too much to get up and down off the truck. Good luck. Lift it a few times before buying it.

15. kitphantom

The fridge is emptied and defrosted, water system drained and winterized. Remaining food and all the liquids have been moved into the house. We'll use up a lot of it, so we have an on-going list of things to be restocked for next season. We still need to hook the trailer up and tow it to the local KOA dump station, since we used the tanks on the trip home last month and as I worked in the trailer.
    Inside the house, we decided to re-arrange the shelves with extra camping supplies, as we make room for the stair stepper; we had to unload them anyway to move the shelving. I have no idea why we had kept the broken door latch and a few other bits & pieces.

16. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

@Sjm9911…. Good idea about lifting the kayak before buying. DH and I are looking for one that’s less than 100 pds. I want a 10ft. flat bottom Jon boat but DH wants the kayak. He thinks it weighs less and easier to handle off the truck topper.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

Last night was supposed to get down to 28F, so drained all of the water, blew out lines and vacuumed drains, then removed water filter. Ready for winter.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. kitphantom

@DiamondGirl - have you looked at any of the inflatable etc. kayaks? I know some of the sisters on the Fly have various models of them, which seem to be easier to tote around. Several Sisters had them at an event a couple of years ago, most were solo kayaks, but at least one held two.

The new thermostat is installed, so I can reliably use the furnace now; the old one had not behaved well on the last trip.
    I ordered another wind wall for our Big Agnes shade/rain shelter. We have two, all it's really designed to use; those two are necessary in rain, to direct the rain to the ground, or else it drips off the side roof edges and into the inner footprint by a foot or so. It would be good to have the option to add a third wall on windy days, or if the sun is beating inside through the open end. The friend who camps with me 2 or 3 years was interested in a Clam-type, after seeing them at one event. However, Courtenay and I already own a screen house and the Big Agnes, and I know I can handle either solo, and neither is as heavy and bulky as a Clam. I also don't want to have to find storage space for another shelter.

DiamondGirl, theseus and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I didn't install them since it is -6F and the rig is in storage, but the new equalizers came! Now I need to order the wet bolts and thicker shackles. The problem is I need to know my bolt length. To do that, I need to take my calipers out to the rig and get under it. Maybe if it gets above zero that sounds fun. No rush, I can't do it until the end of April anyway.

I've run into the problem where I order RV stuff in the winter because it is in stock. I then stockpile it until I do my pre-season projects. The issue is if something is the wrong size, or doesn't work, I'm out of the return window when I buy stuff in Nov/Dec and don't go to install it or use it until Apr/May. So, I need to be careful, but I also have to acknowledge that with supply chain issues these days, you can't expect "just in time" delivery to be your friend.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to me! (They're under the tree now!).

upload_2021-11-29_7-46-15.png

20. Sjm9911

I order stuff in the winter, then put it someplace and can not find it in the spring. Eventually it will turn up. But after i buy a 2nd, or say why did I get that.