Nowhere left to turn-Desperate

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by kreckley, Oct 14, 2021.

1. kreckley

kreckley New Member

Hi
    Anyone with knowledge about the L&W lift system that can help me troubleshoot? I have exhausted my research and my knowledge and am stuck with a camper in my driveway with the roof propped up with 2x4's and the weather about to change. I've posted in forums without response. There is no one in this area that does repairs, and I can't move it.

When I started working on the camper, everything worked. The camper roof leaned to the rear and there was a clunk in the front driver's side corner, but I could open and close it without difficulty. It is so messed up now, and I don't know how I got here or how to fix it.

Currently, the tension on the cable in the rear driver's side corner is so tight that I cannot manually pull on it. The winch is cranked almost all the way down, and the cables on the passenger side have a lot of slack. I've removed the new push rod and the cable and slug without difficulty. When I put the cable back in the track followed by the push rod, the cable is sucked into the track like a strong vacuum cleaner. It's impossible to hold onto it to keep some slack.

At the same time, the telescopic posts on the same side now refuse to work. With the beds out and the placement of the air conditioner more towards the front of the camper, the lean shifted to the front of the camper, so I don't think the posts are bent. But I can't get them apart to see. I can't tell if any of the parts are now in need of repair or replacement or if something is stuck.

I've been following the instructions recommended by many members here. I've watched many videos and read many posts, and I have not found my issues addressed anywhere.

2. rtd

rtd New Member

I am just finishing up the repair on my Jayco with the L&W lift system. I was 'inconvenienced' at two campouts with a roof that wouldn't come down. Each time was a different rear corner.
    I ended up both times removing inside panels in the rear of the camper and tugging on the cables to coax the top down. My repair consisted of buying new cables and a front driver's side pulley bracket. The two rear post cables travel through this pulley. What was happening is the cables had sawn through the bracket over time to where the cables would jump off the pulley and wedge themselves against the bracket at floor level. I noticed my new bracket had been redesigned so this can't happen anymore.
    I feel your pain. At the last campout I was fighting getting the jammed roof down while thunder told me a storm was coming.

The thing now is getting the camper fixed while it's been open in my driveway with rain pelting it for the last two weeks while I was diagnosing the problem and ordering parts. I now have to wait until the canvas is dry before I can close it up and put it into winter storage. Wisconsin weather can be anything it seems this time of year.

Kudos to popupparts.com for their fast service, though.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Look on craigslist for a local handyman

4. kreckley

kreckley New Member

5. kreckley

kreckley New Member

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM with the service manual I found. Hope it helps.

7. kreckley

kreckley New Member

I have all new cables and a pulley that I hoped to install, but I can't even get the camper in a position to do the work. Maybe you have a suggestion that would help. Keeping the roof propped up to do the work has been a nightmare.

The telescopic posts are still attached to the roof on the passenger side, and they and the cables on that side still work...at least they did the last time I used them. The telescopic posts on the driver's side are not attached to the roof and no longer raise to get them in a position to reattach to the roof (they were working fine until the side cap had to come off for the umpteenth time. With the 2x4's propping up the roof on the front and back sides, the roof leans way to the front for two reasons: 1. the weight of the air conditioner on the top is toward the front of the roof and 2. the driver's side rear corner is an inch higher than the front. If I detach the post from the passenger side rear, which I need to do if I'm going to replace the floor pulley on the opposite corner, only one telescopic post will be left attached to the roof, and I'm pretty sure the roof will give way. Which is why the posts keep getting moved. When I'm not working on the camper, posts go in on the sidecaps to give the roof more stability and to allow the canvas to cover the front and rear so no rain gets in. Then posts have to moved to the front and rear when the sidecap comes off. Each time a support 2x4 is removed, the height of the corner changes just enough so that the 2x4 is no longer the right length.

The only thing I can think to do next is to replace that pulley in the driver's side rear where most of the problems seem to be. The two rear cables travel through that pulley. With the problems I've had with tension on that cable, the pulley has bent. I can't replace that pulley without removing the cables, push rods, and posts from both rear corners. I can't do that until I find a solution for keeping the roof up and stable. If I try to adjust the height of one corner of the roof, I risk having the supports for the other corners fall out.

How are you supporting your roof and are you having any issues with the height of the corners or with the roof leaning? There's no guarantee that replacing the pulley will solve the problem, and then I still have to get the roof down. I don't know 4 people willing to try to lower this roof from its current position.

8. kreckley

kreckley New Member

How do I find my PM?

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Here's one. If you click on you name (screen upper right), the Conversations, you should see the Private Message.

Attached Files:

10. kreckley

kreckley New Member

Found it. Thanks. Yes, I have that manual. That is what I used to replace the coils on the driver's side. I'm pretty confident that I can replace the cables and the pulley that is giving me problems, but I'm not confident that replacement will resolve my issues or that replacement won't create yet another problem. The issues I'm having now are not addressed in that manual nor do they appear to be addressed in any forum. In addition to the original problems, two of the telescopic posts that worked fine when I started working on the camper will not raise now. Replacing those posts would add far too much cost to this already costly project. I'm doubting now that the coils ever needed replacing but that's what a repair person told me they thought the problem was. Of course, they wanted $600 to repair a $22 part. I've learned through forums that replacing the bushing set in the telescopic posts might be a solution, but there is nothing in that manual about making that repair, and I can't get the posts apart to see if the bushing set needs to be replaced. Too much information needed that is left out of manuals.