NPS Testing Cashless Entry Fee Collection

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
just be sure to buy your digital permit when you have cell reception.

We may have spawned a monster with Recreation.gov (upper management is salivating over all the reporting that it can potentially do)

Last edited:

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Grand Canyon has been "card preferred" then "no cash" for at least a couple of years. We first saw it at North Rim, where the entrance station is 30 miles from Jacob Lake, which is basically a place with a lodge, and small visitor information center. (It's another 14 miles from the entrance station to the Rim.) So, not exactly a place where banking services are easy to come by. I suspect it's easier for the park service, et al to cope with plastic than cash and change. However, last I knew showers and laundromat at both Rims needed quarters, figure that out.
Many places, the ones that managed to be open anyway, seemed to go to cards preferred or cards only when the pandemic was in full swing.
My husband began buying an annual national park pass back in the late '80s, so it's something we've always done. I've had my permanent senior pass for a while, so we don't usually buy an entrance fee or annual pass. Courtenay will pay the entrance fee for Grand Canyon as part of the fees for his raft trip this year.
They do have machines at the entrances for after/before hours entry, and there is now a machine at Mather Campground for use when they have FCFS campsites. [Usually that is just in the winter, but this year they will have some FCFS sites, as available, most or all of the year, since they are repaving campground loops. Each loop is out of the reservation pool for a set time, but I guess they will release some for FCFS as paving allows.]
This is what's on the website today for entrance fees:
  • Desert View (East Entrance) and South Entrance Is Open 24/7. Credit cards, Recreation.gov, Your Pass Now, and America the Beautiful passes are accepted for entry. Cash is not accepted at this time. More >
  • Entrances Fees: Entrance Fees are paid at the entrance stations, or by purchasing a pass in advance from nearby third-party vendors, or online, through Recreation.gov, or YourPassNow. All annual passes are available for purchase at the park's entrance stations.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Jimbow
I'll pay with my watch or phone>>

Not for long. The US central bank AKA the Fed has plans to come out with the US gov bitcoin. No more underground economy. instant income tax colleection. control over what you buy.

You buying tooo much gas, you money is cut off.

You'll loev it

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
It's not just NPS. The booth at one of the ACOE campgrounds near our regular destination has been boarded up and there is a sign that all reservations and payments must be made via Recreation.gov.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
Everyone is taking advantage of the pandemic to implement new business models that the public would not of accepted otherwise. We are going camping for a week in the White Mountains at the end of July. Every activity like a tram ride, mountain coaster, cog railroad even parking at Echo Lake requires a prepaid reservation that can't be canceled. My wife has booked activities and we are at the merci of the weather. For a family of 5 it is $140 to ride the tram to the top of Cannon Mountain. We would never do it unless it was good weather but now we will have to go unless it is closed due to inclement weather. They allow you to change your reservation date if you cancel early enough but that is no use.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
@Jimbow
I'll pay with my watch or phone>>

Not for long. The US central bank AKA the Fed has plans to come out with the US gov bitcoin. No more underground economy. instant income tax colleection. control over what you buy.

You buying tooo much gas, you money is cut off.

You'll loev it
That would be amazing. It would also crush the international oil trade since oil is traded worldwide in dollars. Hopefully they will centralize consumer nessessities and just provide them instead of using the Bitcoin.

Also a great way to avoid hoarding. No more of overbuying toilet paper.

When will they be rolling that out?

Last edited:

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Jimbow
We disagree. The total loss of privacy.... Hey Jimbow. The computer says your drinking too much. We're going to cut off your funds. Also your fat so you cant buy at Mcdonalds. Study your history.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Again, perfect. I can't seem to follow my doctor's advice. I'll live longer.

It's about time the government stood up to big business and the wealthy business owners who fund their campaigns. Can you imagine the reaction when Walmart and Amazon can't just unload any crap to consumers? How about the fast food industry finding out the government is limiting how much of their food they can sell. WOW!

Will they be limiting guns? I'm certain the gun lobby will be furious with all the money they pump in.

And all those countries who will be holding worthless US dollars. Cripple those countries.

When are you thinking this will happen? Before the next election?