NTU pup, CO detector low voltage beep

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jamsomito, Nov 8, 2021.

  1. jamsomito

    jamsomito New Member

    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    20
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2021
    Got our NTU pup a couple weeks ago. We've been in and out to get familiar with it but haven't taken any trips. I noticed a beep coming from the trailer in the driveway the other day and turns out it was the CO/propane detector with a low voltage warning. I looked it over and it's hard wired into the camper, with no noticeable user-serviceable backup battery. So I had to guess it was a low camper 12v battery...

    I also noticed that the radio head unit screen is always lit up. I flipped all the breakers off at the load center and it stayed lit up. Is the radio hard wired to the battery? Would this be draining it?

    We brought the camper home with a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter, so I'm not sure when was the last time the battery was charged... But it's odd to me that it would have gone flat in my driveway after a week or two.

    How frequently do I have to charge the battery? Is the CO sensor or radio a significant drain in the battery? Should these be always-on?

    Thanks for any tips.
     
  2. tenttrailer

    tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

    Messages:
    3,735
    Likes Received:
    642
    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2013
    Location:
    Thornville, OH
    The CO and radio are run off the 12v system. The 12V system is powered off the fuses.

    On one of my camper I would remove the co fuse. Radio I just add a switch to the power for the pre selects. Most radios have two power wires. One that turns off when the ignition is turned off. The other which is normaly always powered to keep the settings for the preselected things. I switch both off in my campers to save battery.
     
  3. PopUpSteve

    PopUpSteve Administrator

    Messages:
    20,015
    Likes Received:
    2,934
    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2002
    Location:
    Malvern, PA
    @tenttrailer is correct.

    I could never understand why the kill switch doesn't cut power to everything inside the camper, with the exception of the fridge. Would that not make sense? Why would you need power going to the radio or the CO detector with the camper closed up?
     
  4. F. Jake Glotz

    F. Jake Glotz New Member

    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    13
    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2021
    We didn’t get out as much this last year, so I didn’t charge or manage the battery as well as usual. I noticed the the low voltage beep going off. I suspect it drew the battery down over several weeks. This year the pup is stored in RV storage, but the batter is store in garage where I can put the battery tender on it.
     
  5. kitphantom

    kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

    Messages:
    13,221
    Likes Received:
    2,333
    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Many add a battery cutoff switch, ours was in the battery box (doesn't fit on our current dual 6v battery set up) or a marine switch on the outside.
    Th LP/CO detectors are a phantom draw. At some point, I calculated the LP one on our second popup took the battery down about 10% a week.
    When we pulled the battery off the popup, we put it on the charge in the garage about once a month during the off-season. (With our current small travel trailer, which is smaller than some of the larger popups, we just leave it plugged year round, since it lives in the driveway. Even when it's covered during the winter, I occasionally go into it and work on things.)
    ETA: Every year, here on the Portal, the reports of chirping from inside closed campers increases a while after people put them away for the winter.
     
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    kcsa75 and F. Jake Glotz like this.
  6. kmbarreiros

    kmbarreiros Active Member

    Messages:
    184
    Likes Received:
    98
    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2014
    Location:
    Fairhaven, MA
    FYI aftermarket radios have 3 power wires coming off the back off it.
    Yellow is the battery lead and always needs a connection (or else it will loose its memory).
    Red is the ignition turn on wire (this should be on the main switch that turns the power on and off with the pup or its own switch).
    Black is your ground.

    As long as the red wire is switched off even though the yellow wire is still connected to the battery it would take months for it to drain the power.
    I suspect on your pup the red and yellow wire are connected together right to the battery hence why it is always on.
     
  7. tfischer

    tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

    Messages:
    4,726
    Likes Received:
    2,337
    Joined:
    May 21, 2014
    Location:
    Plymouth (Minneapolis) Minnesota
    Lots of people add battery cutoff switches. I'm a simple man and just pull the fuse near the battery to cut off power when the camper is in storage and not plugged in.
     
    kcsa75 likes this.
  8. PopUpSteve

    PopUpSteve Administrator

    Messages:
    20,015
    Likes Received:
    2,934
    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2002
    Location:
    Malvern, PA
    I remove the batteries (propane tanks and just about everything else) for the winter and take it all home (camper's at a storage yard). You know, in case the world ends and I need power and propane. [:D]

    If I have a little notice, I'll go get the camper too. [LOL]
     
    SteveP likes this.

Share This Page