NWT Campgrounds - All the info you need

Discussion in 'Northwest Territories' started by Poole, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Poole

Poole New Member

Having lived in Yellowknife for the last 5 years and having the opportunity to experience many of the provincial campgrounds, I decided maybe people here would like to maybe contemplate an adventure to the far Canadian north.

The following link is a direct link to the maion website for all of the NWT's provinvial parks with camping facilities. Most of the individual parks on this website actually have pictures of each site in the park, which is very handy when planning a trip.

http://www.nwtparks.ca/campgrounds

Having lived in Yellowknife, the majority of my camping was done in Fred Henne, Prelude Lake and Reid Lake. These are all nice camping locations, but out of all the parks, my absolute favourite is Lady Evelyn Falls outside of a little native community called Kakisa. The campgrounds there are surrounding a fairly large waterfall, and being so outm of the way, is very quiet and peaceful.

One thing to keep in mind if you actually end up camping in the north. If your camping during the height of the summer, you need to keep in mind that the sun sets at about 2:30 AM and then rises again at about 3:00 AM, with a brief "dusk" period in between.

All in all, I think it's an awesome place to camp.