NY- Electric in State parks?????

Discussion in 'New York' started by Vinchenzzi, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Vinchenzzi

Vinchenzzi New Member

I live in the Albany area of NY, does anyone know of any state parks that have electric, dont need the water so much my PUP has an 18 gallon tank that should be sufficient for us and I know you can get more there somewhere but I need electric for the children. I saw another post on here about it but not very many suggestions so I thought I would try again. I know alot of private places that have it, I am trying to support the state a little.

2. Krafty

Krafty New Member

From my experience all the NYSP I have been to and looked at have at least electric. however none of the parks I have been to have water or sewer hook ups. I would suggest you go to Reserve America and look for NYSP in your area and from that site it will tell you the amenities of the park and specifics of the sites.
    I live in WNY near Fredonia this is my experience form this neck of NY. We are about to adventure to Lechworth SP at the end og the month and have a electric site reserved.
    List of parks from here with electric I have knowledge of are:
    Lake Erie
    Even Angola
    Allegheny
    Lechworth
    4 mile creek

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

From my searching of NY State parks, it seems most have electrical hook ups except those in the Adirondack region, I might be wrong on this but it seems almost every other park has hydro. The next thing is that many of the parks are approaching their closing dates, I know a few have already closed some sections of their parks.

4. LynnAllen02

LynnAllen02 Active Member

Hi there,

On ReserveAmerica select NY, pick a date, number of days and search. Then on the left you will see search option "spot with..." and choose electric. You will see some private and all the state campgrounds with electric that use the system for reservations.

General rule of thumb the NYS DEC (Dept of Env Conservation) campgrounds do not have hook ups of any kind. They are in the Adirondacks and the Catskills parks. Their campgrounds are built around us enjoying the nature with generally larger sites, dump stations, picnic table and fireplace at each site. Education is at the core of their work so that we won't mind paying taxes for the benefit of keeping "nature" for our citizens.

The state campgrounds have lots more amenities but they seem to group all the campers in one spot with smaller less private sites. This on the other hand leaves alot more space for everyone to enjoy for recreation.

DH and I like the DEC campgrounds as we are trying to get away from it all...and like the more spacious sites, and use our battery power for our needs.

Enjoy, there are plenty of wonderful state campgrounds in NY and one could spend along time visiting them all!

Letchworth is supposed to be beautiful by the way.

Lynn

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Letchworth is amazing, if you click the lil camera icon over there <--- you'll see pictures from our week trip this July/August.

6. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Allegany State Park has electric sites. But, I will warn you of two things. First off, if you look at a campground map on ReserveAmerica or some other source, make sure you pay particular attention to the 'legend' of the map. Here in PA, the state park campground maps show the site numbers of the electric sites 'shaded' and the non-electric sites are not. The map I looked at for Allegany was the exact opposite. I thought I had reserved an electric site, but it turned out to be non-electric. As it turned out, it wasn't an issue for us. We got through 4 nights on the battery without a problem.

Secondly, while at Allegany, I went around and looked in the boxes in a few electric sites. Oh, alright - I'll admit it - I needed to recharge my camera battery and I found an empty site and plugged it in overnight. None of the boxes I looked in had a 30A plug. So, if your camper has a 30A plug, you would be wise to get an adaptor and take it with you - just in case. Also be advised that, if this is the case, you won't be able to run any accessories that require 30A.

Good luck to you. BTW - my photos from our stay at Allegany can be seen at http://picasaweb.google.com/1themanfromvan/AlleganyStateParkSalamancaNY#

7. Vinchenzzi

Vinchenzzi New Member

Thanks everyone, I was told otherwise, everyone I talked to said there was no electric at any state campgrounds, I am glad they were mistaken. Lynn and Snow, thanks for the input on Letchworth, I will definately be making a trip there next year, those pics are awesome. Is that canyon you had a pic of hard to find. I cant wait to take my son galavanting around out there, To bad I just bought this PUP a week ago but it was tough talking my wife into it. Well hurry up winter and hope the groundhog shadows early.thanks again everyone

8. yellowbearcat

yellowbearcat Lafayette CO

Green lake,Macomb Reservation and Gilbert lake all have electric.
    Hope this helps
    Catherine

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The canyon is real easy to find, on the main road running through the park. Your son will have a ball, Mine did.