NY-Four Mile Creek State Park

Discussion in 'New York' started by KJcachers, Feb 21, 2011.

1. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Anybody have any input on this campground? Photos look good on the campingphotos.com site. Dry camping for the 4th of July!

2. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

I think someone on the site posted a good review for this campground as I have bookmarked the park. The only reason I would have done that is to go there someday.

Rob

3. boobeeko1

boobeeko1 New Member

Highly recommend this park. We tent camped their in August 05 before we got our PUP. Campsites had all grass with no dirt patches and bathrooms where kept clear. Been to about 30 parks and this one was one of the nicest we stayed in. BTW the sites where huge and your about 20 minutes from the falls.

4. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

going to be a zoo over the 4th of July but it wouldn't be a vacation without crowds! [LOL] wish us luck!

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I stayed there last June, partly for the PUP Rally and also to visit friends nearby. It was very nice, and I think all the sites have electricity, I know mine did. Lots of grassy areas - to my now western-accustomed eyes, it is one of the very groomed-looking parks, but it was nice to be on the lake shore (not my site, just the park).

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Most of the electrics are gone for the 4th. We are looking at a lakeside non electric site.

7. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

You may want to check this thread; http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=19194.740

We went to 4-Mile campground two summers ago and really loved it. The Niagara Fort is a must.Parking at the Falls and other State Parks is free with your campground ticket reservation.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just one thing to note.. the water side sites in the non electric loops are about 100 ft away from the water... Twice I have stayed in the non electric side and both times we stayed in site number 177 IIRC (I'll double check that.. ) The only problem with this sites is it is a hill.. except for the very bottom beside the oak tree... But we managed to fit our 12 ft box on the site.. From driving around I would almost prefer the 300 loop over the 100 non electrical loop.

9. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

We attended a rally in July 09. The park is nice with grass sites. Close to the Falls and your camping pass give you free parking at the Grand Island SP if you can find parking.
    Happy Camping
    Ken

10. mikenews

mikenews New Member

This is by far one of my favorite state parks in WNY!

11. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Reservations made! July 3-5! got one of the last electric sites in the 200 loop that wasn't right next to the store.

12. IMHIP2

IMHIP2 New Member

Based on what so of you have said above, we are thinking of camping here over the Easter weekend on our own or perhaps Fathers day weekend with a few family friends in their tents. [CP]

Couple of questions - is there a grocery store nearby? Does it sell beer/wine or is there a liquor store close? I did notice there is a Super Walmart (do they sell beer/wine in WNY?) within 10 miles so worse case senerio we can go there (is Walmart even open on Good Friday?).

As we would be crossing from Ontario I'm thinking we would forgo buying food and booze until we arrived in NY so as not to have problems importing food on the prohibited list (meat/Fruit/veg).

Any help would be appreciated.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I am sure there is a grocery store in Lewiston, but I myself have never been there... We usually cross right at the Rainbow bridge (downtown Niagara Falls) and head right into the heart of the tourist shopping (Walmart, Target, Kmart, Wegman's and Top's) and pickup the stuff we need... Last summer I got a Wagman's discount card (free) and have probably saved over $200 in 4 trips through the area last year. The two cheapest places to buy your "adult" drinks would be Wagman's and Top's... you can get a case of "Imported" Canadian beer for about $1.00 per bottle (many times even less), If you want the extra large single bottles
    then head to Top's, they cost about $1.50 each... Remember you can bring back up to 24 bottles of beer per adult if your out of Canada for 48hrs (not counting the day you leave the Country).

I would suggest doing the same thing.. Depending on what guard (US Customs) inspects your papers (make sure you have passports, dogs papers etc.) they may want to inspect your vehicle ... I can tell you for a fact that they do not like onions, potatoes or fruit entering the USA. Also don't try to carry firewood across the border.. I have heard of them turning people around and sending them back to drop off the wood..

What bridge do you plan to cross at?? The Queenston-Lewiston bridge is the closest to the campground..and will save you about 40 minutes, over going to the Rainbow bridge.. But keep in mind all the transport traffic and impotation of goods (to either Country) is done at the Q&L bridge.. and I have seen it lined up all the way back to the QEW... The Rainbow Bridge is right downtown by the Falls... Is for the most part the better place to cross.. I have seen it lined up too but generally not as bad. The Rainbow is the closest crossing point you can get to the shopping district on the US side...

Couple other things... the highway from NF (in the States) to the campground does have a few confusing sections.. like the bear left but turn right kind... if you know what I mean... I toured around the area a few times last year ... think in one night I passed the University and the Hydro plant about 5 times each ... [;)] .. I would print off a bunch of Google maps showing the route you want to take to and from the bridges to the cg and also into the shopping area...

Anything else.. Just ask...

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Looks like there are a couple of small grocery stores in Youngstown (where my college roommate and family live) and a Tops in Lewiston (her home town & I think where one daughter worked as a teenager). The nearest Wegman's is listed as Military Rd. In NF. I picked up supplies in Lewiston last year when I was staying at Four Mile.

Yes, the road system around that area can be confusing, and has been for years. As familiar as I used to be with the area, I made the mistake of not going over the Mapquest route (from another SP) very closely before getting on the road, and ended up going farther than needed to get to Four Mile Creek SP, including a close up view of the power plant. [If you do go into Lewiston for supplies, do notice the fire hydrants, last I knew they were all painted as soldiers, I believe from the War of 1812.]

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes I got to know that road at the Hydro plant real well ... lol

I do know that straight out from the park is a golf course... found that when me and a buddy were out "exploring" the area, saw many things that make you go "hmmmmm"

Another thing I have been told is a must do while up that direction is to go to Fort Niagara ... the fort dates back prior to the war of 1812 and was actually held by the Canadians (British) for a time before the end of the war... We have never been to the fort, we were thinking on going last year but its hard with the dog.. we did find a few doggie daycares in the area, but decided just to do the cross border shopping things instead...

16. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

17. IMHIP2

IMHIP2 New Member

Thanks everyone for the tips and the link to the pictures of each site with numbers is great!

I'd planned on crossing Queeston/Lewiston as we would be coming from T.O. but will definitely monitor the crossings for wait times and choose accordingly. I will [RTM] the map and use Garmin to help me get lost [;)] but atleast I know up front its not easy to find to I will have my spotters on the lookout.

I'm fairly sure DD1 won't be coming which means the dog can stay home but if he needs to come then I have his papers and yes we all have our passports.

I will search out Wegmans and Tops as food and adult beverages would be a must. Part of the reason for a trip just over the boarder is to partake in some duty free beverages, shopping and to see the fort.

18. CampRat

CampRat New Member

This campground is excellent. We tent camped there with a 2 year old with no problems. Non Electric site was level and clean. Restroom and showers were clean and place was quiet even on a Memorial Day weekend. There is a Tops in Lewiston right off the Robert Moses and a small Supermarket in Youngstown. If you go to Lweiston you might want to try dining at Steelheads Irish Pub excellent food and service. I would recommend this place for everyone and plan on going back there again and again. I never get sick of seeing Old Fort Niagara!

19. IMHIP2

IMHIP2 New Member

Still hoping to be able to go this weekends but I thought the weather for late April would be better [{}=]

Confirmed with Tops that they are open regular hours both Good Friday and Easter Sunday so no need to worry about food.

20. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

we will be there for the week of the 4th of July. Fireworks over the Falls???