NY-Stonybrook?

Discussion in 'New York' started by jasf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jasf

jasf New Member

DW & DDs went hiking in the park last weekend. Said the camping are looked really nice. I have never laid eyes on the place so looking for some recommendations from anyone that's been there.

2. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

We camped at Stony Brook a couple years ago. The site large enough for us. Quiet at night. On Sunday we stayed and had a picnic down below in the picnic area after the check out time. Another nice park in the area is Letchworth at Mt. Morris.
    Happy camping
    Ken

3. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

I grew up in Stony Brook, Long Island, New York! I know there's no campgrounds there, you had me fooled.

4. jasf

jasf New Member

I think we'll give it a try. Thanks for the input. I'm not a big fan of Letchworth though.

5. Clueless

Clueless I use to have a handle on life but it broke.

Actually I did grow up in Stonybrook! We use to ride our bicycles from our house to there when we were little and had many keg parties umm... I mean Softball games later in life up there. I've been there at least 300 times. Man did you just make me homesick. lol I love that park! On our last road trip last fall to NY we stopped in and hiked the gorge from the bottom up to to the CG and then walked the upper path on the way back. It was nice to see that nothing has changed since I was a little kid. Well... except they don't fill the pool (dam the creek) in the the lower park anymore. Boy was that water cold.

There isn't much to do around the Dansville area but if you want to camp and hike in a peaceful park then Stonybrook is the place.

Man am I homesick. [:!]

6. jasf

jasf New Member

Sorry to make you homesick :(. I know there is nothing in Dansville.......perfect!

7. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

Another Stony Brook homeboy. Grew up in Dansville and Yes there is nothing there. But Stony Brook is still one of my favorites. A neat feature if you camp with others is they have double deep sites. No electricity or water but still worth it