NY Wildwood state park- beware of thieves!

Discussion in 'New York' started by gojeepgo, Aug 29, 2010.

1. gojeepgo

gojeepgo New Member

I just came back from a week long trip at Wildwood SP (4 days of rain). Just wanted to give anyone visiting a warning to lock you bicycles up at night. We woke up Thursday morning to discover that mutiple campers were missing bicycles, mostly 20" BMX style bikes. Some campers were also missing coolers, or had the coolers raided. According to people familiar with the area its common for kids to sneak in late at night and steal things. A neighboring camper heard some noise at about 430am and discovered a bike missing from his site. He rode around the campgroud with his truck and found his sons bike. The kids disappeared into the woods on the multiple trails and out through holes in the fences. All of the thefts were isolated to the RV area of the park since it is closest to the entrance and side, the tent area was not effected. Luckily I had our bikes in the van overnight to keep them out of the rain. There were some sad kids and mad parents this week.

2. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks for the heads up. This is almost the only campground near the part of LI where I grew up, so it had been on my list. It's definitely the closest one.

3. gojeepgo

gojeepgo New Member

Its still a good campground other that the thefts. We went last year for a week and will go again next year. We will just make sure we lock everything up at night. During the day it is not a problem, there were so many families around sitting outside watching the kids play and ride bikes..

Oh, besides the theives watch out for deer ticks!

4. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

Indian Island CG, which is about 20 minutes away from Wildwood sometimes has the same problem. My wifes bike was stolen from there along with 2 others that night and a couple the week before. That was the first time we hadn't locked up the bikes. It was ab out 10 yrs ago. At the time, the park cops told us that they thought it was the immigrant farm workers in the area since at the time, Indian Isl. was surrounded by more farms than now.
    We just spent a week at Acadia NP in Maine and it didn't look like any bikes were locked up there.

5. ambulancetech

ambulancetech New Member

I have never had a problem at Indian Island, but I can see this happening anywhere and at anytime. Said commentary on our society. I did however have my cooler broken into by a masked bandit in the middle of the night.