NYS Thruway

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by kitphantom, Oct 14, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Can someone point me in the direction of a really simple explanation of how “tolling” as they term it on the website works for out of state folks, especially towing? I found how to buy EZ passes, but I really don’t need one except for occasional trips. I grew up with the Thruway and it seemed much easier when there were toll takers.
    I am making plans to visit my old stomping grounds in WNY and going where I need to go, towing, will just be shorter if I use the Thruway. Try to get from near one friend (Youngstown, NY) back to Ohio looks to be just crazy-making without the Thruway. I a do the entire rest of the trip from NM to NY to OH and home to NM without hitting other toll roads.

2. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Step 1) Buy an ez-pass
    Step 2) Link it to your credit card
    Step 3) use the services
    Step 4) Get taken over the coals for your business.

But really, depending on your class (likely 3L with a single axle towable) can be found using the online calculator: (bad link, so direct: https://wwwapps.thruway.ny.gov/tollcalculator/index.aspx )

Assuming PA line to Buffalo 290 split:
    upload_2021-10-14_19-32-4.png

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't know about that area. In some places they may still have a single toll booth operator that can take cash however many may still require exact cash. Some places however have completely did away with toll booth operators all together and only have ez pass lanes. I personally only use toll roads when I'm traveling. So got an ez pass connected with my truck and camper. So I have freedom to use whatever booth I want. My ez pass I think only gets used once a year if that. So sometimes I may have to go online to activate my account again before a trip and be sure I have a current card attached to it. I get where you are coming from but with tolls so expensive now it honestly is easier to use ez pass. I don't want to keep $100 worth of singles on hand. Went to the eastern shore once and spent over $55.00 on tolls alone. Long gone are the days you only spent $0.50.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sorry no help, i went to ez pass a while back. I know a lot of places went collecterless with covid. I do know that ez pass used to have a discounted toll. So it may be worth getting. Pa, sends the bill to your address after running the plate. I have no idea what NY does.

5. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Im not 100% positive on this bc I have the ez pass but I think they take a pic of your plates as you drive through and send a bill to your house.