O.H. Ivie Lake

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Yar, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

DW's brother and family are wanting to plan a camping trip to O.H. Ivie lake. I can't really find a lot of information about camping around this lake. From what I have seen it is pretty much a lake for bass fishing and not really setup for camping. I did find one video that shows a camp site on pretty flat land with scrub brush, mesquite and not much more.

Has anyone been camping at this lake? If so, is it a good place to camp or just a good place to setup for fishing? Any information will be great.

Thanks.... Ed

2. bradnailer

bradnailer New Member

The lake was built strictly for water supply for the surrounding area. Mostly the lake is a fishing and skiing lake. Not sure where you live but there are prettier places to camp in the area like Lake Brownwood State Park. Lake Colorado City State park is decent along with Davis Mountains State Park. When we camp this time of the year, we generally head down to the Hill Country. In fact, we are heading there next week.

3. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

We live in Garland, just NE of Dallas, and usually camp in the hill country, East TX and North TX. We showed my brother-in-law the video I found and they have cancelled the trip to there. Thanks for the info.

Ed

4. bradnailer

bradnailer New Member

Very familiar with Garland. We lived around NW highway and La Prada for about five years in the late 70's and early 80's.

If you were looking to head a little west and didn't want to do the Hill Country, you might try Possum Kingdom State Park. I've not been but I've heard it is nice.

5. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

We are around Castle and Country Club here in Garland, been here for 11 years. We camped at Possum Kingdom for my wife's birthday last year. Used to go there with the motorcycle club when I lived in Lubbock. It is a very nice place.