Obnoxious Neighbors

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by TKnecht, Jul 4, 2010.

What do you do if you've got obnoxious camping neighbors?

1. Nothing: I grit my teeth and bear it.

20.0%
  2. I very sweetly talk with them about the problem.

14.1%
  3. I demand they stop their obnoxious behavior.

2.0%
  4. I report them to the owner/manager/ranger.

60.5%
  5. I leave.

3.4%
  1. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

on this last camping trip, we had a little bit of everything next to us......we were probably guilty of waking up our neighbors too early but by God that family had either an argument ( i couldn't quite hear and it was annoying! would have been entertaining to at least know what the problem was!)....if they weren't arguing, they would let the kids bounce a basketball in the PUP until 10:30PM and it would finally get quiet around 11......i wasn't thrilled but would either read or put in my earplugs til things quieted down........now if it had gone on after 11PM I would have seriously considered calling the ranger and had the number memorized if the need arose.......i kept thinking about the damage a bouncing ball would do to the floor,etc and smile....i guess that is what they were doing.......it was a series of loud thumps and they had two teenage boys........i couldn't tell if it was revenge for the early mornings on my daughters part or if they were night owls.......

as far as people cutting through the site, i put up a "fence" to keep people away from my dog and also to keep my 3 yr old in our site and out of the road......it worked wonderfully....it was just that lightweight garden fencing you can find at lowes......it was $8 for 25 feet and i just tied it to the trees and then i used some bamboo sticks to hold it upright........between that and some sheets on the line, we didn't have any problems with people cutting through our site.......i will be posting some pics on webshots of what i am talking about....you might try that next time.....SCmomma

2. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Thanks SCmomma...fortunately it has only happened the one time. [CP]

3. bagger

bagger New Member

I am sitting here laughing at some of the responses.
    Well....if ya can't "beat" them, and, Ya can't shoot them......not in NY anyway.
    Here's something I posted elsewhere......

"Is there a list of rules for camping etiquette?
    I have seen rules posted in the check in office, but, I'm sure some people just don't care to read them.
    If there was one here to download, I would certainly have a few printed and then just walk over to the offending camp site and hand a copy over to them and see if that works. "

4. TKnecht

TKnecht "Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most peo

The first "rule" of camping etiquette is that you never, ever go into or cross through another person's site unless invited.

5. happycamperkzoo

happycamperkzoo New Member

I've had people cross through my site a few times, and I usually speak up and say something. That's just plain rude and I teach my kids not to do it, either.

Some people with dogs kinda bug me. I love dogs, so I get upset to see them caged all day alone, straining to reach the water or barking. I hate sitting at my campfile with a smell of dog doo wafting over and I get pretty ticked stepping in dog doo on my own site. I don't like them to run loose and I prefer that they not come visit me (I feel nervous with strange dogs, especially big ones and I don't like them jumping on me). When I see a neighbor show up with dogs, I kinda cringe. To all of you that bring your dogs, spend time with them and clean up after them, a big thank you from your neighbors!

I try to teach my kids to start to quiet down at dusk and be considerate of those around them. Voices really carry at night. I don't mind noisy neighbors, drinking or loud music so much (if it's my kind of music :)), but I draw the line at the 'f word' around my kids and I usually say something to the offenders. Once we had a tent of teenage boys right next to us, and all I had to do was use that "mom" tone and it shut them right up.

Weird annoyances: A couple weeks ago, we stayed at a campground where a large group were playing hammered dulcimers. The first evening, the music was lovely. But they played all day and into the evening the whole weekend. By the end of the weekend, I was glad to leave that behind!

6. BIG JON

BIG JON New Member

During the weeee hours of the morning, smear peanut butter on the underside of their camper...works! All gods’ creatures visit them...

7. NHDalton

NHDalton I camp, therefore I am

This past weekend was our first time dealing with trespassers in our site. The bathrooms were located right in back of us and up the hill and everyone had their own path to it. Well, after dark a bunch of kids from at least 3 different sites were playing and hiding from each other. The first time, I asked them not to do it again. The second time, it was some of the other kids from the group and I repeated my request a bit louder with an emphasis on "Thank You." The third time was greeted with a growl of "Hey!" by me and my wife.

DW followed one of them out, unknown to the kid and when one asked the other what happened she replied (with attitude): "Oh nothin' I just got yelled at by some old person."

DW was not impressed. She went right over to a parent and ever so sweetly asked that they not do it again, that we had a bunch of things tied down and we didn't want them to get hurt. Awwwwwww.

Well, you could hear the guy trying to get all the kids together to tell them and since they weren't exactly in the listening mood, he decided to take a more... direct action. No hitting mind you, but they knew this was not something to be tolerated. When we saw the kids the next day (and the rest of our trip) they steered well away from us.

As for me, I was actually thinking of setting up some trip wire. it would have made for great entertainment.[LOL]

8. bagger

bagger New Member

Videos please?!?! [:D]

9. SkamperCampers

SkamperCampers New Member

Guaranteed to keep the kids off of your site!!

[​IMG]

10. edh

edh Active Member

A trip wire hooked up to an aerosol can of skunk scent would work--anyone know where I can buy that? It could also be discreetly sprayed on a site as needed.
    Actually, the most offensive smelling stuff I have encountered that you can buy is a deer repellant, but once opened you would not want to carry it, even in a tightly re-sealed container, in your vehicle; it is wicked bad stuff and smells like tea made of many things excreted and dead, and I think it would definitely clear a site. Might even clear three sites if not used quite minimally.
    Keep in mind that these ideas should be applied only in cases where all else has failed, and where the offensiveness is so grievous that no jury would convict you.

11. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

There's a great pest repellant spray they make for gardens called Plantskyd. It's made from pig and cow blood. It works under the premise the foul odor, which smells like a dead animal, will trigger a fear response and deter other animals that might try to eat your garden. I'll bet this would work for folks who would cut across your campsite. Although, you'd have to smell it too. [LOL]

12. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

I've actually seen fols use the police ribbon (it doesn't have police writting on it though) surround their entire camp site accept where they enter and exit to get to their vehicle. I may do that also.

JJ

13. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

It might work better if it did say "Crime Scene" on the yellow ribbon.

14. tntom

tntom Member

On a recent camping trip, a group of three adults and two kids moved in next door at midnight, without a reservation. It took an hour for them to set up camp, then they started to cook a meal at 1:00 a.m. At 1:30 they started chopping wood, but their chopping was simply banging limbs on nearby trees to break them into smaller pieces.

At 2:00 a.m. I got up and went to their table as they were preparing to eat. I told them to enjoy their meal but pointed out that quiet hours started at 10:00 and that I was in the site next door and that we could not sleep. They did apologize, offered me some food, I declined, and they did get quiet. But they stayed up another hour finishing their meal. Oh did I mention they used the headlights of their car the entire three hours to light up their campsite. We didn't have to report them to the rangers the next morning, as most of the campers in our area beat us to it.

15. NHDalton

I can also put a sign up:
    Descendents of the Donner Party.
    Trespassers will be EATEN!

[CK]

16. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Do you mean Dahmer?

17. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

LOL. But it depends how old they are -- I'll bet a lot of them never learned about the Donner party in school.

18. NHDalton

It gives them something to shoot for.[LOL]

19. ChrisandRich

ChrisandRich New Member

It depends on what the behavior is. If it's loud or obviously breaking a rule or being intrusive, I may say something nicely though I've never encountered this. However, on a recent trip our neighbor smoked cigars literally every waking moment. The sites were small so he was about 5 feet tops from my pup. Technically, it is his right to do as he wishes on his site so I never got the nerve to say anything. Though by the last morning, when I woke at 7:30 to his smoke coming in my window, I was less than subtle when I zipped it up hostilely. I threw in a few mutterings to DH that could be heard and he never changed his behavior. I was fearful of how someone who could be so rude would react if I said something. I noticed he sat much further away from his PUP than ours. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I personally love the smell of a good cigar but when it's the only air you breathe it can get gross.

20. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

We just had an experience with some "colorful" neighbors.

The day we arrive, there is a young boy riding around on his bike singing AC/DC song choruses loudly. Kind of annoying, but it's daytime, I've got kids, whatever. Kid then starts teasing the small dog on their campsite. Dog starts barking and growling at kid. Then dog nips at kid, kids starts screaming for mom to hit the dog. Um, what?

Well then dad arrives at the campsite a few hours later. I guess they are long term campers, and dad is commuting to work. Dad must be tired, because he starts flipping out at kid, at wife and at dog. Plenty of liberal use of the f-bomb too. Abusive language hurled at all three. [:(O] Thankfully, my kids don't notice.

There really were no onsite people to complain to, and frankly dad scared me and my hubby enough not to go near the guy. Each night he arrived "home" and started throwing minor to major temper tantrums. What a jerk. Made me a *lot* more "meh, whatever" about the noise his kid made.

The kicker? Last night, it was late and dark. Kid makes some noise and dad starts *yelling* at him, full voice "you aren't the only person in this campsite, be respectful already you little twerp". Um, irony much? His yelling was much louder than any noise the kid made at 10:30 at night. [:!]