Obsolete, full propane tank

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by heathdavis, Sep 27, 2011.

1. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

We have an ancient rusty propane tank of the old style, which means it is at least 13 years old. It is too heavy for me to lift (and I'm pretty strong for a girl), so it is probably full or nearly so.

We will exchange it for a new one but... should we use the propane first? DH is afraid it will be contaminated and ruin his bbq or whatever else we use it for. (Not in the pup, yet, until it gets cold) This seems like a waste, but I said "OK, then put it in the back of my car and I'll go exchange it". Can't get him motivated to do that.

Should I: 1. Convince him to use up the propane in it
    2. Wait for a windy day and slowly vent off the propane so I can lift the tank.
    3. Kick his a** until he puts it in my car
    [?]

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Use it up...grill alot of burgers, steaks and hotdogs. Or you can slow cook a large briscuit wrapped in tin foil for about 10 hours on the grill on low. That should use up just about all the propane.

JJ

3. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Yeah ... run it through the BBQ, then exchange the old tank. Use the good, fresh stuff in the camper!

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I agree: use the propane.

5. freenaz

freenaz Member

I say use it up.
    Contaminated?

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

If it doesn't have ACME threads for a modern grill to connect to then just exchange it (full or empty). If you have a way to connect to it use it up.

7. electronflux

electronflux Member

use it.

I don't see how it could be contaminated...gas is, well, gas

8. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Never heard of gas getting contaminated or otherwise expiring.....use up the gas then exchange that tank for a nice new one you can re-fill.

9. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

make sure the bottom will hold it upright or is it rusted out? [!]

10. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

agreed. You may need to pick up an adapter at the local hardware store to hook it up to the grill. Gas is gas, the regulators and safety features of most newer grills will prevent any bad from happening, and the food will taste NO different.

11. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

re: Contamination--- He's worried that there might be rust-dust in it from the inside of the cylinder and that it will clog up ports or whatever on the bbq. (I don't bbq. ) I don't know whether they rust on the inside-- seems unlikely.

The cylinder seems solid, though completely rust-coated on the outside.

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Cook with it.It will be fine.If there is rust on the inside it will not allow the gas to flow through the valve. Be aware that when "exchanging" it for a new tank it is against the law for them to accept any tank that is older than 12 years,does not have an OPD (triangle knob on top) or shows visible signs of damage including rust.

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

What do have that will connect to it?

14. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Re: Obsolete, full propane tank PROBLEM SOLVED

After reading Hacksaw's post, I decided to call around to check to see if anyone would take the cylinder. Somewhere I had gotten the idea that the propane exchange places were required to take old tanks.

The person at Home Depot said "Well, actually it's self-serve. You swipe your credit card, put the old tank in one cage, and get a new one out of another cage. There aren't any humans involved so it doesn't matter". Good enough.

Then DH came home. When I told him what the Home Depot lady said he threw the old tank in his truck and drove off to HD. He still refused to use up the old propane. I hate wasting things but at least we'll have a new tank.

Thanks everyone for all your answers.

15. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

COME ON THE TANK ONLY WEIGHS 28 LBS LOADED, YOUR PURSE WEIGHS MORE THAN THAT, TURN THE TANK ON ITS SIDE AND ROLL IT TO CAR, OPEN TRUNK HE WILLL HAVE TO DO IT THEN. IF NOT CALL ME IM IN ATLANTA, ( BUT I MOVED FROM MELBOURNE,FL IN 2007 (31 YRS)

16. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Um, no, more than that-- and I can roll it but not lift it up high enough.
    See http://www.propane101.com/consumerpropanecylinders.htm

Ha, you must not know bout me. [:D]
    (I hate purses.)

[:D] Thanks but I got it covered (finally!)

PS MODIFIED AT 7:28
    Well crap!! DH came back with the new cylinder and I can lift that one up with one hand! The antique must have been made of thicker metal. I'm not a wimp after all!! Yay!

17. fix_it

fix_it Member

That is why I don't use the exchange places unless I have to. Those exchange places only fill their tanks 3/4 full!!! Now that you have a new tank, find somewhere to get it filled. It's generally cheaper to get 18 lbs at the refill place than 15 lbs at the exchange place.