Ocala National Forest/North Central Fla. Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Florida' started by ZapPaddles, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ZapPaddles

ZapPaddles New Member

We're looking to make a mid-late October trip to north central Fla. and would like info on campgrounds in or around the Ocala National Forest; pretty much anything in a east-west swath from New Smyrna Beach to the Gulf coast works for us. Necessities are canoe trails and bicycling trails. We have an Ocala National Forest map that shows all the campgrounds and amenities but would like to have first hand information. Prefer to not have sardine camping. Want to have trees. Waterfront okay but not necessary. Need to have water hook up and would prefer to also have electrical.

2. StevensFamily

StevensFamily Excited about camping!

My family LOVES to visit Alexander Springs and it is beautiful in the fall. They have canoe trails but I am not sure about bicycling trails. I mean I have seen people on bikes but I don't know about specific "trails". If you are looking for a challenge Juniper Springs has a canoe trail that will give you just that. Good Luck. Happy Camping :)

3. GMD

GMD Member

We have camped at Santos campground. It is about dime miles South of Ocala. Awesome bike trails, hiking trails etc. Check out Reserve America for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bmoore257

Bmoore257 New Member

Take a look at Salt Springs and Silver River State Park. Silver has some really nice wooded sites. Tons of bicycle trails and you can canoe the Silver River at Silver Springs. Salt Springs is nice too, but the rv area is not as w
    Shaded as the tent area.

5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

We do many of the State Parks in the area and you can go to www.floridastateparks.org and check on any of those that have open spots for your time-frame. Alexander is wonderful but there isn't electric or water hook ups and it's part of the Ocala National Forest.

I don't know about Juniper or Salt Springs though I hear it's nice there. We love Manatee Springs and you can see other posts about it, also Blue Springs further east an even O'Leno closer to you more in the center and there's always Florida Caverns SP near Tallahassee and the FL/GA border.

Closer to you up here in the Jax area there's Little Talbot and Ft. Clinch and Anastasia SP in St. Aug.

So far all FL SP that we've been to have water and electric and the most we've spent is $22 per night for those I've mentioned. Check out the website and find one you like. You can also come back here and ask if anyone has thoughts on it.

6. Tallykat

Tallykat New Member

Just posted a review of Suwannee River State Park. All sites are wooded and have electric, water and sewer. Beautiful canoeing along the Suwannee and Withlacoochee Rivers. Not much for biking though. Site #30 is quite secluded with only the camp host as a not too close neighbor.