October 2020 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Oct 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Close, Spencer! This is my friend, Scar (he’s been in a few scraps with another chippy). He was attracted by the peanuts in my pocket. :)

2. KeizerTrailer

KeizerTrailer New Member

This month I have: recaulked all of the seams on the roof box, replaced the sink drain hook-up, replaced the shore power access and got a replacement cap for the city water hook up(to keep the bugs out as the screen was missing when I got it). Soon I will coat the roof with Dicor Metal Roof Coating, once I get a full dry, sunny day to do it, then replace the rear corner trim and recaulk the rest of the trailer so it will be ready for winter. Running out of sunny days. [EEK]

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I booked disney for next year!!!! Unfortunately halloween sold out in 30 mins, so were doing early november. I guess i will have to live with it.........

neighbormike likes this.
  4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Rolled up the memory foam mattresses and put them in storage. Vacuumed out the storage spaces and cleaned the floor before closing it up for the winter. In a few weeks we will put it on the stone driveway extension. In the winter we can't use the snow blower on the stones so that is where the pup with stay for the winter. I will park my Jeep on the patio (previously the garage floor, but the garage is no more) since we are a family of 4 with each of us having a car to park in the driveway.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. tiltshift

tiltshift Member

Winterized, ie fortified my PUP against mice! Also fixed one awning zipper and broke another

Attached Files:

6. KeizerTrailer

KeizerTrailer New Member

Finally got the rear corner trim on, meaning the back wall rebuild is complete. Just bummed the siding is puckered up from the long time damage from the leak.
    IMG_20201015_165740811.jpg

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Looks fine, no one but you can tell its puckered because you worked with it closely. I cant tell.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We arrived home yesterday, after 16 nights in Utah and AZ.So far, not much done for the trailer, except beginning to unload it (yay, many loads of laundry underway). Although the floor is filthy, we managed not to break much of anything on this trip - one dishpan and one of the little pieces that holds the stove vent flap closed broke and came out. This trip really showed how much using a doormat just inside the door usually helps. Since I'm still in the big boot for my broken ankle, we didn't use the mat since it proved easy for me to catch it with the boot. Add that to having to wear the boot and a shoe in and out of the trailer all the time, super dry conditions last week, with powder fine dirt (it was static-clung way up on the boot), and I just couldn't keep it clean.
    The new clear door window is extremely nice to have. With the shade down on the road, the trailer stayed cooler. Otherwise, we left the shade up, and used a curtain panel while in camp.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

drained the tanks, and added the pink stuff. Also, reverse-engineered the bluetooth module for my renogy charge controller, so now I can read the solar info with my Raspberry Pi via bluetooth. The intent being to eventually have my solar, propane (via Mopeka Tank Check), and maybe water all collected and graphed/stored/displayed on a screen in the camper, with optional upload to home servers. Something similar to http://rvwhisper.com , but not stored/sent to "the cloud"

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ugh, got the call from the RV shop today. Sent the TH in for a axle, brake, bearing and seal check. So, my rear axle was bent out of tolerance and causing uneven tire wear. Shackles and bushings were all also worn beyond useful life. Brakes were okay. So, going to bite the $2,300 bullet and replace both axles, shackles and bushings. We tow it heavy and down a lot of gravel highways, so we better just do it and get it over with. At least next year we won't have a nasty suspension surprise after a frost heave. The new axles are rated 100 lbs more than the old, so, at least I've got that going for me.

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

ouch.

generok likes this.
  12. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Winterized and installed a new digital thermostat. Pretty easy to do both.

13. kitphantom

We're still slowly unloading the trailer after our trip. I finally got to washing the throw rugs today. Amazing just how much dirt was on the one way inside, next to the bed. In bright daylight, I can see just how much of the powder-fine dirt is clinging to the sides of the shower well. I'm trying to decide whether the shop vac may be a good tool for a first pass at cleaning the cabin floor and bathroom.
    I ordered the Browning outfitter table that I've had my eye on for a couple of months. It had gone down a bit in price on Amazon, the Alps version is out of stock, and neither Browning nor Alps currently lists it on their website. If we get to do our Thanksgiving trip, we'll see how it works - it adjusts to counter height (36") and higher, 42". (We're not assuming they will leave the state parks open for camping, we have reservations at one for the holiday. They just opened them. to state residents only. Oct. 1. With Covid19 numbers going up, restrictions are being heightened again, state museums and historical spots are closing again this week; but they did leave the SP campgrounds open for now.)

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. PathfinderESP

PathfinderESP Member

Removed the old factory sealant around the roof vent and redone with Dicor as it had started to leak.
    Seems to have solved the leak as we had a full day of rain last outing and it's dry.
    Drained and readied for winter.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

we took ours on a three week vacation :)

no hookups were used

there is still fine red sand inside the Pup

16. kitphantom

Looking at the weather for next week, we had to begin to winterize the TT - today's high was in the mid-70s - Monday's is supposed to be 38*, with a couple of nights with lows in the 20s. After much discussion, we decide to fully winterize with anti-freeze, and call our season ended. We had reservations at a state park in southern NM for Thanksgiving, but with so much uncertainty (weather, possible surgery for my ankle - though hoping not, whether the SP campgrounds will remain open with COVID19 increases), we just decided to call it and save the vacation time for next year.
    This is the least camping we've done in years, and the earliest we've ended the season since we bought the TT.
    All the liquids have been brought in the house, food boxes, fridge and freezer emptied; still some cupboards to be emptied, now that we decided the season is over. I still need to sweep and vacuum, then mop the floor after our UT/AZ trip.
    Today we got the fresh tank and lines drained, tomorrow we'll blow them out and pink the system. At some point, we'll need to take it to do a final dump and rinse on the waste tanks, but we don't have to de-winterize for that. I also have to call the detailer, we have it detailed just before we cover it up.

neighbormike and DiamondGirl like this.
  17. Greg H

Greg H Member

Cleaned out and winterized It last weekend. Roof was getting dirty looking, so cleaned it up. Finally, got it into the garage today for the winter - always a bit of a sad day.

18. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Winterized the TT today. Brought all the cushions inside the house for the winter and then took it to the storage place to be put inside for the winter. I have indoor storage all year but no taking it out now until spring.

19. kitphantom

One thing I'm doing more intentionally this year is to make a list as I unload the baskets and totes of food and things that stay packed. or in the trailer, for the season. I had a short one for the last couple of years, but it wasn't up to date nor did it include everything it should. We missed a few things on our first trip, and did without, since we didn't really restock during that week. We'll use up the almost empty containers of dish soap, staple foods, etc. over our 4 or so months of off-season, longer if the season doesn't begin as usual next year.

20. kitphantom

The water system is blown out and antifreeze pumped through. One of our "oops" findings was that pink from last winter was blown out when we opened the shower tap. That's in spite of all the flushing/sanitizing/flushing I did in the spring. We'll have to do better this year, but at least it seemed to be in a spot where it didn't taint the water we used from the tank or city water.
    Removed all the batteries from thermometers, etc., except for the smoke detector (LP/CO is hardwired). While doing that, I remembered to change one of the small tap lights int he bathroom for a new one. I keep them set on red, with the remote control, so we can light the bathroom in the middle of the night, if necessary - and in the very dark places we were this month I definitely needed them. (Especially since I did not need to misjudge the high threshold with my broken ankle.) Partway through our trip, one of them started reverting to the highest setting of white, which is jarring, not to say blinding, in the middle of the night in the wet bath with white walls.
    All the water hoses, liquid cleaners, food, and the like have been moved inside, extra clothing retrieved from the storage spaces, and a few things returned to the trailer. We won't do the final bump/rinse on the waste tanks, have it detailed, and cover it until some time next month. We have some caulking to do too, as time and weather permit.

Sjm9911 likes this.