October 2021 - what did you do for your camper

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Oct 1, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We’re packed and hitting the road for 2 weeks, mostly at Grand Canyon. After rain most of yesterday, we were happy it wasn’t raining for our last minute stuff.

2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

We started working on KODI for our next trip to the lake.
    1. Installed a new 10” Linenspa Hybrid mattress RV Short Queen inside KODI.
    2. Added another Thermacell device and refills.
    3. Ordered scent free lotion and body soap.
    4. Prepared camping menu.
    We will pack clothes and food later when dates are finalized. Packing has gotten easier with KODI. We’re looking forward to fishing, boating and hanging out at the lake.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

neighbormike, Susan Premo and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We put her in her gated community for the winter. Yanked the batteries, and put them in heated storage at home. Put all the Damp Rid and Dry Z Air things in the rig. Added air to the tires. Put the Side by side in there for the winter. So, we're done. The home parking pad is empty. Once the ground freezes a little more, I can begin to park my truck on it and get all the vehicles in the driveway for winter ops.

DiamondGirl, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , cleaned it, repacked all dry goods for the disney trip. Also, packed decorations for the site. Lol, a lot of decorations. Camper is stocked, ecept for food and clothing. Everyrhing else is cleaned and ready to roll. 4 weeks out. Yes, i have to pack early, have no clue when i will have to work, plus its still warm out. Ot will be a 18 day trip. More or less, so i need to pack and think out everything.

DiamondGirl, neighbormike and generok like this.
  5. kitphantom

So far, chilliest weather we’ve encountered at North Rim in Oct. It is supposed to rain w/ a high of 50
    tomorrow, so we’ll see how well the solar works under multiple stresses, it’s been a while since we’ve had such challenging a combo of conditions.
    The small crack in the sewer hose holder got larger, so it’s duct taped. We’ll get a new one before the next trip. We don’t want to wait to make it a winter task.
    We thought the thermostat was failing, but it seems to have been resolved with new batteries. We’ll keep tabs on it because those intermittent issues seem to return sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

@Sjm9911… Your trip to Disney sounds awesome. DH and I watched the World Disney special last Friday. He’s never been there. And I haven’t been since 1991. We are planning a cross country camping trip after I retire. WD is in the plans.
    @kitphantom… I was hoping the weather would be better for you but I heard a storm is on the way. SORRY.

DH rotated KODI’s tires, checked and greased the bearings. I started packing the trailer with clothes and non food items. Our camping trip hasn’t been finalized. We’re still waiting for leave approval.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. davez26

davez26 New Member

I installed a thermostat to replace the original vintage one.
    Taking the trailer out to Angel Fire NM after work Friday, staying and riding the next day. Lows are supposed to be 30's.
    We haven't used the trailer much and this year decided to get it in gear.
    I installed an electric water pump, we repadded the beds, came up with a bathroom solution and redid our gear to make it easier to get to. We are trying harder to 'get away' and we have a good start.

Attached Files:

DiamondGirl and generok like this.
  8. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

18 days in Disney? Wow

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Well 2 and a half days each way travel time. Im not driving more then 7 hours, add food / fuel and bathroom breaks and it takes a bit to get there. So like 12 days in disney. I figure if im bringing the camper, and staying ,might as well stay a little longer. Its a bit of a ride from jersey. We dont have park tickets for the whole time , just 7 days. So we can rest in between.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  10. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

That really does sound like an awesome trip. I may have to try something similar. Let me know if you have a list of good campsites along the way.

Karey, DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

I definitely do. Tbh, we just do the koas because they are close to the hyway, and usally are all pull throughs. So it makes it a bit easier. Not as cheap as driving a bit further, but there are some nice ones.

DiamondGirl and JasonsForest like this.
  12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Winterized and got the pup ready for storage. It was hard to do with the weather so nice. We've been in the 70's for a couple of weeks and more 70's and high 60's on the way. Very unusual for Minnesota. We got a couple of inches of snow on October 12th, 2019, so I have to assume the weather will turn soon.

I have to admit that it is WAAAAY easier to winterize a camper when it is in the 70's than when it is in the 30's and40's!!

Anyways, I pulled the battery and propane, blew out and ran RV antifreeze thru the water lines and removed any item that should not be exposed to below zero temps. Now just waiting to bring the pup to storage. That usually happens a day or two before the first snow. I will get the battery to the basement and on the trickle charger in a couple of days.

I also started winterizing the boat.:(

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

plan to pop off the command hooks holding up the door side fairy lights.
    got 2 rolls of white reflective tape to put along the length of roof edge before replacing the hooks & lights.
    thought about taping the lights on, to protect the wires.

its been sitting outside since labor day.
    im painting furniture & rearranging the garage still.
    & passing on camp gear to a friend, who at 65, is just getting started, with a tent!

14. kitphantom

Our solar and batteries weathered the chilly, rainy day at North Rim of Grand Canyon. Friday was our transition overnight at Wahweap CG, Lake Powell. After we got groceries, I looked at the weather forecast for South Rim, which had changed since the last time I’d seen it. The high Tuesday is predicted to be 40 with a low of 18-23. We quickly made some adjustments. I was able to get reservations for Trailer Village, full hookups, for Monday through the end of the week. We headed off to Walmart and bought an electric radiator. Saturday morning, we not only dumped the waste tanks, we drained the water lines and hot water tank. We’re mostly in tent camping mode- water jugs, heating water on the stove for dishes, but using the gray and black tanks.
    we discovered that the small compressor we tote does not have the correct connector to our blow out plug, or we would have blown the lines out. tomorrow, while my husband is backpacking (unless they change plans), I’ll move the camper maybe a mile, from dry camping to FHU. Hoping I get that done before the winds get too bad.

15. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

Just got back from camping for the weekend. Got one last trip in November…

16. JAM21

JAM21 New Member

Added solar to keep DC system charged.

Attached Files:

theseus, DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Ok washed and waxed the TT with the foam cannon. Im still impressed with this thing. While not perfect, its fast and easy. 1 hour to wash and wax the TT. Including set up and clean up by myself. Its ready for disnet now!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

I didn not do the roof. That would have taken longer.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  19. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

we took the camper for an 8 day trip, centered on the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (allow two days at least, as fickle winds can greatly impair the event). The single Renogy 100AH lithium battery was fine - the lowest it ever got was 7% SOC (State of Charge, as per the BMS remote monitor). We also had one tire leak (slow-ish) due to road debris - in center of tread. I am to get that leak professionally patched on the inside of the tire carcass. That tire was brand new for the trip. At Albuquerque our adult daughter joined us for 3 nites - and slept on the dinette bed cushions. Once again the Porta Pottie received rave reviews from DW - even tho she only used it for night time peeing.

Sjm9911 and DiamondGirl like this.
  20. kitphantom

@Anthony Hitchings - glad you had a chance to enjoy the Balloon Fiesta, as with so many weather-dependent events, winds ad other issues can cause less-than-perfect event runs. In the 30+ years since the first event I attended, we've had delays and cancellations caused by rain snow, wind, thunderstorms, and probably other things. We were out there the year the first Smokey Bear balloon met its demise on the huge radio antenna. We tend not to attend anymore, I don't think I could stand out there long enough, if nothing else, but it's still fun to see if we're home. (We will be home next year, the last few we've taken our long fall trip, which will be moved to Sept, next year.)

We got home yesterday, after 16 nights out camping. Unusually cold for early October, we ended up with rain, snow, and wind.
    We bought an electric radiator during the trip, which will be left in the trailer most of the time. [We'll leave it home on dry-only trips, and in hot weather, though.] I had doubts we could use it with both of us on a trip, but we managed. It was great to supplement the furnace, and to keep the sitting area, mostly blocked from the furnace heat by the bathroom, warmer. Also helped as the furnace thermostat became flaky during the trip. We though we solved the issue with new batteries, but by the last couple of days, the thermostat was back to being weird. Will be buying a new one.
    We were glad we got a site in Trailer Village (South Rim Grand Canyon) with power, for the last few days of the trip, as the weather was changing, we got reservations in time to buy the radiator. Our solar panel usually has not problem keeping up, but cold days, colder nights, rain, snow, and days that never cleared would have been more than it could have handled.
    Water supply for cold weather was a challenge, we drained the lines at mid-point of the trip, after seeing the new weather forecast - it never got as cold as predicted, but it was still in the 20s a few nights, and never got above the 30s a couple of days. The Reliance water jugs we've long used for extra water were useful, but - the vent plugs have been breaking, which one did on the trip. Since we usually just use them to siphon water into the fresh tank, I was going to just glue the vent shut somehow. We may still do that. The spigot on the jugs was almost impossible for me to use, which was another issue. We were able to pour the water into our Brita filter dispenser, which is useful.
    The Reliance shower we bought did turn out to be god for washing hands in the trailer. [https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY6CZ6J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1] I hadn't actually used it until this trip. I'm doubtful that it would really rinse a head full of shampoo, but it was very useful for washing hands, especially when the jug spigots turned out to be semi-useless.
    We have one more trailer trip this year, a week in southern AZ for Thanksgiving week. We will need to replace the sewer hose tube before then, it did last until we got home with the help of duct tape.

DiamondGirl likes this.