Odd Electrical Issue - Converter?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by threebeachboys, May 27, 2019.

1. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

So, I am a pretty handy gal when it comes to understanding how things work. Except for electricity. . . . . I have an Aliner with a WFCO converter and a water heater with electronic ignition. While plugged into shore power with the refrigerator running, when I turn on the water heater, the fridge shuts off. If I turn on the 12v fridge cooling fan, the fridge shuts off. Also, the CO2 detector is flashing yellow indicating a fault. However, the over head and exterior lights work.

I can work around this by shutting off the fridge every time I use the hot water - which is really only to shower. I'm guessing I need a new converter? I sure hope it is that as opposed to a new 3 way refrigerator. I've tried to test the battery, but not sure I am doing that correctly. I can tow the trailer to work and have one of the guys I work with help me, but wondered if any of you have an idea. Or where to start checking.

Thanks.

Pam

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

First thing you need to do electrical troubleshooting is a volt meter. It doesn't have to be an expensive one. You need to start by monitoring the voltage while this is happening.

threebeachboys likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

CO detector flashing? Is that separate from the LP leak detector? The LP detector should be beeping if you're running low voltage.

When plugged into shore power you should run the fridge on 110v AC or propane rather than 12v DC. Running on 12v puts a heavy load on the converter you can do without.

Disconnect the battery and try again. A severely depleted or damaged battery can suck enough amps from the converter to cause problems.

5. threebeachboys

6. threebeachboys

Thanks. I never run the fridge off the battery. . . . Only 110, occasionally propane. I will re-check the detector. But it is not beeping. . .