OEM Jayco roof rack system ?'s

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by TDS-MN, Dec 30, 2013.

1. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone might have pictures of an OEM roof rack system that might have been installed on a '93-era Jayco? I have (4) brackets, (2) per side, mounted to the roof, and I was hoping that I might find out what this rack system might be, or have been, since I did not get any cross-pieces from the PO at purchase. The brackets appear to be set up to accept a cross member attached to the top, as they have a horizontal tab with what I would guess is a hole for a nut/bolt assembly. PO had mentioned that they had carried bicycles and a canoe up there over the years, and that if they happened across any pieces that they would try and let me know, but they were thinking that any parts were probably long gone. I have not been able to find anything online that I could know for sure was Original Equipment. Would appreciate any help or ideas. Unfortunately I cannot share any pictures of the brackets as the pup is stored away and buried under snow as well.

2. Jmo1son

Jmo1son New Member

wondering if you ever found what you were looking for? I have a 98 Jayco and would love to see some pics of a roof rack to give me some ideas. Thank you.

3. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Hey, thanks for asking. I have NOT had any real luck so far finding pictures or info on what type of system the brackets I have installed are from. Even asked at the jayco owners forums, but got conflicting answers, and more confusion really.

My brackets are shaped like a 'question mark' with the vertical leg at the bottom attached to the roof side board. The first horizontal bend wraps over the top of the roof maybe 2-3", and then it bends up to run vertical for about the same length. And finally the last bend turns back horizontal, and stops at the outboard roof edge. The top is slotted for a bolt/nut attachment. The pair of brackets are towards the front of the roof, the first set is just ahead of the roof vent opening, and the rear set is about 24" behind or so. The bracket itself is just a flat strip of metal, maybe 2-3" wide, not sure exactly but wide enough to have (2) mounting bolts into the side board of the roof assembly.

I would have to upload a pic from my phone sometime to show you the actual bracket, don't have that capability right now though, cable to connect to computer is not with me.

4. Jmo1son

Jmo1son New Member

I think I'm at the point where I'll just fabricate some. I'm not too excited to put holes in the roof. I'd much rather have some that attach on the side boards where the clamps for the roof are.

5. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

The brackets on mine are on the side, but not that low. If I were to guess, I would say that they might even be high enough that the catch the narrow 'edge" of the roof sheathing, they are mounted within the same screw channel at the seam there.

However, I don't think there would be any issue with mounting lower on the side boards, that member would be pretty strong. And any hole that you are going to make are likely outside of the canvas enclosure.