Off-grid camping and on

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by John3M, May 4, 2021 at 12:10 PM.

1. John3M

John3M New Member

I camp off grid on BLM land and now with my new trailer. I have always been security aware but off grid leaves me exposed to other maybe not so ethical folks. I carry several pieces of expensing prospecting tools and was thinking of purchasing a trail camera to watch over my rig. has anyone done this and any recommendations?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I haven't used my game camera for "security" but have thought about it. I have two of THESE.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 3:11 PM
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

I have camped all over New Mexico since 1987.
    Since most of the state is popular with weekend miners you are likely to see them anywhere.
    My point is you are being anxious about your new equipment. It is against federal law to disturb a mining site or claim. Most everyone knows this and also know getting shot is a chance that they don't want to take.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. John3M

John3M New Member

I am associated with these claims through my membership. I have been prospecting on my claims since 1970. I'm not sure where your laws are coming from but BLM land is open and I have mineral rights on these lands. As far as my new camping equipment goes I specifically noted my prospecting equipment which is stored in my trailer. While working for the US Forest service in California, Placerville district I prospected weekends on many claims I owned on Federal land

See the link I provided https://www.blm.gov/programs/energy...nerals/locatable-materials/surface-management

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 1:50 PM
  5. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

A trail cam does what it does... takes a picture of the crime as a keepsake. Unless it captures the license plate of a vehicle or a copy of their ID, I doubt very much it will result in the recovery of any stolen equipment or even apprehension of the perpetrators. Using cable locks to secure equipment to the frame or TV may deter opportunistic thieves.

It certainly won't hurt, and perhaps you get lucky and maybe know the person in the picture (hey, it happens). But I've always maintained that security should concentrate first on prevention, then potential recovery, since the latter has a very slim chance of success.

Arruba and kitphantom like this.
  6. John3M

John3M New Member

I am also a member of GPAA Gold Prospectors Association of America which has over 200+ claims on both Forest Service land and BLM land which you can join I will leave you a link
    https://www.goldprospectors.org/

cheers

7. NMroamer

Have you been to Lincoln county?

8. John3M

John3M New Member

Thats on my list but i’m not familiar with the area

9. NMroamer

Know the area well. There is an old mining town of Jicarilla North of Capitan.

10. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Like Generok says, focus on prevention. In all the years boondock camping, including my childhood, I’ve never experienced theft from camp. Closest I’ve come a couple times is a note on my windshield that someone borrowed my tow chain or Hilift jack because they were stuck up/down the road and were in need. That said I wouldn’t leave something high value unattended.