OFF-ROAD Camping

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by roybraddy, Jul 22, 2020.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

It seems most of our camping is centered around camping off road somewhere or up a creek somewhere...

We have a 120VAC roof mounted air conditioner on our OFF ROAD POPUP that hardly ever gets used..

Been staying off camping the past couple of years due to home problems with age mostly haha About ready to start up again on some camping around the high Country not too far from home..

Am thinking I might be better off changing out my roof mounted A/C for one of those roof mounted water cooler type air conditioners...

Something like this I found on the internet
    [​IMG]

I am always experimenting with a old car heater core with long hoses where I can pump cold creek water through the heater core and then blowing cool air into my tent or camper... This actually works haha...

Seems like i can always find water somewhere but running batteries and power Inverters just doesn't do well with 120VAC Air Conditioners mounted on the roof haha...

[​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

What you are referring to is what we call a swamp cooler out west. It works better when the humidity is low. Reason being is that's how it cools. Bet you could find s ready made one to fit your needs online. Low humidity is the key to proper operation.

4. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

I have found it very helpful to do much research on something before I purchase it and look for customer /consumer reviews if any . Also wondering about the hole in the roof will the new thing fit without making the opening smaller . I can see some problems already .Good luck if you do this .

5. roybraddy

We lived in Tempe AZ back in the the day and all of their air conditioners bak then were the swamp coolers... Once you learned what windows to crack open in the house it worked just fine...

I always hated to go up on the roof however to change out the filter. You had to kill off a bunch of black widow spiders first haha

Roy Ken

6. roybraddy

This unit is for RV's so I'm guessing they have the standard hole size to go thru the roof...

Lived in the Tempe AZ areas for a few years way back then so have some experiences with these kinds of air conditioners...

Roy Ken

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

That sounds like a better idea than a swamp cooler in VA. Only time I was there the humidity was very high. You might also consider using this pumping water from a cooler with a big block of ice.

8. roybraddy

Most of my cooling now is using the Fantastic Fan and cracking open the right windows for best pull in draft for us... Always works great especially creekside where the outside air is somewhat cool already...

I can deal with DC Drain on the batteries doing this hehe...

Roy Ken

9. roybraddy

I already have an older well used ice chest with a 12VDC fan mounted in the top lid haha...

Back in the day this was the air conditioner for cars back then haha...

My 5-day ice chest usually needs refilled with every three days... Thats another trip back to town haha I keep my ice chest under my folding and locked truck bed cover and always park away from the sun during the day... The Fridge in the POPUP camper just is used for keeping a few drinks cold... No freezer in it just cooling...
    [​IMG]

My fridge is something like this one...
    [​IMG]

I cut out some of the wire trays to allow me to have some tall cola bottes sitting inside it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]