OH Hocking Hills SP

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by chippers, Jul 28, 2011.

1. chippers

chippers New Member

Just back from 4 great days at the Old Man's Cave Campground in Hocking Hills SP. The CG is really nice. Wooded with lots of shade and big enough sites so we didn't feel crowded even though the place seemed to be almost full.

There are several small playgrounds, and one large one and a nice swimming pool and a fishing lake. Good roads with lots of kids biking, blading and scootering. They showed a movie at the ampitheater last night.

The shower houses were cleaned daily and had plenty of hot water. There are also a couple of pit latrine bldgs- can't review those cause I avoided them!

Hocking Hills SP is great for hiking. The Old Man's Cave trail takes you through some really unique territory with several waterfalls, caves, gorges and cliffs all in a 1/2 day hike. Probably a lot less for serious hikers, but my kids insisted on splashing a while in every waterfall. (Pretty as they are, after the 3rd waterfall shouldn't the novelty wear off? [;)])

Lots to do nearby. I recommend Happy Trails http://www.hthorsebackrides.com/ for horseback riding. DH and DS got to do the canopy tour zip lines http://www.hockinghillscanopytours.com/home.html. DD is too young, so she chose to go fishing instead- picked out her own rod and it wasn't even pink! We spent the day drowning worms in the fishing lake.

Park and CG both get a grade A from me.

2. Tafty

Tafty New Member

[:D] I love that place. We have been twice so far this year. Some good sized cat fish in the fishing pond as well!

3. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

We went last year tent camping and it was awesome. Had a deer come to where i was setting about 20 feet from me. I was almost not breathing when i saw him slowly comin my way. it was dark and the campfire was our only lite. I still get chills! We will be going there also since we r hitting Paint Creek first for a week.

4. chippers

chippers New Member

DD was much more into casting and reeling than any of that actual waiting for fish to bite, so we didn't get to see any of those catfish, but some serious fishers nearby caught a couple of good sized trout.
    Saw deer too, and the dog chased off raccoons every night . Also saw a very big snapping turtle in one of those creeks, so pay attention where you're wading!

5. robsheila

robsheila New Member

Was just at HH in June. DD got married at Ash Cave. We spent a couple days after the ceremony enjoying the downtime, relaxing at the waterfalls, and hiking the trails. Although the park was full, its so spacious and nice that you really don't feel crowded at all. One of Ohio's gems.

6. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

Went there 3 years ago and loved it. want to try and camp there this year but just don't have the time.

7. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Welp, the dates are set we are heading to Paint Creek SP sept 26. fri thru sun site 117 and then 115 mon thru thurs. Cant wait. Biking, yakin, hikin and sleepin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

Looking at going here but this worries me "pit latrine bldgs" as in a out house? or a hole in the ground. can some one explain this more please.

9. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I love and miss Hocking Hills so much. We used to drive up there from Florida to visit my brother and always went camping there. But he moved here to be close to me so we haven't been in years.

Sharon

10. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Looks like you had a great time! Picture are great! Like to see the catfish there!

11. Tracysues

Tracysues New Member

Where in OH is Hocking hills?

12. THE FLYING DUTCHMEN

THE FLYING DUTCHMEN New Member

It's near Athens

13. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

Hocking Hills is about an hour south of Columbus off Rt 33. Hocking County. There are numerous campgrounds in that area. Old Mans Cave Campground is one of the most popular. http://www.hockinghillsstatepark.com/
    There are campgrounds, trails and caves. But the caves are more deep cuts in the side of the hill. No gear needed for those. There is also a Zip line near by, Canopy Tours I think.

14. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Wife and I was there late July and Early August 2012. Did you know that this is the most popular Ohio State Park Campground. The temperature was very hot and this was our last campout in our 2008 pop up. We went to a hybrid travel trailer. Our campout at Hocking Hills State park was very nice. The place was loaded when we checked in on Sunday afternoon for a 3 night campout. There was only 5 sites to choose from. We spent a lot of time in the swimming pool and only took one short hike in the woods. We did not do a camp fire as it was very warm at night and we don't like the little flying critters that like to visit the campers at that time. The shower houses and rest room facilities were very clean and well maintained, however on Monday night some jerk did #2 in the shower, inconsiderate assholes everywhere you go. All in All I and the wife will go there again, only next time I will make a reservation and my new camper has its own shower and bathroom.

[​IMG]

The little brown tent is the enclosure we had our porti potti in which we only used at the wee hours of the night (pardon the pun). Shown in this photo is my home made awning using a 5 dollar 8 x 10 tarp.

15. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] Yes there are a couple of pit latrines, mostly in the no electric - primitive areas of the campground. Next to the swimming Pool is a very modern Bath- Shower House with flush toilets. Your never more than 1/2 mile away from the pool at any camp site in this park. Driving around we did notice a couple more Shower houses, don't know if they had flush toilets or not as we only used the one by the pool.

16. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

hocking hills is on my bucket list for 2013

17. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Hocking Hills is a GREAT campground, definitely want to make it back there again sometime soon once I get some more work done on the TV. It takes a lot to pull a TT thru those hills.

18. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We were at Hocking Hills SP in 2011. Just wanted to post a few photos of some of the great places we went to there.

[​IMG]

Old Man's Cave

[​IMG]

One of the small waterfalls

[​IMG]

Cool rock formations abound there

[​IMG]

Cedar Falls

[​IMG]

Ash Cave

[​IMG]

Wispy waterfall at Ash Cave

[​IMG]

Brad Jackson likes this.
  19. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if the shower houses have flush toilets? Also, individual showers?
    Thanks!

20. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We had our trailer that trip so we used our own bathroom but I'm sure they do.