OH - Maumee Bay State Park

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by JulieinOhio, Sep 8, 2009.

1. JulieinOhio

JulieinOhio Westerville, OH

I am thinking about where we will go for our week long vacation next summer. Maumee Bay state park looks like a great place as there are inland lakes as well as Lake Erie for water fun and a golf course too to keep DH and DS happy. Can anyone else add anything here? Also know anything about the lodge as that is where my parents would stay. Thanks!

2. robsheila

robsheila New Member

The Great Lakes Pop-Up Club (www.glpuc.org) have an annual rally at Maumee Bay every April. We joined them this past Spring and had a very nice time. The park is large with areas set apart for wildlife and natural restoration. However, I noticed that the camping areas were mostly in full-sun. While there are wooded areas, they're not where you camp. As a summer vacation destination, I would look elsewhere -- unless you have a really good air conditioner and solar shades.

Because of its location, members from Michigan and Indiana have participated in this rally as well. Check out the website later this winter to see if any details for the 2010 MBSP rally have been posted yet, and feel free to join us.

3. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

we've gone there and would return. on the weekend we went, they had a movie at the open air pavilion with 50 cent bottled waters and 25 cent popcorn Friday night, and an ice cream social on Saturday.

Yes, the sites were mostly open, typical of Ohio State Parks, with full grass and paved parking pads (IIRC). The cul-de-sac style loops have grey water disposal sites, nice for popups.

The inland 'lakes' were very small. We had a path to one of them, and casted for a bit, but no luck. Erie was brown, and we did not consider going into it. I hope that was just sand stirred up, but we were not used to that type of water.

The zoo is not far away, and certainly worth a day trip.

4. ataijar4

ataijar4 New Member

I was going to stay there last July but by the time I got around to making reservations they were booked up. I talked to someone there & they say it does start to fill up mid to late summer pretty quickly.
    I will be going there next summer (2010) as I have heard lots of good reviews.

5. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

The GLPUC is having their annual rally at Maumee bay this year. Can't wait to see it!

6. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

We live about 25 minutes away from Maumee Bay SP.

Over the past 25 years, the trees in the campsites have begun to grow. They let the grasses grow between the sites, so it provides some privacy and separation....you definitely know where your site ends the next one begins. The pads are nice and level, while most of each site is nice soft grass (great of tents). There is electricity for each site, but none of water.

There are two beaches. One directly on Lake Erie. Another on the inland lake (nice bath houses).
    Many trails for hiking and biking. The boardwalk over the wetlands area is fantastic, with a nice nature center.
    There is a Scottish links golf course.

There lodge is very nice. Indoor and outdoor pools. Racquetball, Wally-ball courts. Nice restaurant overlooking the lake. They also have cottages to rent, some that sleep up to 12 people.

We've camped their many times with our tent. It's a great place to take people who have never camped before.

There are many gatherings there throughout the year (big scout events, kite-flying club weekend, etc.) There is a nice outside stage for free performances. If you like deer, just drive around at dusk and you can't miss seeing them!

The entire park is well maintained and very clean.

7. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I'm curious, since there are snake warning signs all over the campground, how many of you that have been there have actually encountered any?

8. Lighting Guy

Lighting Guy New Member

We were there in June 2012. I don't remember seeing any signs for the snakes, however as soon as we pulled into our site, a gardener (we think) came almost right up to us. We waited a few and it went away, never saw another one.

HOWEVER, the park (at least our camp site) was infested with ticks. I say infested because I was literally standing outside of the PUP cooking, and flicking them off my ankles. The dog ended up bringing a couple home, and we found a couple in our bags when we cleaned them out in the driveway. It was really gross and ruined Maumee Bay for us, which is sad because my (now) wife and I spent a lot of time there when we were younger and loved it. There were signs posted near the bath house about ticks, but didn't realize just how bad it would be.

9. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Wow...ticks are not something I could tolerate. Thx for the info.

10. Basketcase38

Basketcase38 New Member

We were at Maumee in July, 2012. We saw a fairly big Fox snake near the bath house. A ranger came and sedated and tagged it. He let the kids and I hold it for a bit too. And I agree about the ticks...they were awful!

11. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

East Harbor State Park is about an hour away and is really nice.

12. mandl

mandl Member

We spent 12 days at Maumee this summer. It was clean almost to a fault! There is not much shade but you would not need it this time of year. A lot of things to do and see in the area. Nice bike paths and nature trails. Many deer (did not have tick problems when we were visiting) but it has a very social skunk population. We were visited every night by a skunk. It meandered through our campsite and checked everything out. Like other skunks I have dealt with, it was not destructive. It stayed out of our neighbors camp because the had a dog (on a leash), it seemed to understand that and just skirted their camp when the dog was present, when the dog was in the trailer it visited their site. It did not fear people, it walked under my camp chair while I was in it. I continued talking to my wife , asking where it was (she would not make a noise) . It also stayed to the edges of our camp if we had a big fire going. I will take a friendly visit from a skunk over a terrorist attack from racoons any day!

mandl

13. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I have been to Maumee Bay State Park many times to use the trails and the lodge, the campground looks nice but i have never used it. The Lodge is absolutely beautiful.

As for East Harbor, I went there yesterday to check it out before making a reservation for next weekend and was surprised how many people were actually camping there, especially considering that the pet section was largely under water. The rest of the cg is pretty nice, but the pet section is very swampy.

Harrison Lake in Fayette is a very nice park and very family oriented. It is about an hour west of Toledo.

14. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Since we live so close to MBSP, we go there often just to hike, bike, have dinner at the lodge, etc..
    We have never seen a snake. And we've never seen a tick.

If you go around the 4th of July, you can stand on the shore of Lake Erie and see several firework displays happening at the same time!

15. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

Can't say enough good things about MBSP! Nice large sites with built in privacy. The shade issue is getting better as trees grow. Plenty to do in the park!