OH- Rocky Fork State Park

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by tbone42, May 17, 2011.

1. tbone42

tbone42 New Member

I learned a valuable camping lesson this weekend. If it looks like the best area to camp in the whole park, it is likely a lot of other people know this too and they have a bunch of bratty kids.

Yep, out of control children whose parents could care less what they were doing were running rampant through the park this weekend. Running through our campsight, screaming at the top of their lungs, even after quiet time began in the dark. I was just about to drag myself down to the office and complain when one of the over-excited kids tripped over a fire pit ring in the dark and had to limp back to Mom and Dad, who FINALLY put the lid on the whole affair. But, by 7am it started all over again on Saturday. Luckily some rain now and then kept it less noisy for a few hours while they were inside their 5th wheel rolling McMansion playing their hand held video games or watching videos or whatever

Additionally, same camping group had a real roblem keeping their dogs leashed. Totally inconsiderate.

Anyhow, we saw many other areas that we could have camped in that were less pretty or less shady, but would have definitely been a lot quieter. As a result, I will avoid sight #152 and the sights around it from now on, because that is NOT a well kept secret. There were some pull through sights across the way that were completely deserted, not to mention some primitive sights that not only were secluded but beautiful. Next time, we boondock it back in those primitive woods.

The park itself is grand. It has great amenities, shower houses are cleaned regularly and on schedule, the campstore is STOCKED with plenty of things for your trip. Fishing sights are plentiful and in good condition. The lake is gorgeous and big. Those of you who are religious minded will REALLY like the Chapel in the Woods, which has 8am services on Sundays and is a 30 step walk on a trail through the woods into a pretty outdoor chapel.

I really like this park, my experience with other campers aside, I have to say it is one of the nicest state parks I have camped in yet.

2. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] tbone42 Thanks for the post, it has been years since I have been there, it is on my list for 2013 lord willing.

3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

thanks for the input! it so happened i just received a email from them for a free 3day/2night camping for a first timer! i was just about ready to call for more info on that

4. GibbsGang

GibbsGang New Member

Rocky Fork is near and dear to my heart. My parents used to drag me, my brother and my sister there all the time in the summer. Sometimes we'd rent a little fishing boat and putt around the lake. Other times we would just swim in the lake. I think there's only one swimming area now but back then there were two that I remember. There were a lot of picnic spots all around the lake to0. Camping at that time was only in a tent but every outing was always memorable. It's beautiful in winter too. Once the lake froze solid and was a sight to see!

I've since of course infected my own kids with the same great lake and we go there as many time as we can muster.

tbone42 - have you heard of Hocking Hills ? It's about another hour drive for me but well worth it. It's near Chilicothe, OH. If you haven't been you should definitely check it out. Beautiful waterfalls, caves, hiking trails, and nice camping

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i think im going to try the campground out, but not until 2013 with the pup. what about the cabin rentals? was wondering if anybody ever stayed in one. im putting the pup in storage after next week but would still consider maybe taking a quick last minute camping trip after that 2-3 hour ride for me in the jeep.

6. GibbsGang

GibbsGang New Member

vagov,

Only done tent camping there at Rocky Fork...the cabins look nice from the outside but never spent a night in them :)

7. Justin91

Justin91 Member

I did not want to start a new topic, has anyone camped at Rocky fork lately? We are planning on taking our pup there for our first time out since it is close. Does anyone have any recommendations for which site? Looking for some. Shade and a safe stretch for bike riding by a 7 year old and myself.

Thanks!

Justin

8. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Justin91, this is about 20 minutes from my house. Where do you live? I would love to have some camping buddies in the are.

We checked it out a few months ago. It was pretty...meh. Not a lot of great sites. I highly suggest you check out paint creek instead. Its not much further away and has a lot nicer of sites and nicer lake.

9. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I spent 2 weeks in Hocking Hills also and it is beautiful. We went to the left at the top of the hill and like those sites. Showers are really nice too. We r spending 4 weeks in two diff parks in Oh this fall. Cant wait....

10. Justin91

Justin91 Member

OK, it has been awhile since I have posted and reviving this thread. We have now camped at Rocky Fork Lake SP now about a half dozen times. We love it there, mostly because it is pretty flat and has plenty of roadway for my us to ride our bikes. We also let our son who is now 8 have a little more freedom and as long as he is in our site we allow him to ride his bike where he wants.

I have not tried Paint creek yet Luigoismad, but we are planning to in late June, hopefully I will have some Kayaks by then to try out. I live in Winchester Oh, I work a lot of hours, so a quick trip to Hillsboro is great for a quick weekend getaway.

I do wish they had more hiking trails, they only have a one short one.

We plan on Doing Shawnee, Cowen Lake and also Hocking hills later this year.

We will be camping in the rain at Rocky fork tonight through the weekend.

11. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Justin - I'd definitely recommend both Paint Creek and Shawnee over Rocky Fork. Rocky Fork has a nice lake, but the campground leaves a LOT to be desired. Its very open. And I hate feeling like I'm on display to passersby, you know?

Here is a site at Shawnee -

[​IMG]

And then here is where the fire ring is at, behind the site.

[​IMG]

Here is a site we frequently get at Paint Creek - 20 yards from the lake, and you're down in a dip so the whole campground can't see you

[​IMG]

12. handdydaddy

handdydaddy Active Member

Here is a site we frequently get at Paint Creek - 20 yards from the lake, and you're down in a dip so the whole campground can't see you

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Can you suggest a few good spots at paint creek? We love Shawnee but are trying to branch out some.

13. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

This is from my spreadsheet-o-campsites

14. handdydaddy

Wow! Thanks so much. We made a similar list for Shawnee back when we used the tent. Need to redo it now that we have the pup. Really looking forward to checking out more of the Onio parks.

15. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

NP. Glad I could help.

16. Justin91

Justin91 Member

Thanks Lugoismad! Looks like some nice sites.

17. handdydaddy

Plans have been made and weather permitting we will be staying at paint creek at the end of July. I feel like a kid waiting die christmas morning lol.

18. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I just got back from Hocking Hills- Old Mans Caves-- We walked 12 miles out first day and it was awesome. Even walked around , I think its called Hope Lake. We could only stay two days because that's when the sky's opened up. That is a great place to camp, even have a nice pool..We stayed on site 108

19. buckeyebud

buckeyebud Member

I just went to Hocking Hills state park and the whole family said never again.
    I thought the bathrooms/shower house were disgusting allways wet and muddy even after the lady was cleaning it
    and really vault toilets no thanks
    If we go back there we will find another spot

20. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Yeah, they need to update the smaller toilet houses. And I know what you mean about the muddy bathroom. Its because they set it up so almost everyone walks through the mud/grass to get to it. Its in a stupid location.