Ohiopyle State Park, PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by JeepMama, Aug 29, 2011.

1. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

A quick review:

Great experience for our family. We loved all the things you could do: hiking, biking and the rafting, kayaking etc. Also nearby Falling Waters (Frank Lloyd Wright). Must go to the Natural Water Slides and Cucumber Falls.

Bathrooms were iffy, cracked tiles, needed a good scrubbing. Picnic table at our site was propped up by a large boulder, but most other sites had newer, nicer picnic tables. There were children's play areas throughout - but they needed mulch and were very muddy. They had wood and ice for sale on site - reasonably priced.

We had site 131, it was smaller and had a slope towards the back. There was trash around, so my boys took a bag and did some cleanup first thing. And be aware that there are train tracks nearby and you will hear the train throughout the night, we found it charming, but others might be disturbed.

We'd go back for sure, but I would bring some bleach for the bathroom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macqude

macqude New Member

Camped at Ohiopyle every year for the past 7 years usually 7 to 10 days. We love riding the rails to trails to Confluence to get a ice cream. The trail is easy enough for my kids to pedal it (20 mile round trip). We usually stop along the trail and go swimming in the river to help break up the trip. The camp grounds are usually clean, some camp sites are better than others. It has been very quiet when we go and the train at night is off in the distance which adds a nice touch. We will continue to camp at Ohiopyle and have our friends now camping there too. One recommendation is to take Kentuck Rd not Rt381! Rt 381 will have you taking your rig [HY] up the side of a mountain that will make you wonder if your TV [TV] is going to make it.

3. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Agree on the Kentuck Rd!!!

Camped there a couple weeks ago. Great campsite with great scenery and things to do.

4. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

We camped here a few years ago. Park was nice but we were there in July. It was just getting dark when we were reminded that quiet time was at 9:00 and they meant it.

5. phager76

phager76 Active Member

We're in Ohiopyle right now. I totally agree with JeepMama, the bath houses (at least the only one that's open this early in the season, which is the one between the dumpsters and the dump station) are incredibly run down. The layout is archaic, showers right when you open the door and stalls around the corner. On stall had no lock, the other had no light, kind of made me wish I had a hybrid or TT.

On the other hand, the park and campground themselves are beautiful. Our site (190) was a fair bit out of level so I had to crank the BAL almost to the top. I could have easily jockeyed the trailer to a better orientation, but I'm glad I didn't, since we're looking at 60mph gusts tonight and the campers current orientation means I'll be facing them head on instead of broad side.

I'd love to come back later in the season and see what it looks like with more foliage. Also the rangers patrol quite regularly and we've friendly. The train noise isn't bad at all IMHO, quite relaxing to me, and didn't keep me up at all.