OK I Am Confused About Are Heaters In Are Two Campers Please Help Need Info

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by HYDETHERAT, Sep 18, 2010.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I wish I could read that entire 'Operating Instructions' placard in the second picture.

Looks to me like you turn and depress knob B and hold it down, which allows gas into the valve. Then is E an ignitor button of some sort? Press that baby repeatedly until it lights.

First thing I'd do, though, is get out the shop vac and get after all that dirt in there. I don't know what all's in there, but some of it looks to me like it could burn. You could end up like Mrs. O'Leary and start the Great Shecago Fire. That's no good.

Alright - any spelling errors, typos or bad grammar other than the intended one? Nope, I think I'm okay.

2. badhabit1

badhabit1 New Member

That is a fridge! Not a heater. No pilot light, small burner as stated prior. Yes, you must light from the outside, should be an ignitor near the floor to the left side of the unit. Red button near the floor is the gas purge. Must be pressed to light unit and held until the thermocouple gets hot.

3. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

ok if i am under standing every one step are like my otehr one

1. turn on propane
    2. on the thermostat switch it to on
    3. adjust temperature

so the fan should start then a few seconds later should ignite

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

bupkis and badhabit1 have hit it. HYDETHERAT, I think you are confusing the furnace and the fridge. Those pictures you posted show the back of a Dometic fridge.

Most modern PUPs have furnaces with an electronic igniter, not a pilot light. You don't have to "light" the furnace. If everything is working properly, when the thermostat calls for heat the fan starts and that moves the sail switch which, in turn, allows the gas valve to open and then the electronic igniter starts the gas burning. On most modern furnaces there is no outside access to the back of the furnace.

The fridge controls are accessible through an access hatch on the outside of the trailer. You do have to light the propane according to the directions provided. Fridges do not have a pilot light. (A pilot light is there to ignite a bigger flame when a gas valve is opened, like on a gas range at home.) The small flame you start when you light up the fridge is the actual flame that heats the ammonia to cause cooling. There will be no fan noise because the fridge doesn't have a fan. The only way you will be able to tell if the fridge is running is to feel the stack (that metal box and tube on the right in the first picture) and see if it is warm after a few minutes. It will take several hours for the interior of the fridge to get cold.

We had a similar situation where another poster confused fridge and furnace controls earlier this month. You can read about it here:

Furnace and Fridge don't work!

I hope this helps.

5. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

ok thank you for you help (all of you ) so i could run fridge with no electricity it just runs on propane? if that is what i am under standing so i think i am good thank you

6. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Yes, you should be able to run the Dometic refrigerator on propane only. However, I speak from experience here -- you should definitely clean that area first. I am already having problems with the pilot light in an almost-new Palomino pop-up. It's very easy for that area to get contaminated enough that the pilot light won't light at all, or won't stay lit.

Good luck!

7. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

As an editor, it does my heart good to see that people care enough about spelling and grammar to consider discussing it. [;)]

8. Unstable_Tripod

Once again, the fridge does not have a pilot light. The little propane flame does not serve to ignite a bigger flame, which is the function of a pilot light. That little propane flame is the one doing the work of heating the ammonia.

9. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

If you can remove the furnace cover inside the pup you should see 2 or 3 tubes/ pipes. If one looks like the ignighter on your bbq . one will be a therocouple and the other will be your pilot light. IF when you turn your thermostat on you hear the blower , after 10 20sec's you should here a clicking sound of the ignighter . if you have no flame (there should be a little window to check) but the ignighter is sparking then check 1. make sure your propane is on 2. check make sure there is nothing blocking the exhaust/intake vent directly on the outside of the trailer(previous owner might have covered to keep bugs dirt out) 3. try vacumning out the intake/exhaust and using some high presure air to blow them out. (bugs and even mice can get in there not to mention alot of dirt an crud) . 4 When your fairly sure it is clean and the air flow is getting through test/check your thermocouple (can do a search for how to check thermocouple online- i lost the link [:(] - continuity test or something cant think of the name. also check to see if the end of the thermocouple where the pilot light heats it is scorched , a little emery cloth can sand this clean again.

You could have either a "thermocouple" or spark sensor? (man my memory sucks)but seach it online and you can see what you have an what it does. Also a weak battery could be an issue if your not plugged in to electric.

Hope this helps you out in some way

10. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I guess it never occurred to folks to check the calendar. Maybe his post was just getting a jump on celebrating International Talk Like a Pirate Day...? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE ME HEARTIES!

11. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    OK, I think enough commentary has been directed towards spelling, syntax, and grammar. At least you understood the semantics.

Rather than make another PUP feel badly, how about we focus on his problem? This thread stands to help many people and I would hate to lock it for abuse.

I searched for about an hour last night to see if I could match that picture up with a Dometic fridge, water heater, or furnace. I couldn't, so I gave up.

My guess by looking at it is that it is NOT your furnace. A typical furnace is 8-17K BTU, and would require MUCH more flame than that aparatus could supply. It looks like a fridge. A propane fridge only requires a flame about the size of a pilot light.

The red switch is an ignitor, not a purge valve. I would strongly caution all members from posting replies only if they have some expertise in the subject. In a topic that involves a propane appliance, misinformation could result in dire consequences. Think about that before you reply.

12. mrbill

mrbill Central Coast of California

As several people noted the picture is indeed of a refrigerator.

As Riverwalker said:
    And this is partially true, however as HYDETHERAT said the PUP is a 1986 this may not be true. My 1986 Jayco 806 has furnace with a pilot light that needs to be lit and there is no window to see it or the flame of the furnace when it's working. Basically you take the front grill off the furnace, turn the gas to the furnace on, then you turn the thermostat's sliding switch to "ON" and turn it up all the way and wait for the blower to come on. Then, you hold the red button in and push the igniter button about 6 times while still holding the red button in for about another minute before letting it out slowly. If you got it all right, the heat should start coming out. If it does, you can put the grill back on, set thermostat to wherever you want and your good to go!

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

HYDETHERAT, if you can post a couple pictures on the front sides of the furnaces, also post some of the outside (backside) of them but zoomed out so we can see what the compartments look like. May just be enough to clarify the answers. Also do you see any model numbers listed on either of the heaters?? (make, model number) as these will definately help out.

14. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

yah i can do that i am going over to the camper in a few hours so i will post pics tonight

15. yogi

yogi New Member

Is this close to what you need??
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2144815_switch-vintage-trailers-propane-refrigerator.html

16. Unstable_Tripod

yogi, he wants to switch the furnaces, not the fridges. The problem is that he apparently mistook the back of the fridge for the back of the furnace on one of the campers.

17. yogi

yogi New Member

OOPS! Once again, I read between the lines, My Bad! [:D]

18. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Sorry -- it's just shorthand because of its appearance. I should have said the burner.

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Is this thread about furnaces, grammar or fridge burner as small as a pilot?

20. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]