OK Ladies....!!!!! ALL THE HANDYWOMEN!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by eve104, Apr 25, 2010.

1. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

2. Luv2hikeAR

Luv2hikeAR New Member

Impressive!

3. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

4. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

I'm a 50-year woodworker who mentors women in taking up the hobby. On the Expedition Portal there is a thread called the "Crows Wing" which is an offroad teardrop trailer build by a husband/wife team - go see what Beth does - she is fabulous in design and construction skills.

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I'm willing to try stuff and I like to problem solve. My husband is the one with the skills and the engineer genes, but his office job doesn't leave him as much time for it as we would like. So together we make a pretty good team when we tackle something. I'm the "handy candy" part of the team. BTW He's an instruction reader...I'm not. [;)]

6. EileanT

EileanT New Member

Ah yes, we call that being "Honey,Baby,Sweetie"d in our house. I have had the exact same problem. I used to drive a diesel rabbit and EVERY time i went to refuel some "well meaning" idiot would ask me... "you know that is the diesel pump, right?" Nope... thought it ran on cotton candy thanks for the help! ARGH!

I did a lot in the pup before my spinal injury makes it super hard to get on the floor and expect to get back up. I redid the plumbing for most of it and just did the 12 volt electrics. Haven't felt well enough to tackle the 110 yet... maybe this weekend.

So glad to see that I am not the only girl that knows how to function without a man telling them what to do! GO GIRL POWER! I love being self reliant. I can do anything if I can just get some good directions!

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Handy Babes Do It With Power!

There's a t-shirt for us!

;D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Eilean....have you had a chance to try the grab bar yet?? I'm really curious to know how it works for you!
    [:D]

9. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

The way the pup is laid out, we can't get it to mount. On one side, the cabinet is too far from the door to mount the floor pipe without bending the rail; and on the other, the wheel is too close to the door to put the eye hook in the frame.

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Well, it was a first try prototype, so maybe (omg I forgot who made it. gggrrr sr moments) is willing to try again! It sounds like he enjoys designing useful stiff. If you put it in the pup and take photos of where it doesn't jive, it seems like it could be a work in progress!!
    [:D]

11. EileanT

EileanT New Member

Well all things considered I am able to get in and out pretty well now. I have gotten VERY good at hauling my *FLUFFY* self up and down into the pup and only need a tiny bit of help to get out. Matt stands outside and I put my hand on his shoulder to steady myself getting from the step onto the ground.

And back to our regularly scheduled thread...
    Today we got the whole 110/12 volt system working except for 1 circuit on the 12 volt side. (I think there is something wrong with how we are trying to switch the water pump) The radio I bought and half installed (pre injury) now works just fine. I am almost ready to fix the plumbing. Have the Home Depot list made just need the time and the $. Since the po tore out so much I have a lot to do. This is not to say that Matt didn't do anything... he did. Exactly what I told him too! [LOL]

12. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Eilean's father was a Naval Academy trained engineer. Mine's an artist. Can you see how I'm at a slight disadvantage here?

13. Tracysues

Tracysues New Member

Hey, ladies!! I have learned to be a DIYer. I have been divorced since 1995, and have learned if I want/need something done I have to do it myself, most of the time can't afford to pay someone else to do it! Great feeling of accomplishment when doing it on my own. I hate the reaction from people when they know I am doing a project myself, like women just can't do it right or something, so here is a shout out to all of us do it yourself women out there!! I'm looking forward to doing some mods to my new PUP on my own!!

14. Theblindlady

Theblindlady Member

Oh yea, I do all my own work. I have a woodworking shop and I don't think there is anything I can't fix [:D] I got a 1993 Palamino a couple years ago and couldn't wait to start moding. It is now designed to fit ME and my likes. An my grandsons' too. I have to get some pics up of my own design awning. Modeled it after the big rigs. It is a lot bigger and covers everything. Oh well, that's for another day.

15. AMomInLove

AMomInLove New Member

I am MUCH more handy that my husband and do the mods/maintenance here myself also :)

16. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I just wished that I had an air conditioned workshop to work in. I can't do anything in this heat.

17. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I like! [;)]

Campit

18. Mile High Mama

Mile High Mama New Member

<puts her hands up> [:D]

Same here. The pup is my baby. DH doesn't even know how to hitch it or set it up. So all repairs and maintenance are done by me, or else I have to get someone else to do it!

Linda

19. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

My dad was the kind that could fix anything, and was always remodeling or adding on to our house. Since I was daddy's girl, I spent alot of time helping him. Also, when I got my license he insisted that I was able to change oil and change a flat. When I bought my house as a single person, I was able to do alot of the remodeling myself. I put in a new kitchen, and the only help I needed was from my brother, for lifting the new cabinets in place. DH on the other hand never learned stuff like that from his family. He did learn from friends, working landscaping and construction while in college. Due to some physical limitations on his part, I do most of the yard work, maintenance, etc.

20. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Nice work, hope that you're not winterizing your pop up already!