OK - Lake Murray

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by rustyduke, Mar 19, 2007.

1. rustyduke

rustyduke New Member

Our first trip out in the new to us PU. The place was great. Have been tent camping all over Texas SP's and believe this rivaled any of them as far as upkeep. Restrooms/Showers cleaned everyday, easy access to water from every site, Wal-mart 20 mins. away (wife was happy), and geese let my son feed them. Will definitely go back.

Me, her, and little man
    '98 Fleetwood Premiere
    '04 Durango

2. Oldtimer69

Oldtimer69 New Member

3. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

I know this is an old topic, but I just got back from Lake Murray SP and thought I would update this thread instead of starting a new one.

We visited Lake Murray SP the weekend of May1-May3, 2015. We drove from Tulsa/Broken Arrow and it was a good 3.5 hr drive down there. We arrived on Friday around 11:30am, and let me just say, the popular campgrounds were already PACKED! This is definitely not a park to casually drive down to Friday after work, as all the good spots will be gone by Friday morning it seems like.

The most popular campgrounds are on the west side of the lake, and they seem to be Elephant Rock, Cedar Cove, and Buzzards Roost. I drove through these campgrounds around 11:30 and could only find a handful of open sites in each of these areas. We had a group of 3 campers plus tenters coming so we needed at least 3 campsites together with a decent middle area, so needless to say these areas were not going to work.

We finally made it down to the southern tip of Lake Murray to Marietta Landing campground and found our paradise! There were only a handful of sites already taken, and it was a very nice and shady campground with a decent amount of room between most sites. It seems like it is definitely the overflow campground, as most of the sites didn't fill in until later Friday evening.
    We stayed in Site#10 in Marietta Landing. Most of the sites are pretty decently level with fire rings and concrete picnic tables. Across the road from our site were other sites along the water's edge. A few of those sites had trails down the rocks down to the water. It was a great place to take the dogs to run in the water, as it had a slight beachy element to it.
    The park office closes at 4:30 pm, and they have rangers/camp hosts that come around to collect money for the sites after you set up camp. The bath house in Marietta Landing was a short walk from any campsite. They were a bit run down and old but were clean, and that is all that matters to me. I did not use the showers, as they were less than appealing to me (bad shower heads and not very warm water).
    The water/electric sites were $20/night.
    Overall we had a great experience here. It is a very pretty park, and VERY LARGE with lots to explore. I would love to try to go back when it is less busy, in the off season or during the week, as I loved some of the sites in the popular campground areas. Very shady, lots of sites with good privacy and surroundings.

4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We love Lake Murray, need to get back there again this year.....But ours is in SC...

5. SherryinBA

SherryinBA New Member

Another Broken Arrowan here. Lake Murray is beautiful and the water is crystal clear. Aren't we lucky here in Oklahoma to have such beautiful lakes and camping opportunities?

6. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

We are very lucky here in OK - it seems that for the most part we have all different types of campgrounds and atmospheres in our state. Now if I just had a chance to visit them all in a timely manner [:D]
    I can't wait to get out to western OK and try a couple of campgrounds out there in the middle of nowhere!

7. CajunAWACS

CajunAWACS New Member

Did 2 nights at Lake Murray earlier this month (Oct 2015). As VonValterstein says, the west side was quite busy. Of note:

No reservation system at all. All first-come, first-served. Luckily we were on an off-peak weekend. We drove through the main camping areas and settled on a spot in Cedar Cove around mid-day. Nice spot on the lake, but the rest of the area filled up pretty quick. Bath house was a little run down, but clean and a short walk from any site in the loop. We could have tried going further south along the lake or around to the east side but it was a short weekend trip so we just picked a site & went with it. If we go back, though, we'd definitely go that route. Or Pecan Grove looked nice, too, as we drove by.

Small playground, no shade, but it was cool enough and the kids had fun.

The trails are marked, but the posts on the trails don't match the names in the maps they hand out at the visitor center. They're easy enough to navigate, but you'll have to pay attention to know where you're headed.

Firewood was $5/10-piece bundle at the main lodge. The nature center and tower on the southeast end of the lake were neat and worth the drive down to check it out. There were some nice exhibits about the CCC camp that was there.

Short drive into Ardmore for supplies. Or in our case, dinner one night when we got tired of deli & hot dogs. We enjoyed a place called Two Frogs, then desert at Braum's (because Oklahoma).

Overall a very nice camping spot, provided you know what you're up against with the potential crowds, especially during the busier weekends/summers.

8. VulcanGuy

VulcanGuy New Member

Drove thru lake Murray last weekend scouting sites . some areas open some closed . We usually go to Martins Landing but lots of nice areas !