Ok, ordered a weather radio

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by bfahs, Jul 24, 2014.

1. bfahs

bfahs Member

After the storms in VA, Don't want to rely on my cell phone for weather info. Ordered a weather radio today.

2. RangerZ

RangerZ Member

Smart move, you'll be glad. I went through strong winds and snow last fall - I got a weather radio this past spring. I've had great reception in nearly all locations including those without cell service.

3. skysummit

skysummit Member

Here's a handy link on google earth that shows you the location of all NOAA transmitters. It may be useful to quickly find the closest transmitter to your campground.

http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/69419/00007a.jpg

I have one if each of these. Personally, I like the 74-200 better, but the WR-100 has shown me better reception.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

I have been considering something like this as well. On the pic of the WR-100 it shows 'tornado'. Will this alert if the radio portion is off, or does the radio need to be on at all times?

5. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I have a WR120. I think I bought it at Walmart but I'm not sure.

You need to turn it on and leave it on. Follow the manual to set the county you are in.

Mine has three alert settings: display only, voice, and tone only. Display only means it only shows the alert on the screen. Voice has an alert tone for 8 seconds then turns the broadcast on for 3 mins. Tone only plays the alert tone for 3 mins.

You can also press the big weather/snooze to listen to the weather broadcast.

6. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

I have both of those living here in "Tornado Alley", and you can't go wrong with either. However, I also like the 74-200 better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

Oh, and another nice thing about those is the 9v battery backup. They'll still work even if you lose power. When we have a warning, we'll unplug one and take it with us to the safe room so we can listen for updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

The WR120 has battery backup. 3 AA batteries.