OK to use a WDH on a 2020 Rockwood ESP camper?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Brian2020, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Brian2020

Brian2020 Member

Hi, I'm considering purchasing a new Rockwood ESP tent trailer. Does anyone know if the frame on this camper is strong enough to handle a WDH? I find using one with my current camper (Coleman Sun Valley) makes for a much better ride, and would like to continue doing so with the new camper. I wrote Rockwood support and all they could say is "I think it would work".

ESP line from Rockwood:
    https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/camping-trailers/rockwood-extreme-sports-package

2. The_Al_Mighty

The_Al_Mighty New Member

I'd wait to see if you actually need it. Take the Rockwood out for a spin on the highway and see how it handles. Don't forget to add weight to it just like you would when you go camping. You may not even need one and that is one less thing to buy and hook up.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Is WDH, the Wyoming Department of Health??

4. Brian2020

Brian2020 Member

Not sure the Wyoming Dept of Health will add any value to my towing ability, or health for that matter ;-). Wdh = Weight Distribution Hitch. Al-Mighty, I intend to test the tow of the new camper without the WDH, but being as it weighs about the same as my Coleman Sun Valley, I'm expecting that I'll need it. I just don't want to buy it, find out I need a WDH, and then not be able to use one because the frame on the Rockwood can't handle it. The Sun Valley tows much better with the WDH.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't own a Rockwood so really don't know a solid answer for you. Usually though if the trailer frame is a box frame you should be OK to use a WDH a C Chanel of other type of frame its almost always a No. Does the manual for the camper give you any hints?

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

This is from the owners manual ......... doesn't Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 6.40.11 PM.png help much ....

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

And this is from the sales brochure .......

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 6.44.47 PM.png

8. Brian2020

Brian2020 Member

THis is very helpful, thank you! The documentation states "tubular steel frame" and "Built-in A-Frame Mounting Provision for Equalizer Hitch Bar Installation". I'm assuming the equalizer hitch bar functions similarly to a single WDH, so... it sounds like the camper can be towed with a WDH. That was my biggest concern. Now knowing this I am going to post my only other significant concern, which is how owners feel towards their Rockwood ESP campers. I hear quality is not great, but I need a camper with more clearance as all I do is boondock and my current camper has kept me out of a few choice locations due to clearance issues.

Rusty2192 likes this.