Old ABS Roof Scraps for Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by AScott, Aug 11, 2019.

1. AScott

AScott New Member

I tried a search for this, but there were so many results with these words it was overwhelming.

Has anyone tried using ABS roof scraps instead of virgin ABS or airsoft pellets for a roof repair? Since it already has the UV protectant in the formula, would it hold up better if not covered with Grizzly Grip right away?

I'm just curious, not sure where one would even source it. The thought just popped into my head while thinking about the inevitable on our NTU Coleman Sea Pine.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The pellets were so much easier to work with.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If your at the point of a repair like that, it will not matter. The rest of the roof thats not repaired will be old and still need to be sealed.

4. AScott

AScott New Member

That's a good point.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Harbor freight sells an ABS plastic welding kit. I dont know enough about the roofs and what all is mixed with the ABS but for $56 I would give it a try.

HeatherBlü likes this.
  6. popuperfromwayback

popuperfromwayback New Member

Another option to consider is a product I've used in my trade (commercial ice machine service). Hoshizaki Ice Machines use an ABS interior that suffer from cracking overtime due to thermal cycling and ice crashing down on some parts during the harvest cycle. Their solution is an ABS repair kit consisting of ABS chips and a small thin sheet (4" x 4") that you mix with acetone available at any home depot. We use a mason canning jar and mix this up as needed for these type repairs. Their part number is HS-0130KIT. If you search the webs for that item you'll find it readily available and cheap. Hope this helps others. I'm about to apply this to my newly acquired pristine 96 Coleman with minor roof cracks.

HeatherBlü likes this.
  7. MarkesOlliver

MarkesOlliver New Member

If i was in that problem, i would ask roof repair expert to do whole roof repair.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The problem is not many will work on them ,and the cost is usally way more then the pup costs.

9. popuperfromwayback

It really comes down to how bad is the original abs and how much time do you want to put into it. Drilling, grooving, patching then sanding those cracks are easy enough but tedious to do it right. These are awesome little campers but that roof just wasn’t made to stand the test of time.

10. popuperfromwayback

It really comes down to how bad is the original abs and how much time do you want to put into it. Drilling, grooving, patching then sanding those cracks are easy enough but tedious to do it right. These are awesome little campers but that roof just wasn’t made to stand the test of time.

11. popuperfromwayback

12. popuperfromwayback

Sorry for the repeating post. Working from my phone and it didn’t update when I posted.

13. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member