Old jayco lift problems

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Soberchick715, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Soberchick715

Soberchick715 New Member

So we bought a 1981 jayco, the interior was redone, and I do not know anything about pop ups, our first camping trip the cable breaks. We packed it in and came home. I paid a guy $300 to replace the cable. He said if he knew the camper was that old he never would have agreed to fix it because the camper is at the end of its life and he cant guarantee his work. So he didn't go through the rest of the lift and said just enjoy it while it lasts, so I go to pop it up and it wont stay up, I tried a couple of times and felt I had it up pretty high. I'm beyond discouraged, we blew our entire tax return on this thing and haven't been able to use it not once.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal.

Don't get discouraged. There are lots of campers on the road which are older. That camper could ave many more years of happy camping left in it.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU PUP. As stated there are a lot of units older than yours and are still on the road and being used. Most times they just need TLC and keep on camping. Most people that own PUP's do their own repairs & remodeling. Just take your time and think things thru, and do not be afraid to ask question on PopUp Portal, I can almost guarantee that someone will be glad to answer any questions. Good Luck and happy Camping

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

Don't get discouraged. Take your time and think things out and should be able to find a workable solution.

6. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

Welcome from central Georgia. Don’t get discouraged. We bought a 1997 Coleman Taos. Got it home and the lift system was in need of some repair. We found a shop that agreed to work on it. It seemed to take forever to get it out of the shop but we finally got it home. We are going to Stephen C Foster state park next weekend. I’ve already taken it on a trout fishing trip. Worked flawlessly. Stay patient after repair great times ahead.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

8. KLO

KLO New Member

My husband and I bought 1976 Jayco knowing some cables needed replacing. We are new to this site and repairing a pop up. If I did it correctly, I attached a PDF from Jayco that has five different diagrams on their lift system that might be helpful. I also posted it in the resources area. On a side note, we did replace all cables and currently have the roof off and repairing significant water damage :)

Attached Files: