Old Orchard Beach

Discussion in 'Maine' started by Starcraft Away, May 26, 2012.

1. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

[PU]

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has any info or suggestions for campgrounds in the Od Orchard Beach Area.
    Currently we are looking at booking at powderhorn campground because it got good reviews on trip advisor, but any and all feedback/advice would be appreciated
    Cheers.
    [PU]

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

powederhorn is nice. stay away from hidden pines, unless you enjoy a really strict and pricey trip !

have not been to Nere beach, but heard they pack em in like sardines there from friends !

http://www.nerebeach.com/rates.html

3. IVBENS

IVBENS Member

We are headed to Bayley's for the first time over 4th of July. It's got all the amenities we were looking for.

4. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

We looked at that CG as well, it had sketchy reviews about the bathrooms during the weekends , powder horn got better bathrooms comments so we are rolling the dice on them. Both Cg's have great amenities and close to trolley and the beach

5. Jenk

Jenk New Member

We have gone to wild acres a few times....kids love it. Easy bike to the beach but plenty to do while in the CG.

6. Viking From ME

Viking From ME New Member

They pack you in like sardines in Powderhorn as well, this seems to be the case with most of the southern coastal campgrounds.

7. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

It doesn't matter where you go for a campground, but on the coast from Portland south you're going to be packed in tight. Think cape cod during high summer and you'll get the idea. If you want a nicer camping experience, I strongly suggest coming a bit further north and trying Hermit Island campground. It's right on the ocean with private beaches and excellent hiking.

If you're looking for touristy and don't mind driving 3 hours further north, Mt. Desert Island has excellent campgrounds, Acadia National Park, and Bar Harbor. Lots of fun stuff to do with kids as well as a fantastic infrastructure. My folks like the Mt. Desert Narrows Campground, but I like it a bit more rustic and prefer Blackwoods Campground right in Acadia.

8. jeeper2007

jeeper2007 New Member

Anyone give me a good site recommendation for wild acres. We are booked the and are thinking of doing a pre camping trip to have a look at CG, my wife likes wooded sites with some privacy. So to keep her happy we have been doing all we can to find what she wants. Thanks

9. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I would agree that in general the CG's along the coast tend to be a bit tight as the real estate is so tight.

I find Hid N' Pines to be a wonderful campground with pristine bathrooms and showers. The previous poster called it strict. I would not say that. Just do not be a yahoo and there is not a problem. It is a family campground with lots of young children camping. This is not for Animal House behavior.

Vin.

10. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I just goggled that Hermit Island campground. It only allows tents and small pop ups. After reading the home page, it would not even accommodate my pop up. They even ask for the camper you have so they can ensure your not too long. That sounds crazy to me. It has to be really tight if a few inches will make the difference between fitting and not fitting. There is no way I would drive that far to crammed in like sardines where an extra inch is a deal breaker. Most bizarre thing I have ever seem.

Vin.

11. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

I live in Old Orchard Beach so I can tell you that, yes, most campgrounds are pretty crowded during "the season". Depending on what you are looking for in a campground, I can give you some advice. In fact, my daughter's high school job was at one of the campgrounds. What are you looking for: activities, nearby attractions, number of sites, etc?