Old People with semi-old pop up!!

Schteveo

Jun 23, 2022
Hello All.

I'm Schteveo, running out of central NC, Johnston County to be precise.

Recently bought a 1995 Palomino Filly pop-up camper.

We used to tent camp, still have all our gear, but this seemed like a good move for folks in mid to late 60's.

Our 'new' unit needs some wood work repairs, but overall it's in great shape, been stored indoors most of it's life. Luckily I have the wood working gear to do this job. (...if I can find my shop under all the junk I threw in there in the last year...)

Momma's 1990 F-150 she inherited from her dad is currently getting a new long block installed. That will have enough guts to pull the trailer, and the kayak and the long bed should carry plenty of new adventures!

My ONLY dilemma is that I can't find a manual for this puppy, but all things can be done if I just keep at it.

ya'll be well,
Schteveo
aka
KY4SLR

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Manuals are basic , but will give an idea of stuff. Have at it and welcome.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Welcome my friend. In my world, you are just a kid. I'm 77 this year. My Viking is a 2003 model. Neither one of us look or feel our age. If you have any questions about your new camper, don't hesitate to ask. Someone on this forum will have the answer. What type of lift system does it have? Does it have a battery, electric breaks, and how is the canvas? Answering those questions gives us a pretty good idea of what you and we are in for.

yetavon

everything is better around a campfire.
Mar 11, 2010
Western NC
Welcome from WNC... If your up for it, Get your things together and head west to Wilkesboro NC for the Sewer Rally in October.

Schteveo

Jun 23, 2022
Manuals are basic , but will give an idea of stuff. Have at it and welcome.
'Basic' is an understatement!

It could be one page that says, "Just figure it out on your own, thanks and Happy Camping!"

I was kind of looking for diagrams or pics of which hose port goes where, how the wiring runs, that sort of thing. But, no joy. I guess I'll figure it out, and go camping...semi-happily.

be well.

Schteveo

Jun 23, 2022
Welcome my friend. In my world, you are just a kid. I'm 77 this year. My Viking is a 2003 model. Neither one of us look or feel our age. If you have any questions about your new camper, don't hesitate to ask. Someone on this forum will have the answer. What type of lift system does it have? Does it have a battery, electric breaks, and how is the canvas? Answering those questions gives us a pretty good idea of what you and we are in for.
Thanks Don,
I must be the gimpiest kid in my hood though.

Bought this from a couple who bought it, took one trip and he had a stroke. She sold it to "get it off his mind", her words not mine. Felt sorry for them, but promised to send them pics of our first trip. She sold it as they bought it, pots, pans, utensils, linens, towels...everything to pull it to X location and set it up.

Our unit has vinyl top, in great shape, one window cover is hinky, but that will be Momma's side, she's anti-breeze when sleeping.

No electric brakes though, the Ford should do the trick fine though. 3/4 ton, long bed with towing pckg.

It's got a 120V to 12V converter under one of the table benches., and two 120V sockets just outside the screen door. Roof lift is hand crank and non-powered roof vent. 3 burner LP stove, I haven't leak checked it yet as the sink / stove flip over counter section needs to be rebuilt. We have other stoves though, I may just remove the 3 burner and put in enough counter top for two, 2 burner propane stoves that we already have.

We're thinking about back yard camping this weekend as a Shakedown Cruise.

That way I can restack / restock stuff and IF we need anything, we can just run into the house / shop / tool barn to get it! Plus access to bathrooms, fridge, etc. I can also incorporate our current gear with this new stuff, and pick the cream of the crop to put in the Palomino. Tier 2 stuff goes into the tent gear boxes, and back into the storage shed.

The only thing I want to add is a clamp of some type welded to the ange just behind the hitch. I 'need' a way to hold a temp antenna for my Ham Radio gear. Last need is some USB charge ports too, given all the stuff that uses those now.

That's about all I can tell or offer pre-trip.

Be well.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Thanks Don,
I must be the gimpiest kid in my hood though.

Bought this from a couple who bought it, took one trip and he had a stroke. She sold it to "get it off his mind", her words not mine. Felt sorry for them, but promised to send them pics of our first trip. She sold it as they bought it, pots, pans, utensils, linens, towels...everything to pull it to X location and set it up.

Our unit has vinyl top, in great shape, one window cover is hinky, but that will be Momma's side, she's anti-breeze when sleeping.

No electric brakes though, the Ford should do the trick fine though. 3/4 ton, long bed with towing pckg.

It's got a 120V to 12V converter under one of the table benches., and two 120V sockets just outside the screen door. Roof lift is hand crank and non-powered roof vent. 3 burner LP stove, I haven't leak checked it yet as the sink / stove flip over counter section needs to be rebuilt. We have other stoves though, I may just remove the 3 burner and put in enough counter top for two, 2 burner propane stoves that we already have.

We're thinking about back yard camping this weekend as a Shakedown Cruise.

That way I can restack / restock stuff and IF we need anything, we can just run into the house / shop / tool barn to get it! Plus access to bathrooms, fridge, etc. I can also incorporate our current gear with this new stuff, and pick the cream of the crop to put in the Palomino. Tier 2 stuff goes into the tent gear boxes, and back into the storage shed.

The only thing I want to add is a clamp of some type welded to the ange just behind the hitch. I 'need' a way to hold a temp antenna for my Ham Radio gear. Last need is some USB charge ports too, given all the stuff that uses those now.

That's about all I can tell or offer
How about a picture or two. But it sounds like you are ready to go. Having a hand crank winch is far better that one of the electric style. But I would consider getting a 20 volt Max cordless drill and an adapter to raise the top. It's much easier that way. Where is the winch located, front tongue or hole in the back?

Schteveo

Jun 23, 2022
Hey, thanks to everyone who chimed in, maybe we'll bump into each other 'out there'.

This is a kind of running dialogue from 8AM to 12:30PM, just kept adding stuff, that's the way my head works.

Today is a pre Shakedown Cruise work day. Today's tasks include,

airing out ALL the cushions for the shake down

(just backyard camping ...my neighbors are gonna be thinking we'be nuts, I'm sure)

I'm currently washing / drying the linens and towels and kitchen schtuff

figuring out the power and water lines

( need to figure out HOW to add in a battery AND my solar panel / power supply, I will gladly accept ALL kibitzing)

BP Blaster on my adjustable rear jack stands so that they are...well... adjustable again

(Well huh!! While crawling around, just discovered it has FORWARD stands too, I can get it completely OFF the tires If I want / need...is this helpful or just more work? For a weekend is the front jack on the tongue NOT good enough or safe enough?)

general cleaning and taking schtock of where everything is or needs to be.

Reseasonong cast iron skillets and pots.

I do have a tool question though. HOW, in the name of whomever you hold Holy, do I keep the tools in the tool bags from getting gunky / rusty? I could spend half a day with WD-40 and 1.264M rags cleaning the tools up, but if they're just going to rerust what's the point? I thought about cleaning them up and putting them in zip loc bags, stash the zip locs in the tool bags but it seems iffy. I've run field service trucks with tools in them, but they NEVER got this gunky and tacky.

I'm going to quit here, lunch time and my poor 4 legged daughter is in need of a nap. She has followed me every step today, and she's worn out.

Ya'll be well
Schteveo is OUT
and 73 to any ham operators out there

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
You say it does not have a battery? Hopefully it has a place on the tongue for a battery. If so, it won't be hard to add one. Ground the negative wire directly to the frame and there should be a white wire in the wiring harness that is a ground directly connected to the controller. The positive wire on the battery should connect to a Red or pinkish wire in the same harness. That also goes to the controller. When asking questions about a particular item, it's best to include a photo of what you are talking about. That helps a lot for us to make sure we are on the same page. Let's see a photo of the wiring behind your controller. Also, lets see a photo of your 7-pin connector and the wiring harness on the tongue. I also recommend an inline fuse, probably about a 30 amp, as close to the positive post on the battery as practicable. A total battery cut-off switch is also highly recommended. Let's start with that.

As for Solar, you will need a solar controller for that as well. Connect the output directly to the battery downstream from the fuse. Don't connect it to the main camper controller. This should keep you busy for a while. LOL

Dave Brick

El Cheapo Family Camper
Nov 29, 2010
Hey, thanks to everyone who chimed in, maybe we'll bump into each other 'out there'.

This is a kind of running dialogue from 8AM to 12:30PM, just kept adding stuff, that's the way my head works.

Today is a pre Shakedown Cruise work day. Today's tasks include,

airing out ALL the cushions for the shake down

(just backyard camping ...my neighbors are gonna be thinking we'be nuts, I'm sure)

I'm currently washing / drying the linens and towels and kitchen schtuff

figuring out the power and water lines

( need to figure out HOW to add in a battery AND my solar panel / power supply, I will gladly accept ALL kibitzing)

BP Blaster on my adjustable rear jack stands so that they are...well... adjustable again

(Well huh!! While crawling around, just discovered it has FORWARD stands too, I can get it completely OFF the tires If I want / need...is this helpful or just more work? For a weekend is the front jack on the tongue NOT good enough or safe enough?)

general cleaning and taking schtock of where everything is or needs to be.

Reseasonong cast iron skillets and pots.

I do have a tool question though. HOW, in the name of whomever you hold Holy, do I keep the tools in the tool bags from getting gunky / rusty? I could spend half a day with WD-40 and 1.264M rags cleaning the tools up, but if they're just going to rerust what's the point? I thought about cleaning them up and putting them in zip loc bags, stash the zip locs in the tool bags but it seems iffy. I've run field service trucks with tools in them, but they NEVER got this gunky and tacky.

I'm going to quit here, lunch time and my poor 4 legged daughter is in need of a nap. She has followed me every step today, and she's worn out.

Ya'll be well
Schteveo is OUT
and 73 to any ham operators out there

My first PUP was an '89 palomino pony. Super simple, had to "military press" the roof up by hand, But less stuff to break.

Anyway, a couple things. The "jackstands" are actually stabilizers. You should not use them to get the PUP "off the wheels". The wheels are where the weight should be. If you use the stabilizers to hold up the PUP you are likely to have trouble by torqueing/bending the frame, then the door wont fit right, and other problems.

Next, unless you plan on ALWAYS plugging in while camping, consider changing out the dome/outside lights to LEDs, they use much less power.

Happy camping! I'd still be using my Pony but I helped out my sister by buying her 2012 coachmen. The people I gave away the Pony to (single mom, 2 kids) are still using it!

Schteveo

Jun 23, 2022
You say it does not have a battery? Hopefully it has a place on the tongue for a battery. If so, it won't be hard to add one. Ground the negative wire directly to the frame and there should be a white wire in the wiring harness that is a ground directly connected to the controller. The positive wire on the battery should connect to a Red or pinkish wire in the same harness. That also goes to the controller. When asking questions about a particular item, it's best to include a photo of what you are talking about. That helps a lot for us to make sure we are on the same page. Let's see a photo of the wiring behind your controller. Also, lets see a photo of your 7-pin connector and the wiring harness on the tongue. I also recommend an inline fuse, probably about a 30 amp, as close to the positive post on the battery as practicable. A total battery cut-off switch is also highly recommended. Let's start with that.

As for Solar, you will need a solar controller for that as well. Connect the output directly to the battery downstream from the fuse. Don't connect it to the main camper controller. This should keep you busy for a while. LOL
Don.
I can send pics in the AM, but what you told me makes perfect sense from looking at the back of the converter.

There IS a battery, But prior owner OR original owner went with a Harbor Freight Battery Charger and a battery 'mounted' inside the Bench Seat where the converter and water tank are located. I personally hate it as it takes up storage room. The spare tire is mounted over the battery location on the tongue, it's a fixable problem x 2.

Battery is currently NOT hooked to anything, just sitting there with it's posts sticking out. But there is a 12V power distribution block, 3 Plug style, just thrown in the water seat too.

HOWEVER, the wire for the Positive side on the charger shows evidence of heating, as does the leads going into that 12V Block. Looks like they got crossed at some point and left that way while the owners blew up air mattresses or ??? I won't use that stuff ever so it will probably go on CL, along with other stuff we'll never use.

(in the rear storage bin there is a back pack mattress, and two hammock tents AND a 3 man tent...not sure WHY you need that AND a pop up....just ME being ME...)

My plans are to move the spare, move the battery, wire it in.

My solar setup has a controller in the kit. It has a 42K Ah battery / storage unit. I think it has two trickle outputs. I'm probably just going to build an output chord for that with clips / clamps to go to the battery to use ONLY when we are set up.

That pretty much rounds out my day. Didn't get everything done, but that's life, eh?

Thanks for the help,
Schteveo

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Don.
I can send pics in the AM, but what you told me makes perfect sense from looking at the back of the converter.

There IS a battery, But prior owner OR original owner went with a Harbor Freight Battery Charger and a battery 'mounted' inside the Bench Seat where the converter and water tank are located. I personally hate it as it takes up storage room. The spare tire is mounted over the battery location on the tongue, it's a fixable problem x 2.

Battery is currently NOT hooked to anything, just sitting there with it's posts sticking out. But there is a 12V power distribution block, 3 Plug style, just thrown in the water seat too.

HOWEVER, the wire for the Positive side on the charger shows evidence of heating, as does the leads going into that 12V Block. Looks like they got crossed at some point and left that way while the owners blew up air mattresses or ??? I won't use that stuff ever so it will probably go on CL, along with other stuff we'll never use.

(in the rear storage bin there is a back pack mattress, and two hammock tents AND a 3 man tent...not sure WHY you need that AND a pop up....just ME being ME...)

My plans are to move the spare, move the battery, wire it in.

My solar setup has a controller in the kit. It has a 42K Ah battery / storage unit. I think it has two trickle outputs. I'm probably just going to build an output chord for that with clips / clamps to go to the battery to use ONLY when we are set up.

That pretty much rounds out my day. Didn't get everything done, but that's life, eh?

Thanks for the help,
Schteveo
After reading all of that, I am reluctant to make any other suggestions. Your system does not sound lilke something I could understand without seeing it in person. But I do think moving the spare tire and mounting the battery on the tongue is a good start. I can't wait to see some photos. Let's keep going!

Schteveo

Jun 23, 2022
OK...Friday Morning, and my butt is about 1/2 inch from dragging directly on...the...ground.

However, thangs ta doo...right now just adding some pics of the camper and especially that power / water box area.

I gotta go order a bunch of fill dirt for a backyard project and pick up some 'astro turf' from Lowes for in front of the camper. Our thinking is, if we don't step right from dirt, gravel, sand into the trailer, it'll stay cleaner. e were usually the ONLY ones with a door mat outside our tents, so, same idea here.

Anyhoobahooba, pics are loaded below. And just like much of the other stuff I own, it ain't pretty, but I own it outright!

Attachments

• 20220916_103846.jpg
    20220916_103846.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220916_103852.jpg
    20220916_103852.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220916_103858.jpg
    20220916_103858.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220916_103909.jpg
    20220916_103909.jpg