old propane tank

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by mickeytopher, Aug 29, 2014.

1. mickeytopher

mickeytopher Member

So I was reading that propane tanks over a certain are obsolete...will replacing the tank be sufficient or do need to upgrade something

2. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Propane tanks need recertification after 10 yrs at least here is Canada. I would just replace the tank....you may have to check your pop's propane hose connection to see if it fits the new style tanks.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

The old pup connection should still work. The newer tanks still have the internal threads.

4. davido

davido Active Member

Really old tanks lacked the overfill safety shutoff. Those may not be refilled in the USA.

Newer tanks that do have the overfill protection may be used for ten years. After ten years they must be recertified. The recertification is good for five years, ane then must be renewed again through the same process.

I have two tanks that are past the ten year mark. Once they're empty I will have to decide if it's even worthwhile to recertify. Sounds like a hastle, probably includes a fee. It might be worth it to me to just get new ones and have the old ones recycled. I probably wont need to decide until next year though; the appliances I use them with are low usage items anyway.

5. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Is the valve handle round or tricorner? Round is old style with no overfill valve. Take it to the nearest tank exchange and exchange it for a newer tank. Try not to get Rhino.

In general, if you prefer to refill your tanks instead of exchange, you can only get a Rhino tank filled at a Rhino facility. They are hard to find.

Rhino tanks have a proprietary fill valve that requires a magnet in the filler nozzle to open the filler valve on the tank.

6. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

Tanks need to be recertified after 12 years, not 10. The date is stamped on the neck ring. Assuming it's a 20lb tank, from my research it really doesn't make much sense for the average person to pay to have their tank recerted when you can simply exchange it essentially for free. Recert requires a physical inspection and replacement of the valve.

7. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Then how come the tank is stamped that it in only good for 10 years after the date stamped onto the tank?

Also. Is it possible to connect two tanks together with a hose to leak some gas from a full one into an empty one? Will this work or does the propane not freely flow from one to the other. Like a check valve of some sort.

Vin.

8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I don't think that will work. Most of what is in the tank is liquid. Just use your old tank until it's empty, then get a new one.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

When I had a real old tank I took it to Lowes who does Blue Rhino. They took the old tank and gave me a filled new one for what I usually pay for a fill. It worked like any other tank. No special anything needed. They only put in 17 Lbs. though but still a good deal.

10. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I was just curious. I would most likely get a new tank. I fill them at a local warehouse club so I want my own tank instead of doing the swap outs. Around here it is a bit more expensive.

11. tombiasi

When you do the swap it is your own tank. You can fill it wherever you want. At least that's the way it is here.

12. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I have had places charge for a recertification and places that didn't. All they do is inspect the tank check the valve for leaks and engrave a date or place a sticker on the tank and log the dot number of the tank in their log book. If you exchange a tank check date on the collar of the tank a lot of the exchange tanks will not have a currant date on them. I go through the rack till I find one with a god date and never over 4 years old. If I'm getting skated a gallon of gas I want a newer tank.

13. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

Yes, Blue Rhino does not fill tanks to full capacity. If you do have a take re-certified, it won't be for another 10 years, it will be good for only another 5 years. Then back to square one again.

Exchange your old take for a Rhino. You might have to be picky when you swap out for a take that has at least 5 years before it's no good again. Once you empty that traded Rhino tank, take that tank and have it refilled full at your favorite place. Cheaper than buying a brand new empty tank and having it filled.

14. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I just had a tank certified. Cost me $5. I'd rather keep my tank when possible. I'm sure the people refilling the tanks from the exchange places,aren't looking at all the ranks closely. Most of these places aren't paying much in wages. You tend to get what you pay for.

15. Phranc

Phranc New Member

elkmontb10, you cannot get a Rhino tank refilled at your "favorite" place. They can only be filled at a Rhino station. The tanks have a proprietary fill valve that requires a nozzle with a magnet in it.

16. tombiasi

Not the ones by me. They are just regular tanks and most brand new. I will check to see if it is Rhino or another company at Lowes. I'm going there now.

17. tombiasi

OK, just got back from Lowes. The Blue Rhino tanks are no different than any propane tank. Confirmed by the guy who runs that department. He said a lot of people bring an old rusty tank and leave with a new or nearly new tank and never again exchange it.

18. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Then I suggest you take that propane tank to a propane supplier and ask them to fill it. Bet they won't.

I repeat, Rhino tanks have a proprietary fill valve that has a valve internally that prevents filling by any other than a Rhino facility.

Ask a real propane professional, not a salesman at a Box store that knows zero about propane tanks.

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

tombiasi

This myth continues, I exchanged a 30 yo cylinder and a 15 yo cylinder for brand spanking new ones with a Blue Rhino wrapper on em. Refilled both many times.

Someone is suggesting the BR takes off the valves and replaces them with a different one. They may have at one time but not locally.
    That would mean the other exchange places would have to take off the BR valve and replace!!

I'll be doing an exchange again once my 12 yrs are up.

The wrapper causes condensation and rust
    http://www.propane101.com/propanecylindersleeves.htm

Without the wrapper, no one knows where they were last filled [;)]

20. zorak

zorak Member

I have to agree about blue rhino not using a proprietary valve. I have steered clear of BR because of what i had been told. Then we ran out of gas one day and i sent my stepson to get 2 tanks filled. He came home with 2 BR tanks as the stations pump was down. I was mad, but used them anyway. Wnen i had both empty i peeled off the label and carried them to my normal station( flying J) and they filled them no problem, and have done so many times. When one went out of date i saw walmart had a deal to get a $25 gift card if you buy a filled tank. Went to the cage and picked out a new BR with a 2014 mfg date. I have also had that one refilled as well. I am sure there is something to the blue rhino refill issue, but i have yet to encounter it for myself.