Old way of camping vs new way of camping

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by tjcamp, Oct 28, 2011.

1. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

Old way
    [​IMG]

New way
    [​IMG]
    That was the "full bed" side, we had company stay in camper, gave them the "queen bed" side.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

...and the first time you camp in the rain and look outside to see the water running under the POP you will be very glad you are not camping the old way!

3. freenaz

freenaz Member

New way is much better I think. I always hated getting up off the ground.

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

very interesting!

5. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

This was not meant to demean tent camping, we had our fun with that, but those days are so over for me. I just wanted to share the change we made this year 'cause I'm so excited about it. It's a big step for us, and it means we'll be planning more camping trips now that we've made the investment in a camper vs tent. My hubby's & mine 1st year we went camping 1x, the next, none, this year we camped 2x in tent, decided to get a camper. We have only camped in it the 1x so far because of the season here, we are still hoping to squeeze in 1 more in a couple weeks. Next year there will be.....MORE CAMPING !!!!!!!!! YAy!!!

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Using a camper is so different than a tent. Obviously more comfortable in so many ways. The downside is the ongoing maintenance, maybe storage issues, or maybe even a necessary TV upgrade. But overall it's a nicer experience if you've got the right PUP.

7. jeffanddeb

jeffanddeb New Member

I agree with Ghacker, once you go pup there is no going back. I only wish we had done it sooner [;)]

8. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

Camped the old way for years then as I got older it seemed every rock, stick and twig would sneak under my tent every night. I would remove them every morning but they would come back.

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Personally, I think it's those pesky squirrels. [LOL]

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

They are insidious little devils!

11. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

I have no problem with the tent but the AC in the summer, heat in the winter, elevation from ground in the rain wins my vote! [PU] [TV]

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Both look quite cozy, but pic #2 indescribably more comfortable. I ♥ my PUP.

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We tented for about 20 summers before we got our Pup. As I got older, it became increasingly difficult to crawl out of bed in the morning and stand all the way up. But I think the thing I struggled with most was getting up at 3am. (or whenever) to dig trenches in the rain. This always seemed to happen in the middle of the night. I love hearing the rain on the tarps or Pup, but I hate always digging those trenches in the dark. When you only get 1 week off per summer to try and relax, its tough to get up every second night and dig. Now I can just lay back and enjoy the sound.

14. Seleph

Seleph New Member

We really enjoyed tent camping, but our indoor furbaby is a "camper" dog for certain. I enjoyed listening to the rain on the canvas this morning, and the heater was a blessing when it hit the freezing point Friday night. My brother likes to tease me tons about it not being camping, but jumped at the chance for he and his wife to join us for a weekend.

15. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Never give away your "fat" pants. You might need them some day.

Phoodieman

16. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

That is the first tent I've seen that had a doggy door!

17. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

I volunteered to be a unit leader for my daughters' American Heritage Girls troop. They only tent camp. So far, just one cold night on the ground in my little tent. It made my PUP seem like a 4 seasons resort by comparison.

18. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

tjcamp..we too have gone from tent camping to a pup in the last year....so prefer the "new" way of camping...glamping, I like to refer to it...glamorous camping!..nothing like it!....being able to cook inside..fresh coffee brewing inside, hot chocolate on the hot plate..ice cold beer readily available in the fridge..could never go back to the "old" way of camping...it was fun at the time, but no looking back now!! [PU]

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The Coleman tent we bought on one trip, when a micro-burst destroyed our older tent, had something like that doggy door - it was the only thing we could figure it was meant to be. That was the tent which was less than water-resistant after a week of camping, we were not impressed with it and would not even donate it to the kids - it would have been a great way to discourage tenting! (We have been spoiled by having good quality tents & Therm-a-rest sleeping pads, and still use them for trips which are suitable.)

20. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Oh yea Doggie Doors are big in the Tent department now, about 4 years ago saw the 1st one and now it seems they are on quite a few [8D]