Oldest camper I have seen so far (historic)

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by Anthony Hitchings, May 11, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

At the Cole Land Transportation Museum in Bangor, Maine, a pre-WW2 pop-up - canvas sides, but reminiscent of an A-frame. The museum is very worthwhile to visit (even my wife thinks so). Built on an army surplus trailer. You can see part of the chain-pulley-pipe mechanism, to raise the roof as the beds were lowered

Attached Files:

Ruby Jean, BillyMc, roybraddy and 4 others like this.
  2. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

I've seen some like that, or similar. I'm always amazed at what people will bring to be able to camp. More power to them! In fact, I feel better camping next to the tenters and more humble rigs than I do wedged between two monster fifth wheel rigs that block the sunlight and take out a small tree or two backing in. But I digress.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Very cool - thanks for sharing!

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Very neat. Wonder what the set up time is.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We were wedged between two monster rigs, a couple of weeks ago, at Daytona Beach. It worked to our benefit. Bad storm came through that night, wind, lightning, sideways rain, and we were just as steady as could be. The rigs absorbed all the abuse from nature for us.