Ole Bull State Park - Potter County, PA

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by themanfromvan, Jun 21, 2013.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

My family and I returned last Tuesday afternoon from 5 days/4 nights at Ole Bull State Park, which is south of Galeton, Potter County, PA. Beautiful park. Highly recommended. Just be prepared to deal with bears !! Pictures.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jdubois

jdubois New Member

Sounds/looks like a nice park. Great pics too. Thanks for sharing!

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Great photos! So what did the bears do? Did they come close or did you see them in the distance?

4. themanfromvan

The bears were too acclimated to people, in my opinion. People are warned not to feed them or bait them in, but they do it anyway. All the ones I saw were easily scared off by banging on our coffee pot or frying pan with a wooden spoon. The bear shown in these photos I've shared was about 50 yards from our camper. After I got his picture - I chased him/her off with a saucepan/coffee pot and a whistle.

Here's a funny little bear related story. We left the campground on Sunday afternoon for a while and when we came back, there was a tent set up right across from us and right in front of the patch of skunk cabbage where these bear bed down. The guy camped there hollered over, apologizing for reserving a site so close to us, as the campground was basically empty at that point. I told him he may want to consider moving OUT of that site and getting across the road CLOSER to us and told him about the bears. He insisted that there were NO bears anywhere in this area. I begged to differ as I had seen at least 6 of them at that point. I said, "Okay, buddy..... believe what you want but there are bear right behind you."

So.... about 1:30 AM Monday, I wake up and I have to pee. I didn't want to get out of a warm bed, climb over my wife and son, so I laid there - staring at the canvas - hoping my calling would go away. It didn't - so I got up, verified there were no critters outside my camper - then found a "friendly tree" about 50 feet away. While I was walking back to the PUP, I saw over in this guy's site that his tent was illuminated by lanterns or flashlights or something. Then, I look and see the dome light was on in his car. THEN, I look closer and see he is sitting in the car. I kind of rolled my eyes and went back to bed.

Well.... I guess I waited to long too do my duty the first time that I didn't get myself emptied out because at 2:30 AM, I woke up again. This time I got up immediately and went out. Peeked around..... no bear or skunks..... went back to my tree. This time I look over and what do I see? NOTHING !!!! Tent was gone !! Car was gone !! No sign of anyone. I kept the guy's post hanger with his reservation information and was gonna see if I could find him via Facebook, Twitter or a web search to see if he still believed that no bears called this place home. [:D] [:D] All in all - it was a fun trip. You just have to be diligent about cleaning up any dropped food and lock your cooler in your car at night. I'm already planning on going back next year !!

5. themanfromvan

More pictures..............

https://picasaweb.google.com/100767327685219249510/OleBullStateParkJune2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCJmI-rLsvKTxXg

6. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Great story! I love seeing wild life, but from a respectful distance.

7. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

GREAT photo spread of your outing. Thanks for keeping my camping desire fire warm