On Recreation.gov what is standard non-electric mean?

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by oldmopars, Jul 24, 2012.

1. oldmopars

oldmopars New Member

I have not been to many camp sites that are not full hook up sites and I am interested in camping soon. The site lists standard non-electric, what is this? Are there any hook-ups? Or is this dry camping in a state park? This will not be a problem, but need to know before I book so I can prepare and pack.
    Thanks

2. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

That is a "dry" camping site no water, no electric, just a pad a fire pit and table. [:D] We camp in a National Forest on those sites all the time. Nice and quiet except for those running generators but that is usually just for folks with TT to take showers and stuff.

3. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Most national park sites are standard non-electric; only a small number of parks have any hookups. Most USFS sites don't have hookups either.

4. oldmopars

oldmopars New Member

Ok. This helps me to know how to pack. I can use a weekend being unplugged. A good book, card games and a pot of coffee.

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

(I keep posting my favorite campsites over and over!)

Here's what they are talking about .... no electric, central water spigot right where you drop your rent payment down a steel shaft and one out house (men & women each - at least they are flush!). Now the good thing is you cannot see the sites on either side or the one across the road. Who in the world would want to have all the "frills" and be crammed in side to side and back to front. (Not I said the flyfisherman)

p.s. There's a little mountain creek at the rear of this site with ice cold water. Been known to keep a few drinks there (use an old timey milk crate), even a little melon or two ... but better remove those after dark as they will become some critter's snack! AND .... there's some tasty little brook trout, just the right eating size, that dwell in the little stream as well.

[​IMG]

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Of further note (I think the hookup issue has been covered)...a "standard" site is one that is not necessarily specific to either a tent or an RV...it is, well, "standard" and can generally accommodate either (though I've seen ones that I would be hard pressed to get a camper into and others that I would be hard pressed to find a flat spot for the tent) .

As has been noted, you will generally see this with NPs and NFS CGs and many SPs as well. Most federal CGs don't have RV specific sites (due to most do not have hookups) but may have designated tent only sites...so if you're in an RV, you have to take a "standard"