On the road - setting PUP at a rest area?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Camper054, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi all,

Not that I am planning to, and I know if needed I can find plenty of camping sites along the highways. But, is it okay to set up the camper at a rest area? Or, does different state have different rules? Being able to do this on a long trip could save little time and money, I am thinking. Has anyone done this, and got away or got into trouble :)?

Just curious...thanks all-
    MC

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I don't remember ever seeing this... I have been tempted to do this at a WALMART PARKING lot a couple of times but never did...

That's probably the difference from parking and camping haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I wouldn't setup ...... too many crazies out there. But I would just sleep in the car. Some rest areas are so noisy with the diesel trucks running all night.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Most Interstate rest areas have signs posted that say NO CAMPING / NO OVERNIGHT PARKING.

A lot of times you can get away with the second part but setting up your camper would bring all types of visitors, officials and others.

nineoaks2004, kcsa75, BillyMc and 2 others like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I know the rest areas near me essentially say no camping. Now I have slept in the car while at a rest stop and never again. Way way too noisy and bright. If for an hour maybe but sure won't do an overnight again. Not to mention scary. Even though some Walmarts allow overnight parking they do not allow you to "setup". Parking a TT and sleeping overnight is fine but no camp chairs no pull outs, no setup of any kind. Sadly because this was abused and the number of homeless living in cars my Walmart put a stop to overnight parking.

6. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

The Kansas welcome center rest area on the Colorado border let's you camp for one night. Including tents. I called and asked a few weeks ago because we are planning a trip and I saw on freecampsites.net that they do and they confirmed it.

kcsa75 and Camper054 like this.
  7. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thanks all...

It seems like one should not 'camp' at a rest area. I did a search and except for few, most states do not allow camping at the rest areas and I am also surprised to find out that some states have a limit on how many hours one can stay at a rest area!

Found a couple of sites with info:
    https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/rest-stops.html
    http://www.rvhive.com/rest-areas-is-it-legal-to-park-overnight-in-an-rv/
    http://rvlife.com/overnight-parking-at-rest-areas/
    https://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking-rules/

Better to be safe than sorry, so I will find a nearby campground on a long road trip, unless, it is too late and 'too far away' from the exit when and if I need to stop overnight for a good night sleep :).

Best wishes to you all-
    MC

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    nineoaks2004 likes this.
  8. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

At a lot of the busier ones the "long parking lanes" should be reserved for the Truckers, as I much rather would like them better rested if I am going to share the road with them.

9. Econ

Econ Active Member

Do you really think a state employee is going to tell a tired, sleepy eyed person they have to move along, it's against the rules?

Camper054 likes this.
  10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

I’ve decided after our 5000 mile trip to Maine from Texas this summer that a popup is not practical for popping up and taking down every day. We did do a few of those but found staying in a hotel for the night got us back on the road early without taking down the camper. Popups are designed to setup and stay awhile, but not for daily setups and tear downs.

1380ken and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I don't find that far fetched at all. I can easily see a trooper banging on your Pup at 3 a.m. to tell you to move on.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This gets asked a lot. From everything I've heard, most people don't have a problem as long as they keep set up to a minimum. Popups are a bit difficult for this because you usually have to move things out of the camper in order to get inside (e.g., storage bins, etc., that are stored on the floor when traveling), and you have a fairly extensive set up with the bunk ends.

For other campers, most law enforcement will let you sleep at a rest stop rather than drive tired. You can even bring out a slide, etc. - just don't put out chairs, barbeques, etc. And be ready to go first thing in the morning.

Camper054 likes this.
  13. Econ

Econ Active Member

I just think different. I would rather a marginal driver stay off the road and sleep a little

14. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Agreed, one wouldn't want to take a truck lane away from a trucker who needs well deserved rest. Then again, from my experience I have not seen a rest stop where all truck rest lanes are full (but I am sure there are)...

As for being tired and needing a rest, I am sure state troopers or other law enforcement folks would be okay, if we do not make a mess of the place and keep it at a minimum set up, and of course, ask nicely that I need to get a couple of hours of 'good sleep' and would be moving along :). Specially, if there is a back up on the highway that makes us late getting to a campsite that initially planned for :).

Thanks all!

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Yes

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I wouldn't risk it. When the rules say no camping, popping up a popup is an attraction for bored law enforcement in middle of the night. Do you want to have to go back to that state for a Court date, really? I've been pulled over in small towns a couple times for DWOS-- Driving with out of state plate--and it's not a pleasant experience. Just changing lanes to go to an open fast food place late at night once, got me read the riot act one time at 11PM, from an ego-laden local cop. Wasn't speeding or anything. He asked if I was drinking, blah blah-- which I never do on any trip; yelled "you can't drive that way around here" etc. I figure he was bored and hardly anyone on the road. No ticket once I mentioned I had family in the area, but I hate being yelled at late anytime. I will pull over and sleep in the car if sleepy, never would setup a popup outside of legal camping.

kcsa75 likes this.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Rest areas are for resting. "no camping or overnight stays" means that you can get some sleep but it isn't a place to stay outside of sleeping.

If you stop at 4 pm and leave at 8 am, you're overnighting. If you stop at 11 pm and leave at 6 am, you're resting. Use common sense.

If you have time to fix a nice dinner, eat, relax, and then go to bed OR go to bed, wake up, fix a hot breakfast, then head out, you are overnighting or camping.

If you park, go to sleep, wake up and leave, you are resting.

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Just like anything else. If they allowed people to camp overnight, a few people would take advantage and ruin it for everyone else.

xxxapache likes this.
  19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. But as others have mentioned, that doesn't mean some "consecience" cop wouldn't leave common sense by the side of the road in the name of enforcing the law.

20. davekro

davekro Active Member

On our 10' box pup, I could see possibly 'just' sliding out the front bunk 2-3'. Enough to enter thru the door, move the box that travels in the doorway (w/ leveling devices & cranks) on top of the (not slid out) rear bunk and lower the door's top half down into place. Slide under the covers w/ heads towards center of pup and feet to front of trailer. Could tie a rope to hold the bunk end roof support up away from your heads. It would literally look like it does when you first raise it up, just with 2-3' protruding towards the still connected TV.

I don't know if I'd ever have the need to do this. But when I set up camp this Friday camping I'm gonna play with this idea just to see what it looks like! (Hope I remember AND DW lets me!)

I get a kick out of cutting corners and even getting away with stuff outside the box... My wife, not so much. LOL

If I remember to do this, I'll report back.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 12:50 PM
    Camper054 likes this.