On the road - setting PUP at a rest area?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Camper054, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi all,

Not that I am planning to, and I know if needed I can find plenty of camping sites along the highways. But, is it okay to set up the camper at a rest area? Or, does different state have different rules? Being able to do this on a long trip could save little time and money, I am thinking. Has anyone done this, and got away or got into trouble :)?

Just curious...thanks all-
    MC

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I don't remember ever seeing this... I have been tempted to do this at a WALMART PARKING lot a couple of times but never did...

That's probably the difference from parking and camping haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I wouldn't setup ...... too many crazies out there. But I would just sleep in the car. Some rest areas are so noisy with the diesel trucks running all night.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Most Interstate rest areas have signs posted that say NO CAMPING / NO OVERNIGHT PARKING.

A lot of times you can get away with the second part but setting up your camper would bring all types of visitors, officials and others.

Tom Jordan and xxxapache like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I know the rest areas near me essentially say no camping. Now I have slept in the car while at a rest stop and never again. Way way too noisy and bright. If for an hour maybe but sure won't do an overnight again. Not to mention scary. Even though some Walmarts allow overnight parking they do not allow you to "setup". Parking a TT and sleeping overnight is fine but no camp chairs no pull outs, no setup of any kind. Sadly because this was abused and the number of homeless living in cars my Walmart put a stop to overnight parking.

6. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

The Kansas welcome center rest area on the Colorado border let's you camp for one night. Including tents. I called and asked a few weeks ago because we are planning a trip and I saw on freecampsites.net that they do and they confirmed it.

Camper054 likes this.
  7. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thanks all...

It seems like one should not 'camp' at a rest area. I did a search and except for few, most states do not allow camping at the rest areas and I am also surprised to find out that some states have a limit on how many hours one can stay at a rest area!

Found a couple of sites with info:
    https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/rest-stops.html
    http://www.rvhive.com/rest-areas-is-it-legal-to-park-overnight-in-an-rv/
    http://rvlife.com/overnight-parking-at-rest-areas/
    https://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking-rules/

Better to be safe than sorry, so I will find a nearby campground on a long road trip, unless, it is too late and 'too far away' from the exit when and if I need to stop overnight for a good night sleep :).

Best wishes to you all-
    MC

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019