Once again, It's getting dark!

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Wrenchgear, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I quote Rik Emmett of Triumph, every year on this day, "The days grow shorter, and the nights are getting long, feels like we're running out of time", the classic opening line of 'Fight the good Fight'. Setting the clocks back again today, seems it'll be dark at about 1:30 in the afternoon. I hate this time of year for this.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I also hate the time change.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Should stay on DST all year..

Also don't forget to check the batteries in those smoke and monoxide detectors along with their expirery dates..

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I like regular time cause I walk the dogs at 6:30 AM and this AM it will be getting light.:D But I hate it changing and wish they could just settle for one time and leave it.
    No need to check batteries, but I will push the magic buttons and manually test my smoke/Caron Monoxide detectors and stare at them for a few seconds to see that the green lights are lit vs. red lights.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Fless likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't like the short days, no matter what the clock says. I hate the time change. We're in the forgotten (Mountain) time zone. AZ doesn't change, so for part of the year we are the same time as they are, an hour later the rest of it. Doesn't really have an effect on camping, since we don't pay much attention to the clock then, but it does for calling friends there.
    There was a proposal to leave NM on DST all year - I'm not clear why leaving it on DST would be better than just leaving it on standard time - it's dark one end of the school/work day or the other.

Fless likes this.
  6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Before DST ended, I went in to work in complete darkness. Now that DST has ended, I get to go in to work in complete darkness.

DST seems pointless from my perspective. The only thing I will notice is that it is darker when I take the dog to the dog park after work.

But for those of us in the club of "up before 5am" (it's a lonely club) DST matters not.

Fless likes this.
  7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

+1 on what generok says.....it's dark when I go to work either way...

8. Wrenchgear

I agree, it should stay one way or the other all year long. I'm not much of a morning person, but get up before 6 AM pretty much everyday, (groan). I don't think the extra hour in the morning ever does anything for me. I would rather have the extra hour around supper time when coming home from work. You would get used to which ever way it stayed if they didn't keep flipping it around all the time, but I vote for DST. I'm not a shift worker like so many others, but for me staying on DST all the time would be better.

9. Fless

Fless Active Member

I'm all for staying on Standard Time, with no change to DST. There was a bill introduced in the 2017 Colorado State session to exempt Colorado from DST, but it didn't get through. Maybe next year...
    _

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The idea behind the change was good in it's time period, but is not really needed this day and time, I cannot think of a single person that is for the changes and all consider it a pain in the butt.

11. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I hate the change. It’s always right before deer rifle season. Got to get up earlier to get in the woods before sunrise.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

On Standard Eastern Time, I get up for work it's dark, I leave work and drive home, It's dark.. At least on DST I see daylight on the way home ..

13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

23130536_531189267257560_8145594642404463002_n.jpg

14. Wrenchgear

I thought you were in the dark all the time :)

On a different note, have you ever seen Rik Emmett, or Triumph live? I went to a cousin's wedding once about 20 years ago where Rik's brother Russel was there. We hung around at the reception for half the night, he was a pretty cool guy. We saw Rik a couple of years ago in Kitchener, just by himself on stage, he put on a great show. He played a big variety of stuff, Triumph (obviously), Zepplin, some Blues and 60's stuff, and tons more. Fantastic stuff.