One drain to rule them all!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Old ackpacker, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:45 PM.

1. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

My Viking 2460 has the combination shower and cassette toilet (aka “shoilet”) on the front and the sink on the back. Of course the drains are not together on the same side. And they are different sizes. The sink drain is a garden hose fitting and the shower drain is 1.5 inch PVC with a screw on cap to cover it.

Not only that but dumping the gray water jug a couple of times a day is a pain and the big gray water totes are pricey. So the challenge was to figure out an inexpensive way To tie the two drains of different sizes on opposite sides of the pup together so that they could drain into a sewer hook up at the campground.

Below is my solution.

First, because the shower drain exits at an angle I needed a way to get a section of PVC to run under the pup and come out near the sink drain in the back. I found this at Lowe’s and it did the trick

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Road-Home-1-1-4-in-dia-ABS-P-trap-Fitting/1002620080

377E6BFC-B8A8-4F7A-995C-6CEA7AAAB118.jpeg

I glued in a section of 1.5 inch PVC that ended just shy of the frame on the backside and glued on a female fitting so I could cap it off.

2DF65B3B-57E3-47B1-8B70-C9EE7DF3BD55.jpeg

This kept everything nicely tucked away when we’re on the road. Notice the plastic hanging strap. I put a bit of a slope so the water will drain properly and it gives a little flexibility/sway room to deflect any road objects that come its way.

Then I made a screw in adapter that flairs out to accept a standard sewer hose. I bought the hose kit fittings and glued it in to a 3 inch piece of PVC. (Take the fitting with you when you buy the material to make sure it fits properly. The sewer hose fitting will be a little loose, but not sloppy and glues in fine).

I screwed the adapter in place and marked the top to put in the plastic male garden hose end (cut the barb end down with a hacksaw) and cemented it in place. The finished adapter looks like this.

C837E121-356B-42C3-AA3B-73F9871C4872.jpeg

Here’s what it looks like all put together and in use. I bought a dishwasher drain hose and cut it down to connect the sink drain to the system.

1D3337BC-4196-4128-B64D-8D14E08D2FCF.jpeg

It works like a champ and I like being able to use the shower and not have to drain the gray water jug anymore! Total cost @ $30.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I know who designed these things! Lol. I did the same when i had mine with a flexable pool hose. Your looks good. The shower is nice if you have kids, and now with covid. You will like it i did. Next will be the people asking why a pop up needs a full hook up site! [:D]

Old ackpacker likes this.
  3. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

Because it’s there! :-D (and I’m getting old and decrepit and don’t like lugging jugs/tanks full of dirty water all over the place to dump it)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:56 AM
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I used to get the super premium sites with my pup in the resort campgrounds, so closer to the pool for my kido. I would be parked in between giant rvs, and they all gave us the stink eye for taking the full hook ups sites. They couldn't belive, i had a shower, toilet and sink in my old pup. You'll like it, especially the part where you dont need to conserve water. So, clean dishes, not just quick washed. [:D]

Camper054 and Old ackpacker like this.
  5. 911Boulder

911Boulder Member

VERY cool idea!!! Top notch man!!!

Old ackpacker likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I thought about doing something similar. However, on mine the shower has a dedicated 20gal gray tank, and the dump valve is on the same side as the sink drain, but on different ends of the camper. I also figured out I really didn’t use the shower, so I gave up on trying to come up with a solution. Nice work though.