One long trip, three dead tires. Inner Tube Quesion

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by ErikRuud, Jul 7, 2014.

1. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

I'll keep this as short as possible.

Let me start by stating that I never exceed 60 mph, always check the tire pressure and keep it at the 75 PSI, and all the tires were less that 4 years old. I am reasonably sure that I am not overloading the tires. I keep the heavier stuff in the tow vehicle and in a cargo pod on the tow vehicle.

Took my family on a 3,380 mile trip down to Corpus Christi, Texas and back through six different states.

We started out by spending two nights at a hotel in Dubuque, Ia for my Aunt and Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. About an hour out from Dubuque on the third day a passing car waved us down and told us our tire was going flat. We pulled off into a parking lot and found that the tread on the driver side tire had separated all the way around the tire. The tire was still fully inflated. This was a Carlisle USA Trail. I put the spare tire, another USA Trail, on and we continued on our way.

The next day we found a tire shop near Lawrence Kansas and had them mount a new tire on the rim. It was a Nanco tire.

The rest of our trip went just fine all the way to Corpus Christi, Crater of Diamonds, and then Meramec State Park near St. Louis.

We left Meramec to head over to Cahokia Mounds and then home. We were on the road for about 45 miles when there was a really loud bang and pieces of tire flying everywhere. I pulled off the highway and into the parking lot of the Route 66 State Park. The people there were really helpful.

We put the new Nanco tire on. I checked the pressure and it was only 55 PSI. The sate park had a garage right there and they let me use their compressor to pump the tire up to 75 PSI. We got back on the interstate and were trying to decide whether to head straight home or still stop at Cahokia when I felt a vibration. I looked in the mirror and saw the trailer start bouncing and then the tire went flat. Before I could get over to the shoulder the tire had wrapped around the axle and locked the rim. The rim started grinding on the pavement throwing sparks. The BRAND NEW spare tire had lasted 3.5 miles.

I pulled as far off the shoulder as I could and we called AAA because I wasn't going to make it to the next exit with the rim grinding away.

The AAA people were really helpful as well, making several calls to try and locate a new tire and rim. No one had the correct rim and only one place had a tire. We wound up going to a U-Haul place to get a cargo trailer to bring the contents of the pop-up home until I could get new tires and go back for it.

At the U-Haul place, I found that the new Nanco spare had been mounted using an inner-tube even though it is a tubeless tire on a tubeless rim. Looking at what is left of the inner tube it is obvious that that the valve stem is designed to stick straight up through the rim, just like on a bicycle or motorcycle rim, not at the the angle that the valve stem hole is on a trailer rim.

I am pretty sure that as soon as we got moving and the tire started flexing, the inner tube shifted and that caused the rim to cut into the valve stem.

As far as I can tell from this site and others, putting an inner tube in a tubeless tire is not a good idea. What do you think?

I have some pictures I can post as soon as I get them onto Flickr.

2. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

3. Heady

Heady Active Member

Ouch, glad to hear the damage was limited to the tires. At least everyone is safe and looking at the glass half-full you now have a story to tell. :)

4. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

Actually, the sheet metal wheel was torn up when the second tire blew.

I went back down to Missouri on Saturday with two new tires and rims. I pulled the whole wheel well out, so that it could fall and cut my new tire. Ill have to find a way to replace it before I take the camper on the road again.

This is what it looks like inside my front dinette seat.
    [​IMG]20140706_100416 by erik_d_ruud, on Flickr

I just got off the phone with the tire shop in Kansas a few minutes ago. They are refunding me the cost of the tire they sold me.

5. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I would tell them you are going to make them pay for damages as well for negligence. Why on earth would a tube be placed in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Glad everyone is ok. That is some bad luck!

I wonder why they put a tube in that tire. I would be curious to hear from a tire person on here what they think. I have put tubes in lawn mowers and snow blowers that have tubeless tires after repeated flats that have held up for years but those are low speed low psi tires.

7. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

Here is the explanation I got from the shop owner.

First, he claims he didn't know that the tech put in an inner tube because it is not on the sales receipt.

He says the reason they do it some times is because it is often the only way they can air up the small tires. When the get them they are wrapped in plastic which pushes the side wall beads together. The tires won't relax enough to seat the beads properly in the rim so they use an inner tube.

At this point in my PopUp life, I have purchased six tires. This is the only time that I have heard of anyone not being able to air up the tire.

It sounds like a lazy solution to me.

8. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Wow! That's some bad tire luck. Very glad everyone is OK.

Is that the recommended pressure for your tires?

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Mine is 50 PSI max... 75?????

10. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

Same here.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Proper pressure is specified on the sidewall of the tire. Inflate to that pressure -- not more, not less.

12. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

My tires are supposed to be at 80 PSI cold. I assumed (yeah, I know) that was standard for this sized/type of tire.

13. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

Yes. It says so right on the tire.

You can just make it out if you zoom in on the picture.

[​IMG]7-7-2014 2-46-46 PM by erik_d_ruud, on Flickr

75 PSI in a 5.70x8 Load Range C tire.

It's 100 PSI in a 5.70x8 Load Range D tire. [:O]

14. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Crappy shop. There are two tools that will help a proper shop. One is a tire stretcher. The other is a cheetah. Between the two a tire can be safely mounted without a tube. I do a lot of tires on my own with my cheap harbor freight tire machine. Motorcycle tires, trailer tires, quad tires etc. pretty sad they don't have that knowledge.

15. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I have lived by two rules. I started working on cars when I purchased my first one, just before I'd graduated high school. I'd been saving money to buy a car for as long as I could remember, I'd even gotten a job the year before I graduated. I purchased a 1971 Corvette Stingray Convertible. I met a mechanic, and he TAUGHT me how to rebuild brakes. I've never EVER let anyone work on my brakes, not on ANY vehicle I've owned. That same mechanic also worked for Firestone Tire & Auto. he taught me that cheap tires are exactly that, CHEAP. So my two rules, never buy cheap tires and never let anyone work on your brakes. Of course one would have to learn about brakes, but stick with reputable tire brands, and stick with the same shop for all your tires. Even if they don't have your particular sized tire in stock, they can usually get one. Also, make sure to always check the date of manufacture on the tires, and NEVER buy anything too old. Tires are chemical products, and as such degrade, no matter what preservative additives are formulated in the mix. NEVER use Armor All on tires. Armor All is a chemical product too, and it just makes the tire look good as the tire ages. Remember, a tire is never as good as it looks with Armor All. Use a mild soap and water solution to clean the brake dust off them. Be sure to look up on the web how to check the date on a tire, and buy fresh ones. Never keep a tire if it is over 5 years old, 6 years old for sure. Again, they break down. Glad you're all okay.

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Never mounted a tire that I could not air up, one way or the other with either being the last resort,,,,without a tube. Someone telling you one,,,, And some tire shop needs to contact their insurance company to start a damage claim as you have one

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I wouldnt let them off too easy, they screwed up and they know it. You are not going to become rich but at least they should cover the damage to the camper and the AAA deductible IF their tire was the one that caused the damage, it is not clear to me from your account.
    Which tire was the one that blew up second, the spare or the original that was left?

Good luck!

18. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

The new spare was the one that tore up the wheel well.

There is no AAA deductible.

19. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Ok, I had road assistance long time ago and I knew I only had so many miles a year and if i were to go over that then I had to pay the overage. If it were like that I would try to recuperate that money so as not to use up part of the AAA insurance/mileage. Anyway, if your is unlimited then you have nothing to worry on that other than the damage to the wheel well.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

20. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

The first 100 miles of towing are free.

In this case it was cheaper to leave it in Missouri until I could locate new tires.

I went back on July 5th with new tires from my favorite tire shop and brought it back home with no issues.