One reason NOT to Bumper tow

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Wow. Very lucky that the trailer came to a peaceful rest, rather than heading off to the oncoming traffic. It looks like the trailer damage was minimal. That could have ended much worse.

The TV probably could still have a real hitch installed on it, but the bumper would still need to be fixed to pass inspection in many states.

yetavon

everything is better around a campfire.
Mar 11, 2010
Western NC
Very lucky for the head on traffic.....I noticed the 2nd passing was also towing a Pup.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Wow that could have been very scary. Thankfully the trailer calmly came to a rest but can't help but wonder where they attached the safety chains. I've seen ford bumpers bend under weight never off though. I always wondered how the bumper hitches would be strong enough, guess I got my answer.

penguin

Sep 16, 2014
I haven't trusted bumper hitches since the 70's. These newer bumpers are made of very flimsy metal and plastic which are not capable of supporting much weight let alone the tugging and pushing on them.

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
I don't think the bumper was a good choice, but rust appears to be the main culprit here. Look at the mounting brackets on the bumper.

adrianpglover

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2014
Texas
From the little bit that I've seen of the hitches that mount under the bumper to the frame, it looks like he lost the mounting points for a normal hitch anyways.

Of course, a little JB weld or epoxy putty and you're back on the road in about an hour or so.

skeetercampsintexas

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2012
Wylie, Texas
I'm with fallsrider....looks like the frame was very rusted. Lucky for us here in texas, unless you're near the coast, we don't get rusted out vehicles too often.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
I know a pair of twins that have trucks that are the same, but one likes to fish and tows a boat. His bumper is completely rusted thru because of backing into the water, his brother's is almost perfect.

But on a serious note, the hitch/bumper/frame what ever so be inspected regularly to be should it is up to the job.

jamb046

Jul 23, 2013
Garland, TX
So glad no one was hurt. No matter how you have the pup attached there may be problems. We should all use this as a reminder to check underneath the TV before every trip.

Ken1967

Can't wait to Camp!
Apr 9, 2010
Wow! lucky no one was hurt! My folks had their PUP come off once and drive right off the road into the swamp. It was a total loss and they did not have any insurance. :(

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
jamb046 said:
So glad no one was hurt. No matter how you have the pup attached there may be problems. We should all use this as a reminder to check underneath the TV before every trip.
I can see this being a good idea as an annual inspection in the spring. But I doubt very many people are willing to crawl under their TV before every trip. I know I'm not.

Your point is well noted, though. I doubt most vehicles ever get inspected underneath.

Yak

Super Active Member
Apr 18, 2009
fallsrider said:
I can see this being a good idea as an annual inspection in the spring. But I doubt very many people are willing to crawl under their TV before every trip. I know I'm not.

Your point is well noted, though. I doubt most vehicles ever get inspected underneath.

I put mine up on the lift for a full check out before every trip

94-D2

Happy Campin'
May 21, 2010
Sutter Creek CA
Bumper hitch is usually class 1 or 2. Bumper and brackets held up great. The end of the frame failed. Looks like they are going to have a problem with the spring mounts too. Wonder if that truck spent most of its life on salted road. You would think the body panels would rot out first.

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
fallsrider said:
I don't think the bumper was a good choice, but rust appears to be the main culprit here. Look at the mounting brackets on the bumper.

I think the main culprit was driving! [:D]