One reason NOT to Bumper tow

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by smokey41, Nov 5, 2014.

1. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Off topic but found this when I went to the bumper vid.

http://youtu.be/EIHrzcrB_3E

Too funny. Reminds me of how to catch monkeys. Put a banana in a hole and they get stuck when they reach in and grab it and don't know enough to let go.

2. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

i hate it when i have those type of days! [:(!]

3. Up the Mountain

Up the Mountain Member

I have seen several rusted and torn receivers this summer...fortunately with nothing attached at the moment.

4. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my first attempt to back the trailer up my L driveway and into the garage. I wasn't quite that bad, but I didn't find myself having to do a U turn.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

This is a little off topic, but probably just as important.

We have a 2002 Ford F150, the hitch is fine, but please check you rear leaf shackles!!!!

My son came home and said "Dad, one side of the truck in the rear is lower than the other side?"

I looked and sure enough the drivers side rear shackles was really rusted and broke. We were lucky that the leaf spring did not go through the bed of the truck like my BIL F150 of the same year

Now, I knew they were a little rusted, but never did I think it would snap!!

Now the interesting thing is that the local Ford dealers around here all stock replacement shackles!!! Hmmm, you would think they know something!!!

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

All my vehicles get a look under every 6-10K miles when I rotate the tires. Its a PITA but worth the effort.
    This thread got attention with another thread about "Northern" Vehicles, But keep in mind, some southern states use salt on the roads, and (as my thought about the original video) Salt water from loading a boat or running the beach area. I just worked on a Jeep that the hitch receiver was rusted in bad enough that jerking with a tractor would not break it loose.....

7. ghri49

ghri49 Member

As bad as that was the outcome was as good as your going to get. Rust does seem to be the biggest problem but still don't like bumper puLling.

8. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Well it is quiet clear that he know the bumper was failing. I don't know why he did not stop before it completely broke off? Unless it started to fail where he could not pull off....? At this point he just needs to flag someone down to hook up too and get it off the mountain. he was going very slow when it broke off, but he was still very lucky.

A real hitch, to the frame, would have helped some. A frame hitch mounts on the frame just ahead of the bumper. Even so half of the hitch may have been on the truck and half on the sections that broke off. Time to get a new truck! Sucks!!

Rust...never sleeps!

FL Bill

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was a narrow road with no sholder and a guard rail right up against the road... guessing he was hoping to find a place to more safely pull off.

But if you've ever seen other "runaway trailer" videos, they don't typically behave like this one. I wonder if it had trailer brakes which helped it do what it did? Typically they go crazy and sometimes even pass the TV.

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

This is a time you need duct tape???? [:D]

11. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

Man I wish I had a dime for every bumper that I lost, while towing!

I know my old S-10 (I know this video is a Ford Ranger), had a class II rear bumper. And YES, I bought a PUP while on vacation about 500 miles from home. (From an individual), and I did pull the PUP home with my bumper. I also mounted a frame receiver after I returned home. WOW, guess I got lucky and my bumper held up fine.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I can't believe the guy was that stupid. I don't fault someone for ending up in a dead end like that. Clearly there was an alley or something because he nosed the truck in there before the jack knife incident, he was on the opposite side of the street and could have put the trailer in there backwards instead of the truck forward. Barring that option he was already 3/4 the way out when he drove into the alley! Painful to watch.

13. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Must be a Jersey thing, we don't see anything that new needing them

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

No one was hurt? I bet that driver's back gave away trying to lift the tongue....