One thing I didn’t consider when making the leap

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by emoney, Sep 7, 2018.

1. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I agree with the flush valve. Leaving the campground last Sunday 2 of the 3 dump stations were being used for the "last trip of the year, sorry" extensive cleanout.

2. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think the fear stems from not knowing. The first thing when I got my clipper was to ask my uncle to show me how to dump the tanks. The first thing I showed my friend when she bought a MH with a black tank was how to dump the tank. Once you get past that first time, it's no big deal.

But getting the nerve up to make that first dump is what keeps folks from using their own facilities. My recommendation is to ask someone to show you how to do it as soon as possible to get over that fear.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I pour my cassette in sewer hole at full hook up sites. I still follow Rule #1 only use Cassette for #1, not #2. Rule #2 is #2 is not allowed in my cassette. Rule #3: if you do not understand rule #1 and #2, use bathhouse .

hayyward likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Are the cookies pyramid shaped?

hayyward likes this.
  6. HC1

HC1 New Member

I use the black as it is intended and dump at the dump station. My camper has a black tank flush so the tank is always clean. I don't even wear gloves when at the dump station and I've seen people in dang near full hazmat gear, give me a break.

Weird remedies bandied about on the forums are placebo effect and really have no bearing on tank cleanliness as long as you use a tank treatment, plenty of water, and dump when the tank is full.

If there is no built in black tank flush they sell wands for this purpose.

A macerator pump can be used to empty a tank at home.

7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

waste water tanks really, are no big deal! I will date myself by saying when my brothers and even my oldest were babies, moms swished out the poo in baby's diaper in the toilet. with our hands. disposables were not affordable "back then" and hot water and soap are fine to wash your hands.
    caregivers of different age groups quickly become less squeamish.

Our new to us camper was truly immaculate. I doubted if it had even been used, until one day I realized the black water tank had a nasty build-up in it. As we begin to use the system, adding chemicals and water, things begin to "soften up" and stink! It's as clean as a black tank needs to be now, doesn't stink when you flush, and it will stay that way now.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That’s exactly what my parents do. They even take a hose to the awning even though it’s frowned on at the campground.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We quite often get a site with FHU for the last night out on a trip, so we can take our time dumping and rinsing the tanks. That's one reason the KOA in Flagstaff has become a regular last night stop, since it's a good distance stop between Grand Canyon or Utah and home. (Since we have a refrigerator and freezer that work well, we also do our grocery shopping for the next week, not having to do that when we arrive home is great.)
    We've gotten pretty proficient at dumping as a team, and our size tanks take far less time to empty than larger ones. However, when I have to dump solo, I have issues with connectors, because my small and arthritic hands don't cope well with them. We've figured tricks for most. Courtenay has an idea for the one at the trailer, so he'll make me a holder for it over the off-season. That will just leave decoupling the two sewer hoses when I only need one as a real problem. I dread getting into a dump station with a line behind me, trying to hurry just makes me nervous and clumsy.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Couldn't resist.......

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

That is my favorite Christmas movie...

Rik Peery likes this.
  12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have always heard you can't smell your own poo haha...

Roy Ken

13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

No no. You can smell it. It just doesn't stink. [LOL] [:)C]

14. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

oh HELL no! we got a black tank, doesnt mean we gotta use it!! use a tree. a bathroom. something. there is a NO POOP rule in our TT! I will NEVER have a draining experience that includes a plop. get a tt, just dont do THAT in it!!!!

15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

It's a toilet. Get over it and use it.

Camper61, Halford, nhlakes and 4 others like this.
  16. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Having your own bathroom, that is even available at roadside stops, is one of the major advantages of having a Tt. We’re in the midst of a 3+ week few thousand mile FL trip. Could not imagine not using toilet, shower, etc. Dumping tanks does not need to be gross.

neighbormike likes this.
  17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Being able to use the facilities at road stops was one of the perks we hadn't really considered when we had to move to the TT. Having the toilet and other facilities - and using them - while being stuck inside overnight in bad weather is wonderful. (We don't use our shower, though; too small, too much work, and for most camping stays it'd used too much gray water capacity.)
    Dumping the tanks isn't my favorite thing to do, though I'd mind it less if my hands coped with the connections better. However, I know some people just cannot cope with it. A friend who will be joining me on a couple of trips this year is one of those - I'll have to send her away from the trailer if I dump the tanks.

18. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

So I'm in-between on this - I have a PUP, but it has a black tank like a TT (just smaller). We have a high-wall with the hard-sided bathroom. And of course it came partially filled by the PO... gross. We handled that in the fall. I'm not really worried about the ongoing emptying process. Last summer before we bought the high-wall we rented a TT to see how we would like that. We emptied it at the dump station on the way out and DH and I both agreed it was not too bad. That trip taught us that we actually prefer a PUP over a TT at this point in our lives and that a PUP with a black-tank would be pretty handy. So I'm looking forward to some FHU camping next summer with my own toilet!!!

kitphantom likes this.
  19. penny

penny Well-Known Member

After a camping trip at a crowded state park ( with nice clean bathrooms) a brisk hike away, we opted to use our own lovely bathroom.

we had planned our dump station stop on the way home, so it was much easier than when we don't know where the next station is.

There is absolutely no question in either of our minds that the minor chore is well worth the great convenience.

kitphantom and neighbormike like this.