one trip out, multiple repairs needed. how much is this going to cost?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Katskamper, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

repair list grows!
    after this weekend, i need multiple repairs ( and a double stiff drink) now:
    • 3 new tires*
      i drive a truck, so 12" camper tires look like my red wagon's tires: i think 12" is too small for Texas roads & any off road camping (TRF)
    • bed rails for front king. I really bent it up. Would an RV slider work?
    • one old style stabilizer foot. broke that too. needs welding to replace. or serious bending of metal to straighten out .
    • figure out right turn signal (remove and rewire back of camper?)
    • * all possible test & repairs that you all have suggested have been done to fix light.
      its NOT the bulb, socket, or ground wire in the light fixture. all new parts.
      it lights, but will not blink.
      and ding dong sing along,
      it ALL worked on my trip in May, but not coming home – apparently.
    • I have DONE all the possible REBUILING and rewiring on what i can access in the light fixture. pictures are here somewhere...
      we used the multimeter and all lines test good, no shorts.
      no obvious wire damage the run of the frame except for one mysterious add on to the GREEN WIRE (right turn signal line) going into the front of the cabin area. no idea. have not taken off that blue crimper to look.
    *possible modifications for the purpose of bigger better tires:
    • axle end hub? change out 4 pin to 5 - better selection of tires and rims in 5 pin config
    • flip leaf spring suspension over axle - higher ground clearance so i can add larger tires that wont meltdown in 95° heat and leave me dead on the side of the road again. my book shows both positions. not sure its within my by myself DIY skill set. I never got to take auto shop classes. fonting up on this job could kill me or someone else.

whats this going to cost me?
    estimates?

being female, we tend to get overcharged by mechanics.
    and i dont have any more time/tools or skills (or husband/boyfriend i would let) fix this.
    and I have a kitchen ceiling project in my house screaming for repairs and attention.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Turn signal could just be a bulb? Btw be careful with the husband /boyfriend thing!

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Several of the items you listed will be easy to remedy. As far as tires get the best you can get
    and do yourself a favor, get them balanced. It is not easy changing tires on the road or repairing the damages when one shreds itself while towing. The tail light should be easy, check the bulb , if this is not the problem check wiggle it around sometimes they get corrosion on the socket, light sand paper usually corrects this problem, if no check the ground. if you do not trust someone to do the job then you will need have find a friend or relative that could give you a hand. Good Luck and happy camping

Katskamper and WVhillbilly like this.
  5. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i do not trust any of my male friends to fix this.
    i know what shape they keep their cars in— junky!

what other brand of tires are good?

i have looked at the spring over kit, but do not trust this job to my skills. or is it easier than it looks? i dont want axle coming off!

6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

You need a better class of male friends.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Carlisle makes a good tire. For me the spring over takes bout an hour to do, but I use air tools. Takes longer to jack it up than moving the axle
    Whoever does the axle, make sure the spring perches are welded to the axle . without welding, no matter how tight u get the u-bolts the axle will turn from braking.
    Just curious, do you need the increased ground clearance?

8. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

!!
    why do you think im STILL single?

GrueMaster, jmkay1 and Ruby Jean like this.
  9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

You could always move to Canada....LOTS of handy dandy fellas here to help...;-)...lol

Katskamper likes this.
  10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I thought they made real men in Texas?

11. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

some. but the best ones are taken.
    and being a very self sufficient woman i have not found one tall enough AND man enough to be a partner in life. but i aint dead yet!
    (my boss lady is married to a man 15 years younger than she.)

but back to the topic of bed rails, better tires- any links?

12. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

When you write that your right rear lights but will not blink, do you mean the brake/turn filament lights but not blink or that the rear light just shows the tail light? You, or someone with a test light can test the circuit fairly easily. That should tell you if it is the whole light fixture itself is bad, (It happens) or a wiring issue. I don't know the labor, $$ the fixture itself I'd guess between $20.00-$45.00 if that's it.

I'll guess when you write swap to a 4 pin to 5, you are talking the lugs/hub set. If you are thinking that and axle flip, a whole new spring over perched axle may be cheaper. Being in the Metroplex, there certainly is a good old fashioned trailer shop somewhere. I mention this as it pays to shop around, and axles are not really RV specific. When I needed a new axle for my utility trailer my cheapest find was actually a local fab shop at $320.00, new brakes and greasable spindles included.

Good luck...

13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Guess TX ain't what it used to be.
    I don't know any guys who couldn't pull off the work that you are looking to do to your trailer.

If you grow up poor, you get handy with tools at an early age, or you walk a lot.

Axle can be bought at Tractor Supply, but you should have many other options in your area.
    An axle isn't hard to find, just need your spring spacing correct.

The bed rails may end up being a salvage item if you can't straighten them or find a new replacement.

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Just curious as to why you need the increased ground clearance

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Because were She's going there are no Roads.

Katskamper likes this.
  16. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Since everyone already suggested testing the bulb (when you've stated that isn't the issue), I'll go for a less obvious route. Get a tester that you can plug into your tow vehicle and see if the wiring harness is wired properly. Mine wasn't. Also, I have had to completely replace my truck's wiring harness for the back end because whoever wired it the first time used splice crimps instead of getting the u-haul inline wiring harness (it plugs into the existing harness between the wires coming to the back of the truck and the harness that splits the two rear light housings). No need for splices, and easy to replace if it corrodes again.

The other possibility is that your tow vehicle turn relay isn't strong enough for your trailer lights. Swap for a heavy duty relay. Most auto parts stores carry them and they are plug&play.

As to the axle swap, I have had estimates from $200-$300 ($200 from my trusted mechanic, $300 from Camping World - notorious for overcharging).

17. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Not according to my Army drill sergeant. 'Texas!! Only things that come from Texas are steers and ...' (I'll leave it at that).

Sorry, can't help with that. My wife wouldn't understand (and would beat the crap out of me). :p

Katskamper likes this.
  18. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 2.14.16 AM.png View attachment 40451 Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 2.09.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 2.05.27 AM.png
    YES! i need bigger better tires that wont melt in the texas heat on our beeat to hello roads.
    shopping screenshots.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  19. joet

joet Well-Known Member

When pricing tires...try wally.com. I have found better pricing. and look for LRD

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If you replaced the rear light , the wiring may be wrong. When I changed my rear light I hooked the matching colors together. Turns out that two of the wires hooked to different colors. When the light blinks it blinks the low power filament and you can't see it. Does the brake light work on that side?